IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is there any problems with the IS350?

Old 04-25-17, 04:47 AM
drewlims
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Is there any problems with the IS350?

Hey guys I'm planning to get a Lexus Is350 F Sport (2017) is there any common problems out there ? Is there anything I should be careful for ? And is it worth it ? Thanks
Old 04-25-17, 05:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,475 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Hey, welcome to the forum.

There are some things to keep in mind with the IS350: 1) The tires. If you get the F Sport model or if it's equipped with "high performance" tires, they are going to wear out faster than most. Some users on this forum end up replacing tires at 20,000-30,000 miles, sometimes less depending on conditions. 2) The brakes. If you are looking at an F Sport model, the brake pads are going to wear out more quickly than most due to the high-friction compound of which they are made. Some replace them at 15,000 miles, sometimes more or less depending on driving style and climate. You can get aftermarket brake pads, however, which may give you better performance for less money. 3) The interior build quality. I've made a couple threads about various rattles and ticks in the IS, and I have seen others as well. If you live somewhere with cracked or broken pavement that causes cars to vibrate as they roll across it, you will probably encounter some rattles, even if the car is fairly new. Honestly, it's not a deal breaker for me, but it is annoying. If you aren't sensitive to it or like to listen to the radio all the time, forget I mentioned it.

As far as major things breaking, I honestly don't know right now, but maybe someone else on the forum could chip in?

Is it worth it? Yes. The car is very pleasant to drive when you want it to be but is also fun when you want it to be. Compared to its competitors, it's one of the most reliable and has a bit more of a sporty personality than most, from the design to the way it drives. You have to test drive it though, preferably in multiple trims. Whether you want the F Sport version or not will likely depend on whether you want some of the luxury features that aren't available on F Sport (such as memory seats).

(I don't have the IS 350 - I have an IS 300, but it's pretty similar in that it has the same 3.5-liter V6 engine.)

Hope this was helpful, though I must add this was a pretty broad question.
Old 04-25-17, 06:28 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I will add to what arentz07 said, and I will call them annoyances instead of problems. I've had my '14 350 F Sport for almost 3 1/2 years and I'm extremely happy with it. I've encountered minor rattles, as mentioned, that tend to be worse at certain times of the year.
To expand on the brake issues - if you get an F-Sport you WILL experience major brake dust. Prepare yourself. My pads have been replaced and this is no longer an issue.
I love my car and feel it was worth it.

This is my first Lexus, but based on what others say about reliability, there shouldn't be any major problems unless you get a lemon.
Also, understand that some options aren't available on the F Sport that are available on non-F Sport trims (and vice versa).

Educate yourself and make sure you're ok with those sacrifices before signing the dotted line.
Old 04-25-17, 06:39 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The Is350 f-sport is different than the other versions of f-sport because of AVS (adaptive variable suspension). It handles really well because of it. Make sure when you test drive to put it in Sport+ and not just regular sport as that activates the tighter suspension.

I've had my Is350 for 30k miles and it's rattle free. I've gone through two sets of brakes though
Old 04-25-17, 10:33 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Hey, welcome to the forum.

There are some things to keep in mind with the IS350: 1) The tires. If you get the F Sport model or if it's equipped with "high performance" tires, they are going to wear out faster than most. Some users on this forum end up replacing tires at 20,000-30,000 miles, sometimes less depending on conditions. 2) The brakes. If you are looking at an F Sport model, the brake pads are going to wear out more quickly than most due to the high-friction compound of which they are made. Some replace them at 15,000 miles, sometimes more or less depending on driving style and climate. You can get aftermarket brake pads, however, which may give you better performance for less money. 3) The interior build quality. I've made a couple threads about various rattles and ticks in the IS, and I have seen others as well. If you live somewhere with cracked or broken pavement that causes cars to vibrate as they roll across it, you will probably encounter some rattles, even if the car is fairly new. Honestly, it's not a deal breaker for me, but it is annoying. If you aren't sensitive to it or like to listen to the radio all the time, forget I mentioned it.

As far as major things breaking, I honestly don't know right now, but maybe someone else on the forum could chip in?

Is it worth it? Yes. The car is very pleasant to drive when you want it to be but is also fun when you want it to be. Compared to its competitors, it's one of the most reliable and has a bit more of a sporty personality than most, from the design to the way it drives. You have to test drive it though, preferably in multiple trims. Whether you want the F Sport version or not will likely depend on whether you want some of the luxury features that aren't available on F Sport (such as memory seats).

(I don't have the IS 350 - I have an IS 300, but it's pretty similar in that it has the same 3.5-liter V6 engine.)

Hope this was helpful, though I must add this was a pretty broad question.
+1 on the ticks and rattles. I have a IS350 16k miles. Whenever I roll on uneven pavements or bad roads, I hear slight noises coming from the driver side door panels or vents. Could never tell exactly where... it comes and goes as well. =\
Old 04-25-17, 11:37 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Just to add a few things - I have a 16 200t F-Sport and while the summer tires are fun when its dry, they are miserable where I live. Too much inclement weather. I'm going to replace them at the end of the summer with all-season, even though I"ll only be at 10K miles or so. I get bad brake dust too, but there is a good thread in here on replacements that solve that problem. Otherwise I love the car. You may want to look at a few of the things you don't get in the F-sport - most notably memory seats. So if you share the car a lot with another driver, there is no memory position (unless they fixed that in 17, but I'm not aware they did).

FWIW, I get Consumer Reports magazine an the IS as a whole gets nearly perfect marks across the board for reliability and owner satisfaction.
Old 04-25-17, 03:46 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I will add to what arentz07 said, and I will call them annoyances instead of problems. I've had my '14 350 F Sport for almost 3 1/2 years and I'm extremely happy with it. I've encountered minor rattles, as mentioned, that tend to be worse at certain times of the year.
To expand on the brake issues - if you get an F-Sport you WILL experience major brake dust. Prepare yourself. My pads have been replaced and this is no longer an issue.
I love my car and feel it was worth it.

This is my first Lexus, but based on what others say about reliability, there shouldn't be any major problems unless you get a lemon.
Also, understand that some options aren't available on the F Sport that are available on non-F Sport trims (and vice versa).

Educate yourself and make sure you're ok with those sacrifices before signing the dotted line.
What did you change your brakes to?
Old 04-25-17, 05:23 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

This thread has some good brake pad information.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...or-is200t.html
Old 04-25-17, 05:50 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
What did you change your brakes to?
Centric Premium High Carbon Rotors and Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads