Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do German cars have beautiful exterior designs but poor reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 05:43 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The CLS is a beautiful car but it is a bit too swoopy and that means a lot of compromises that cancel out the idea of a four door sedan. You lose all the head room and greenhouse visibility that a four door Benz offers. I think a proper Benz coupe looks even better, so why not just by the real deal?

But as far as four door coupes are concerned VW did a way better job on its four door coupe than Benz. The VW CC. Too bad about its long term reliability and maintenance costs. But I'd love one of these.

Old 08-04-17, 11:03 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I dunno about beautiful exteriors as of late, many of them just look bland bland bland 3/5/7 look similar other than size, even the S looks like a C ignoring the size
Totally agree with the 3/5/7 looking bland. The 3 series just looks like a regular sedan to me, and everyone and their mom drives one these days. Nothing special about them, unless we start talking M3/4/5/6.

3 series was on my list when I went car shopping. When I actually compared the interior to the IS (F-sport), the IS blew the 3 series away. Much more comfortable and looks a lot more up to date. Plenty of friends own a 3 series and they always mention how they wish they had an interior like the f-sport.

Not to mention the exterior of the IS looks more aggressive as well.
Old 08-05-17, 01:18 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I may be in the minority here but I don't see this as a "beautiful exterior design".

You can impale yourself on the rear door of that thing if you're not careful.
Old 08-05-17, 05:42 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 08-05-17, 06:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Oh boy, from that angle it looks very like an Avalon, wth are they thinking?

Anyway real life issues.....for the 4th time in its life, buddy's wife's Q5 died. 2012, it also consumes oil. CPO. Sunshade broke, $2k to fix, extensive write up DIY online.

Colleague at work who deals cars on the side said absolutely insist on sunshade under CPO. Email my buddy, he calls me on my cell, thanks for the tip a 3rd dealer said they are covering it. As far as the dying thing, dealer #2 did not find anything, no shadow codes, started fine, diagnostic charge $385.

Many German car owners live with the above. My cousin's wife got rid of a 4.8 X5 CPO as it was always at the dealership, and she got a Range Rover instead (huh? lol).

All I can really say is, it is what it is. Professionals only have so much time to be running around dealing with cars, even when loaners are provided, so my philosophy is to not have 2-3 German cars, but maybe just 1. My 335i has been reliable, but one always has it in the back of their minds anything is possible.
Old 08-05-17, 06:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I have 2 German cars in the garage right now and no issues so far. Had 2 right before these nothing with either of them. Just routine maintenence on all of them. These were all my first German vehicles and I'd buy another.

Even though I buy my cars I don't keep them beyond the factory warranties including my Lexus cars.

Last edited by LexBob2; 08-05-17 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-05-17, 03:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That was apparently only one individual car, from one owner, for one model year, eleven years old (2006), and with a different engine than Buick uses here for the Verano. Consumer Reports relies on tens of thousands of surveys....sometimes hundreds of thousands.
That Buick / Opel isn't over engineered though. It's a pretty simple car compared to the twin scroll turbo BMWs which have all these issues. Just because it's European doesn't mean it's over engineered.
Old 08-05-17, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
That Buick / Opel isn't over engineered though. It's a pretty simple car compared to the twin scroll turbo BMWs which have all these issues. Just because it's European doesn't mean it's over engineered.
Some of the Opel-based Buicks have turbos....some don't. Yes, they tend to be simple cars by today's standards, but they are well-built.....in some ways, better than the larger, American-designed Buicks.
Old 08-05-17, 06:40 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Buddy on Fri considering an '18 M3 sedan, and he drove the 6 man and dct back to back. He said there is a '17 6 man that has sat almost a year because nobody wants a clutch.

This kills me. Apparently starting in '18, BMW does the turn signal and washer stalks like everybody else. WTF??! As long as I can remember, there has been no detent on BMWs with respect to these. Apparently research shows this is what people want, the way everyone else does it. This co. Is really going mainstream. Sad. What's next, bikes with automatics and 3 wheels? Lol
Old 08-05-17, 07:12 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 215 Likes on 143 Posts

From what I heard from a few salesman here more than a decade ago, manual 3 series had been special order only for a long time, you can test drive one only when a used one came in ......
Old 08-05-17, 07:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I have 2 German cars in the garage right now and no issues so far. Had 2 right before these nothing with either of them. Just routine maintenence on all of them. These were all my first German vehicles and I'd buy another.

Even though I buy my cars I don't keep them beyond the factory warranties including my Lexus cars.
Any brand is worth getting if you only keep it till the warranty period. Not sure what the big deal is.
Old 08-05-17, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Buddy on Fri considering an '18 M3 sedan, and he drove the 6 man and dct back to back. He said there is a '17 6 man that has sat almost a year because nobody wants a clutch.
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
From what I heard from a few salesman here more than a decade ago, manual 3 series had been special order only for a long time, you can test drive one only when a used one came in ......
Although, yes, there are still a few die-hard enthusiasts that want to stir their own gears, traditional 3-pedal manuals are becoming a harder sell each year. Traffic density in most places is not getting any less, and each new stop light, speed bump, stop sign (or whatever have you) just means that much more stop and go conditions. Most drivers simply just don't want to deal with it any more....and I can't say that I blame them.
Old 08-06-17, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Any brand is worth getting if you only keep it till the warranty period. Not sure what the big deal is.
That's not automatically true. A problematic car even with a warranty is a huge imposition and time suck to be constantly taking it back to the dealer. Especially mainstream cars where the dealers likely don't offer loaners.

My first Jeep was that way, every time I had a service stop it needed to be in the shop for several days to fix a bunch of warranty items, and once or twice we had more time emergent failures where we had to take it in off schedule. Once the day before we left on a family trip to the beach the HVAC control module failed and we had no AC. They luckily had ordered the part for another Jeep owner and the guy gave me his part (sucked for the other guy but I wasn't in a position to take the moral high ground lol). This was a vehicle less than 2 years old.

And each of those times no loaner, so we had to rent a car or carpool and with my schedule being unpredictable and my wife at the time working a 9-5 that was a huge imposition.

I never realized that until I had a problematic car, which I never had truly had until that Jeep. It also makes you worried about upcoming trips, etc.

Now, we liked the Jeep enough to roll the dice again and the 2014 one was perfect for the 14 months we had it until we got the van, but it gives me pause about a Pacifica. If we got a Pacifica like that first Jeep and my wife has to be without her Minivan on a regular basis, you guys are going to be posting on my guestbook at the funeral homes website lol.
Old 08-06-17, 07:45 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

This kills me. Apparently starting in '18, BMW does the turn signal and washer stalks like everybody else. WTF??! As long as I can remember, there has been no detent on BMWs with respect to these. Apparently research shows this is what people want, the way everyone else does it. This co. Is really going mainstream. Sad. What's next, bikes with automatics and 3 wheels? Lol
I utterly despise bmw turn signals, and even made a huge thread on bmw forum where many others shared my views. Im very glad they are switching to normal turn signals in 2018 models.
Old 08-06-17, 07:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I utterly despise bmw turn signals, and even made a huge thread on bmw forum where many others shared my views. Im very glad they are switching to normal turn signals in 2018 models.
What is it that you don't like?

Quick Reply: Why do German cars have beautiful exterior designs but poor reliability?