RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Electrical problem car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 09:01 PM
ttnguyen23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem car will not start

I have 2007 RX350.. Recently I replace with a new battery. By accidently I install the wrong polarity on battery.
I can hear the car alarm turned on.

Right away I disconnect the two terminal wires to the battery .I reinstall to the correct terminal to the battery.
I check the battery with voltmeter and it read 12.8VDC.

I insert the masker key in. Apply the brake and the transmission gear in Parking mode. I can see all instrument lights are on.
But no sound from starter,
I notice I can remote lock and unlock all the doors. But I all windows, moon roof are not working manually or remotely.
Also rear door can not open.
All interior lights and headlight are working. Radio, Navigation, AC is not working.

I check the main fuse box in engine compartment. I found 30A fuse {AMP} is burned. I replace with a new one. I see some big fuse such as100A but I cannot pull out to test it. Any suggestion?
But engine is still not cranking.
I need some help???
Questions:
1. Where is the fuse box inside the driver side?
2. How to remove 100A fuse out so I can test it.
3. Any suggestion what to check fuses, fuse links....?
3. Key problem????

Thanks
Old 07-19-17, 09:04 PM
ttnguyen23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ttnguyen23
I have 2007 RX350.. Recently I replace with a new battery. By accidently I install the wrong polarity on battery.
I can hear the car alarm turned on.

Right away I disconnect the two terminal wires to the battery .I reinstall to the correct terminal to the battery.
I check the battery with voltmeter and it read 12.8VDC.

I insert the masker key in. Apply the brake and the transmission gear in Parking mode. I can see all instrument lights are on.
But no sound from starter,
I notice I can remote lock and unlock all the doors. But I all windows, moon roof are not working manually or remotely.
Also rear door can not open.
All interior lights and headlight are working. Radio, Navigation, AC is not working.

I check the main fuse box in engine compartment. I found 30A fuse {AMP} is burned. I replace with a new one. I see some big fuse such as100A but I cannot pull out to test it. Any suggestion?
But engine is still not cranking.
I need some help???
Questions:
1. Where is the fuse box inside the driver side?
2. How to remove 100A fuse out so I can test it.
3. Any suggestion what to check fuses, fuse links....?
3. Key problem????

Thanks
Y

Anyone have workshop book or electrical schematic to share with me?
Thanks
Old 07-20-17, 02:26 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Try to reset the key, refer to the video here, or if you have Techstream that can work also:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-working.html
Old 07-20-17, 04:40 AM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Similar problem with the solution (however was for an rx330):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rks-yikes.html
Old 07-20-17, 03:16 PM
ttnguyen23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
Try to reset the key, refer to the video here, or if you have Techstream that can work also:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-working.html
I followed your link and I think my Master key is Ok.
Thanks
Old 07-20-17, 03:29 PM
ttnguyen23
Driver School Candidate

I followed your link and I think my Master key is Ok.
Thanks
et

Today I check my Master key and the key are checked OK.
I continue checked on all the fuse in Main box behind the battery. Found so far 3 fuses were burned:
Fuse # 19, 10A ETCS Multiport Fuel Engine Injection System
Fuse # 23, 15A Radio#1, Audio, Nav System
Fuse#26, 30A, Amp, Audio System
I also check all the fuses underneath driver side panel. All fuses are OK.
Try to start the car again. Nothing happen. No cranking. All instruments like is OK. All windows and Tail gate door is not working. Radio, ,Navigation is not working.
Any other suggestions????
I wonder the alternator fuse link or starter have something to do with it??????
Old 07-20-17, 03:32 PM
ttnguyen23
Driver School Candidate

et

Today I check my Master key and the key are checked OK.
I continue checked on all the fuse in Main box behind the battery. Found so far 3 fuses were burned:
Fuse # 19, 10A ETCS Multiport Fuel Engine Injection System
Fuse # 23, 15A Radio#1, Audio, Nav System
Fuse#26, 30A, Amp, Audio System
I also check all the fuses underneath driver side panel. All fuses are OK.
Try to start the car again. Nothing happen. No cranking. All instruments like is OK. All windows and Tail gate door is not working. Radio, ,Navigation is not working.
Any other suggestions????
I wonder the alternator fuse link or starter have something to do with it??????
Note: All 3 bad fused have been replaced before I restart the engine.
Old 07-20-17, 04:59 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you checked the fusible link? On the RX330 if the alternator link blows many circuits lose their power on the supply side of their fuses.

