SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Negotiating

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 09:18 AM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negotiating

Ok may be a stupid question but any thoughts trying to negotiate on price for a 2004 SC430 63,688 Miles priced at $16,891. It's 2 owner clean Carfax and for added protection I'm takin it to Lexus to check. Every site I check, and I've checked all of them, is around 16,000 some around 17,000.
Dealer had it priced at 18,000 the 16,891 is "internet special". I thought I would offer 15,000 and see where it goes. Is that too low? I'm thinking it's a good place to start since I'm willing to go pretty close to asking. Any thoughts advice would be very much appreciated!
Thanks
Pam
Old 04-25-17, 09:37 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Since you're the buyer you can offer whatever you like. My 2002 SC430 has 104k and I got it for $11.4k which IMO was a steal. Here in Raleigh, NC they are very hard to find (I had it shipped from Palm Beach Florida). Not that it's for sale but I wouldn't sell it for less than $14k. Values in this area are starting to tick up a bit as good example are in short supply.
Old 04-25-17, 09:47 AM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

Default Negotiating

Thanks Kevin you're a peach! I guess I feel it won't hurt to start at 15 maybe 15500 see what response is. Hopefully they won't throw me out but I'm willing to go up. Thanks again. This is a surprise for my son and I've researched it to death for the last 3,4 weeks. I think this is the best choice so I'm going for it. I've never done this much research and worried about it buying a car for me.
Old 04-25-17, 09:53 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Good luck with your quest to have an SC. Most recently, there has been a rash of new buyers of the SC, at least that we know of, due to the most recent postings like this.

Good luck to your quest. You will be happy.
Old 04-25-17, 11:05 AM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much! I'm very hopeful and having great faith it's actually a surprise for my son. So send me good thoughts!
Old 04-25-17, 11:33 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Call (do not go in) the dealership and ask to speak to the used car sales manager (not a salesperson) and ask the manager for their best "drive out" price. That means sales price, plus dealer fees, sales tax and tag/title fee. Insist that you need a written price via email and that you will not be coming in under any circumstances. Once you have their best price go ahead and accept it or make them a bottom line offer on that same drive out total. In other words lets say they give you a final drive out of $19,852.00 including all fees, taxes, etc. You then reply via phone with follow up email (under no circumstances go into the dealer) that you will pay $18,500 drive out. They will whine and complain about that not how the numbers and the sales process works but that's just BS. Tell them they can adjust their dealer fees and sales price anyway they want so long as the drive out total comes to $18,500 including taxes and all fees and not one penny more. The key here is to always negotiate from the true bottom line not some BS sales price that then gets fees heaped on it so they can recoup profits. This is the smart way to negotiate for a used car. Of course the dealer folks will hate you since you are not playing the typical sucker.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-25-17 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 11:44 AM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

wow thanks so much! That's a fabulous idea especially since the car is in Memphis and I'm in Nashville. I am absolutely going to do that and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm starting to feel like I got this and will be bring this car home.
Thanks again...YOU ROCK. Also I plan on paying cash so I'm hoping that might also help tho I'm sure they prefer I finance.

Last edited by Pjoy; 04-25-17 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-25-17, 12:28 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pjoy
wow thanks so much! That's a fabulous idea especially since the car is in Memphis and I'm in Nashville. I am absolutely going to do that and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm starting to feel like I got this and will be bring this car home.
Thanks again...YOU ROCK. Also I plan on paying cash so I'm hoping that might also help tho I'm sure they prefer I finance.
the price and miles are pretty good if it is in excellent shape with a maintenance history including the timing belt change and water pump. color is not the biggest factor, but, it does play into popularity sometimes. Mine is the silver with black, 2002, with 60K miles and like new. A friend of my nephew recently offered me 15K for it since he also like the TRD VIP wheels; but, I just can't part with it. As much as I like the ecru color interior, it is the most difficult to keep clean and tends to show more wear. IMO, the black or saddle interiors show best unless you find a Pebble Beach with the bright red interior and they are pricier for that model.

What color in and out is yours; and I totally second the negotiation by email without going in if you decide to purchase it. I prefer to pay cash also, but, have learned if you finance a portion of the price with the dealer, they get a kick back from the lender if you make at least 3 or 4 payments before paying off the balance; I was told it can be around a $20 to $300 kickback which you can remind them is profit for them.

Good luck; you're a good parent and your son is lucky! We'll want to see photos of course!
Old 04-25-17, 01:17 PM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the compliment but he really deserves good grades no trouble college and had to kinda step in help out with his sister from early on dad checked out but u know that story....it is also silver has the saddle interior 63k miles. Has the manual and first aid kit still with it. It also shows what appears to me is a tire changing kit but I didn't see a spare. Pics it looks very clean Carfax 2 owners lots of mantence records no wrecks...so based on looks anyway seems like a winner it's at a Toyota dealership but I am definitely going to do the email negotiating but I think I'm going to add my end of deal is contingent on being able to take it over to Lexus dealer for a good once over just to make sure. So I hope to post some pics of it soon for all to see....I may be more excited about this than he will be.
Old 04-25-17, 01:23 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

That's a fair price. Those engines are BULLETPROOF. $15k for a 430 with 6x,xxx miles is great! Hope you get it my friend. I just got a 2006 GS430 the other day with 122,xxx miles for $11k. So that's not a bad price! Let us know what happens fam. GodBless!!
Old 04-25-17, 01:38 PM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

thanks so much for the encouragement and good thoughts! The great advice and also confirming it's a great car is sooo encouraging which helps alot. I have great faith and guess now I'll start that whole visualizing... driving home.😎😎And that will be a nice relaxing fun drive 200 miles to bring it back.
Old 04-25-17, 01:58 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

thanks so much for the encouragement and good thoughts! The great advice and also confirming it's a great car is sooo encouraging which helps alot. I have great faith and guess now I'll start that whole visualizing... driving home.😎😎And that will be a nice relaxing fun drive 200 miles to bring it back.
Yes sir!!! Those 430 engines are really great!!! They're the same mostly on all GS SC and LS models. So the main problem issues are all common. They can all be found here on CL. After 5 years and 50k miles later daily driven I'm convinced! Only thing I'd say it's the main thing in maintenance for these engines despite oil and filter is find a good mechanic that genuinely cares for you and have them check the gaskets before and after your catalytic converters every 6 months! These engines tend to have exhaust leaks and they tend to turn on the check engine light and make a loud noise after a while (when you've let it get really bad the exhaust sounds horrible)... But the gaskets are less then $20 and to replace them should be less then $120. If you stay on top of that you should be good year round. Oil and filter, exhaust inspection for deteriorated gaskets every 6 months, brakes and you ready to go!
Old 04-25-17, 02:08 PM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

excellent info! Thanks so much. Im so glad i asked the question since ive gotten such great information. I think i love u guys😘 and im actually going to write down what u told me so we remember to do it
Old 04-25-17, 02:23 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

excellent info! Thanks so much. Im so glad i asked the question since ive gotten such great information. I think i love u guys😘 and im actually going to write down what u told me so we remember to do it
Yes sir!!! The car is good if you treat it good. Trust. Enjoy it and keep it as safe as you can. Club Lexus is really a great forum and all the members are great human beings. Very helpful here. Enjoy and GodBless!
Old 04-25-17, 02:28 PM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

thanks again....im obviously new on here but the interaction i had today was great. Nice to know people are willing to take a few minutes to help and the feedback has made it all the more exciting

Quick Reply: Negotiating