Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 10:53 AM
cbus
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific13
I understand that you patch the ECU in live by the net. Hum.. I would have prefered to extract the original file, forward same to Tony who make the necessaries corrections/modifications and forward back to reload. You remain in control of all the process and can decide to load the new file when you want and if not satisfied or everything else you can reload the original file allowing to use the car in the normal way. In fact it is exactly the same operation than to load a software on your computer and with no risk.
This. Requiring constant internet for the reflash is WAY TOO RISKY. I don't want to leave something as important as my FI-ECU to chance like that. Seriously reconsidering this altogether at the moment.

It sounds like this is not the case. Carry on

Last edited by cbus; 04-17-17 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-17-17, 10:54 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific13
I understand that you patch the ECU in live by the net. Hum.. I would have prefered to extract the original file, forward same to Tony who make the necessaries corrections/modifications and forward back to reload. You remain in control of all the process and can decide to load the new file when you want and if not satisfied or everything else you can reload the original file allowing to use the car in the normal way. In fact it is exactly the same operation than to load a software on your computer and with no risk.
That is the process, you only use the internet access to email the file. I made sure and kept both stock and modified files in separate folders so there wouldn't be any mix up when choosing them, and i followed each step correctly. I have no idea what went wrong on the install ,but i know this would now leave a negative view on ecu re flashing.

Last edited by Sheddy; 04-17-17 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Pacific13 (04-17-17)
Old 04-17-17, 02:28 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheddy
i know this would now leave a negative view on ecu re flashing.
maybe just on the process in this particular case, reflash is definitely the way to go. i'd have done it if i had a laptop. sounds like tti is handling it properly.

Last edited by gbgary; 04-17-17 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 03:55 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,607 Posts

That's part of the problem with this kind of mod... too much variability. Someone would have to follow the instructions to the tee and absolutely be sure their battery doesn't run low or go offline. Mods, maintenance history, etc can all introduce wildcards into the mix. I used to flash BMW DMEs (german speak for ECU) and the flash would take an hour. I'd make absolutely sure that the laptop/device doing the uploading had a fully charged battery and connected to an external power source for backup. And even then you were at the mercy of the receiving car's battery not dying (I made sure it's a new battery and on an external trickle charge) etc etc. Very risky! all devices and all units have to be healthy and fully charged AND connected to a redundant power source. and you'd have to pray nothing goes wrong, you don't short anything etc. This makes the piggy back look really attractive as its a plug and play. So to anyone who does this, of course be extremely careful! Hope OP gets it resolved. =(
The following users liked this post:
IS200TFOWL (04-17-17)
Old 04-17-17, 03:59 PM
cbus
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I reflash cars at work all the time. It isn't as scary as you think, but it's definitely something that requires special care and attention if you don't want to ruin things.
Old 04-17-17, 07:38 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
lol...i'm sorry. didn't notice that. best of luck.

i know it's beating a dead horse but that's why i like the hand-held programmer method.
Sorry I ment *live in UAE

Yes I agree but handheld might be bit hard to develop since all tuners will try to keep this as a secret to milk it as much as possible since R&D that went into it is allot
Old 04-17-17, 07:59 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cbus
This. Requiring constant internet for the reflash is WAY TOO RISKY. I don't want to leave something as important as my FI-ECU to chance like that. Seriously reconsidering this altogether at the moment.

It sounds like this is not the case. Carry on
Sadly cbus it is the case, as they told me the tool for some reason requires constant internet access, which I think kinda complicates the process and honestly from my point view they should think how to simplify it and make it less complicated, I have loaded tunes on my previous Evos over 200 times never had an issue because there is no complication once you have the map all u need is to connect-ignition-load and TADAAAAA done

That is the process, you only use the internet access to email the file. I made sure and kept both stock and modified files in separate folders so there wouldn't be any mix up when choosing them, and i followed each step correctly. I have no idea what went wrong on the install ,but i know this would now leave a negative view on ecu re flashing.
Sheddy bro your mistaken tool requires all time internet access, as I have been told that what happened to me was because the tuning tool lost internet connection during the loading process of the MAP

Originally Posted by cbus
I reflash cars at work all the time. It isn't as scary as you think, but it's definitely something that requires special care and attention if you don't want to ruin things.
I agree I have done it to my other car and friends so many times and never had an issue

Update on my case, Tony & TTi are being super helpful and supportive all the way responding to all my questions and even Tony gave me his number and we are communicating on whatsapp to speed things up, I am shipping my ECU to them today and they are sure that can recover it, will keep you all posted and I guess this is a new thing for TTI and for us and we will all learn something once we come out of it

Last edited by Nuke; 04-17-17 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 09:50 PM
PGARazor
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nuke,

Just curious if sending the ECU to TTI be better than doing it thru the internet.
Old 04-17-17, 10:10 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PGARazor
Nuke,

Just curious if sending the ECU to TTI be better than doing it thru the internet.
Well am not sure if they will offer this as a service but you gotta bare in mind that during the time your ECU is off the car you wont be able to use it, some people might have a problem with that like me since I only have one car, also some people won't be comfortable with the idea of removing the ECU of the car

See there is nothing wrong with ECU flashing and am talking from experience with other cars, I just think that the tool needs to be more mature which will take time and mistakes like this one
Old 04-17-17, 10:27 PM
PGARazor
Driver

I'm tempted to do Stage 1 with stock motor with refund coming any day know.
Old 04-17-17, 10:29 PM
PGARazor
Driver

if i do Stage 1, will i have to restore ti factory settings when taking car in for service? Regular Maintenace, oil change, etc
Old 04-17-17, 10:35 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PGARazor
if i do Stage 1, will i have to restore ti factory settings when taking car in for service? Regular Maintenace, oil change, etc
nope as dealer wont need to look into ur ECU unless you haev CEL errors so no need to worry
The following 2 users liked this post by Nuke:
matttev (05-10-17), PGARazor (04-17-17)
Old 04-17-17, 11:37 PM
PGARazor
Driver

Originally Posted by Nuke
nope as dealer wont need to look into ur ECU unless you haev CEL errors so no need to worry

Outstanding
Old 04-18-17, 04:26 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Ok makes sense, my mistake. I will recommend doing the install at your home while connected to Wifi
Old 04-18-17, 05:15 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Ok makes sense, my mistake. I will recommend doing the install at your home while connected to Wifi
thats what I did....but there was a wifi fluctuation I guess

Quick Reply: IS200t tune