One way to check the link is to check for voltage (with the engine not running) on the output terminal of the alternator. If the link is blown, I believe there should be no voltage present.
The following users liked this post:
NVAKeith (07-20-17)
Old 07-20-17, 09:49 PM
ttnguyen23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoeInHNL
Have you checked the fusible link? On the RX330 if the alternator link blows many circuits lose their power on the supply side of their fuses.

One way to check the link is to check for voltage (with the engine not running) on the output terminal of the alternator. If the link is blown, I believe there should be no voltage present.
John.
Thanks for your respond.
Is the voltage will be there on the time or I have turn the key to ON but not start the engine?
Old 07-21-17, 01:46 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

John.
Thanks for your respond.
Is the voltage will be there on the time or I have turn the key to ON but not start the engine?
Turn the key to Accessory....
if you do not read any voltage at the alternator, most likely the 140A fuse link is blown as the alternator isn't receiving any current.
This fuse is normally located under the fuse boxes although it wouldn't be a bad idea to verify the Ignition Relay & Starter Relay while you are there.
Once all that is in order & the vehicle starts, I would also test the alternator, some diodes may have been damaged also.
Another solution would be to wire in another 140A Fuse Link as in the photo below:
Attached Thumbnails Electrical problem car will not start-14afuse.jpg  

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 07-21-17 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-21-17, 01:57 AM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming a 2007 RX350 is similar to a 2004 RX330, yes normally there should be voltage present at the output terminal (under the rubber cover) of the alternator with the ignition OFF or ON if the alternator fusible link is not blown.

On the RX330 the 140 amp alternator fusible link supplies power to the 100 amp fusible link (supplying the instrument panel junction box). If either fusible link is blown on an RX330 the car will not start (no power to the starter relay), and various systems powered from the instrument panel junction box will not work. This sounds like what you are experiencing, again assuming the 350 and 330 electrical systems are similar.
Hope this helps.

Aloha, Joe
Old 07-21-17, 07:37 AM
ttnguyen23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
Turn the key to Accessory....
if you do not read any voltage at the alternator, most likely the 140A fuse link is blown as the alternator isn't receiving any current.
This fuse is normally located under the fuse boxes although it wouldn't be a bad idea to verify the Ignition Relay & Starter Relay while you are there.
Once all that is in order & the vehicle starts, I would also test the alternator, some diodes may have been damaged also.
Another solution would be to wire in another 140A Fuse Link as in the photo below:
Is the fuse link picture is original or aftermarket manufacturing?
Old 07-21-17, 07:47 AM
ttnguyen23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoeInHNL
Assuming a 2007 RX350 is similar to a 2004 RX330, yes normally there should be voltage present at the output terminal (under the rubber cover) of the alternator with the ignition OFF or ON if the alternator fusible link is not blown.

On the RX330 the 140 amp alternator fusible link supplies power to the 100 amp fusible link (supplying the instrument panel junction box). If either fusible link is blown on an RX330 the car will not start (no power to the starter relay), and various systems powered from the instrument panel junction box will not work. This sounds like what you are experiencing, again assuming the 350 and 330 electrical systems are similar.
Hope this helps.

Aloha, Joe
Joe,
Last night I discovers on of the terminal with screw labeled + on the main fuse box does not measured 12 VDC respected to Gnd. I need to close look where it wired to. It must be a fuse or something disconnect the 12vdc+ from battery terminal to main fuse box +.terminal. Any idea?
Does someone have 2007 RX350 wiring diagram tell me where to check?

Thanks
Old 07-21-17, 08:38 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Is the fuse link picture is original or aftermarket manufacturing?
Aftermarket....Rockford 140 Amp Circuit Breaker, Excellent Reviews, inexpensive & practical;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VTDUKI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VTDUKI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-21-17, 11:37 AM
ttnguyen23
Driver School Candidate

Joe,
Last night I discovers on of the terminal with screw labeled + on the main fuse box does not measured 12 VDC respected to Gnd. I need to close look where it wired to. It must be a fuse or something disconnect the 12vdc+ from battery terminal to main fuse box +.terminal. Any idea?
Does someone have 2007 RX350 wiring diagram tell me where to check?

Thanks
I desperate to see someone post the wiring diagram from battery to fuse box. alternator and starter. I think problem somewhere in this circuit. I found no +12vdc at fuse box labeled +.

Two big fuses 140A and 100A I can not pullout to check it. I wonder should I remove the main fuse box to access to those fuses.
Any idea from the group?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Electrical problem car will not start