RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 02:37 PM
jorland
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with Michelins, you were never be disappointed. I just put them on my 2013 ES350 and they a great, especially in the rain.
Old 07-19-17, 06:16 PM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm tempted to try the PS4S, my PSS were never very confident in wet conditions and felt "floaty" in heavy rain. Plus they are super rough on Louisiana roads, which are only a rainy day away from being fresh from a gravel pit.
Old 07-19-17, 10:57 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by jorland
Go with Michelins, you were never be disappointed. I just put them on my 2013 ES350 and they a great, especially in the rain.
You must know that your ES and an RCF are in no way similar in handling!

Lou
Old 07-20-17, 05:09 AM
647TTA
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tarponman
Has anyone tried the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires?
A few years ago my neighbor had the Firestones on his 08 Corvette and I had the Michelin on my 08 Corvette. The Firestones had noticeably more sidewall flex which made his feel a little sloppy when driving aggressively. Other than that, he was happy with them. I continue to use the Michelin tires on my performance cars - and the Fiero GT too
Old 07-20-17, 05:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont over look the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport, pretty much PSS performance (not PS4S) but less expensive, 1 year road hazard, 60 day trial period too. Almost looks like PSS also, some reverse engineering going on there.
Old 07-20-17, 05:48 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

After driving a GT350R last night, I would definitely recommend the Pilot Sport Cup 2s if you are looking for a more track focused tire. I'm not sure how they will wear, but the grip is second to none.

Nick C.
Old 07-20-17, 07:01 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Wink

I stand by my recommendations for tires:

You guys are driving "Performance" cars...

If not...You're probably like this below:

Originally Posted by 16GSF00336
Could you not run set-ups like "Supercars" namely "GTR":

Daily Tires:

Track Day Tires:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
After driving a GT350R last night, I would definitely recommend the Pilot Sport Cup 2s if you are looking for a more track focused tire. I'm not sure how they will wear, but the grip is second to none.

Nick C.

Last edited by 16GSF00336; 07-20-17 at 07:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (07-21-17)
Old 07-20-17, 09:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Racing tires on a DD are not just ill advised, it's foolish. They will never get to temperature, and will never work as intended. The tires you have shown are track tires, not street tires. If it rains, you're in for a passenger ride sitting behind the wheel.

There are many choices for tires. Telling people not running track tires because they are driving a "performance" car and expecting them to change their minds just isn't happening. I could put Michelin A/S3s on the GS F and be perfectly happy for the car's primary purpose - hauling the kids, getting groceries, taking the wife to and from work safely. I could do the same for my IS F and Supra for 99% of my driving.

Buy tires that deliver what you need for the driving you do. If you track the car AND you are concerned about lap times, then get a spare set of wheels with competition tires. If you just want to safely explore the car's limits, run whatever is on the car and you'll have fun, learn a lot, and not find yourself on rubber that will suddenly decide traction is no longer available as competition tires like to do.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (07-21-17)
Old 07-20-17, 11:31 PM
Suburbazin
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Racing tires on a DD are not just ill advised, it's foolish. They will never get to temperature, and will never work as intended. The tires you have shown are track tires, not street tires. If it rains, you're in for a passenger ride sitting behind the wheel.

There are many choices for tires. Telling people not running track tires because they are driving a "performance" car and expecting them to change their minds just isn't happening. I could put Michelin A/S3s on the GS F and be perfectly happy for the car's primary purpose - hauling the kids, getting groceries, taking the wife to and from work safely. I could do the same for my IS F and Supra for 99% of my driving.

Buy tires that deliver what you need for the driving you do. If you track the car AND you are concerned about lap times, then get a spare set of wheels with competition tires. If you just want to safely explore the car's limits, run whatever is on the car and you'll have fun, learn a lot, and not find yourself on rubber that will suddenly decide traction is no longer available as competition tires like to do.
I ran ET Street S/S on mine for about 7000 miles, when the traction ran out. In the rain. On the interstate.
Old 07-21-17, 01:36 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So what happened to you?

Did you crash?

Originally Posted by Suburbazin
I ran ET Street S/S on mine for about 7000 miles, when the traction ran out. In the rain. On the interstate.
Old 07-21-17, 02:02 AM
Suburbazin
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusrus
So what happened to you?

Did you crash?
I got a really good look at the pickup truck behind me, came back around, almost had control again when I went down the shoulder into the ditch. Crossed the ditch and rode up the far side a little bit, then punched it (on bald tires, in mud) back across the ditch and halfway up the shoulder. Damage? Occasionally I find places where I permanently lodged vegetation in seams.

But hey, Lexus Enform sent me a tow truck and towed me all the way back to town, for free.

PS: Traction/Stability control means jack when water skating. It got in the way big time too.
Old 07-21-17, 08:24 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Lobuxracer is 100% correct. Don't run racing tires on the street. PSS are not racing tires, they are high-performance street tires and if we are all honest - we don't even need PSS.
Take a look at the latest car and driver (the one with the new Civic Si on it), they ran a test of high-performance street tires in conjunction with Tire Rack. The results of this test may help the OP and other readers make an informed decision about what to run as a replacement. As mentioned further up in the thread and supported by the article I mentioned, the Continental is a very good option. However, the Michelin did win the test convincingly.
Old 07-21-17, 10:07 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Concerning Continental. Prior to changing to my current tire of choice, the Bridgestone Potenza S-04, I ran Continental Extreme Contact DW. At 6K miles they developed a rumble and sing that was overwhelming, I contacted Continental and they were of absolutely no help I went back to Discount Tire and they took them back without issue and replaced them with the S-04s for less than $200 I'll never buy anything labeled "Continental" again.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xtreme-dw.html

Lou
Old 07-21-17, 01:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Concerning Continental...I'll never buy anything labeled "Continental" again.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xtreme-dw.html

Lou
The shop where I bought my new bicycle sold me Continental GP4000s II in 700x23. They're really great tires. Unfortunately, they don't work on my bicycle. The clearance between the brake bridge and the tire is only about 2 mm, and the Conti's were fine for the first 150 miles, then they went out of round and started rubbing on the frame (!?!?!?). So for all the money I spent to save some watts with aerodynamics, the tires were conspiring to take them away (and more) by rubbing. I went to the Cervelo forums and found Cervelo does not recommend Continental tires for their S and P bikes because they are dimensionally unstable. I replaced them with Vittorias, and now, zero issues.

One more disappointment for Continental tires...
Old 07-21-17, 01:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^I'm not as esoteric as you I'm running Vittoria Rubino Pro tires also in 700x23 on my bicycle. However my frame is a classic, meaning OLD! It's a Peugeot competition made with Reynolds 531 DB tubing.

Lou

Quick Reply: New Tires