RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

After all these years, do you still like your RX 300 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 10:51 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts
Default After all these years, do you still like your RX 300 ?

The RX 300 might not be the fastest, gets the best MOG and has all the latest tech, but I still think these RX body style is timlesss and I would not trade her in for A new RX Happy motoring

I

Old 02-08-17, 06:30 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

I still love it, but I won't lie and say I don't have an itch to get something else after over 10 years with it. Thinking about a 2014+ GS350 or perhaps a 2013+ F Sport RX350 towards the end of this year, probably during the December to Remember event. But other days, I have the urge to make this puppy run till 300k miles!!! Regardless, I won't be getting rid of the RX anytime soon, still runs like a champ. Will likely end up as the winter beater if I do get a newer car.
Old 02-08-17, 05:10 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I am in for the long haul have so many accessories not fitted worth as much as car.
Old 02-08-17, 09:08 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I still like it a lot. It's the perfect size. I'd love to have a new NX for a second/snow/cargo vehicle (which is how I use this), and I'd probably buy an NX rather than an RX. I believe the NX is within an inch of being the same length as our first-gen RX.
Old 02-09-17, 06:22 PM
RX_SUV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed with Jonas's RX. It's timeless and gorgeous till this day comparing to some of the newer models. I have 365,000 miles on it and will continue to drive it till it dies. It still has original engine/transmission adding a few timing belt replacement along scheduled oil and fluid changes. It runs and runs. Love it!
Old 02-10-17, 08:51 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

In retrospect, I wish I had kept the RX, and avoided the whole "trading the RX300 for a useless car, then trading that 5 weeks later for the LS430" thing. There were some aspects of the RX I really liked. Interior, reliability, ease of use for my wife who is NOT Tech savy at all. It fit the bill.
I almost would consider picking another one up and selling the 2005 LS, just to lose the payment.
Old 02-10-17, 03:30 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought a new one but still kept the old one. My neighbors think i'm crazy for buying the same car in same color after all these years. the old one simply refuses to break down. (parts still go south but nothing crazy) and I like the driving position, seats, the room inside and the simplicity of controls.
Old 02-16-17, 11:54 AM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonas's RX

How do you keep/get your headlight covers so clear? I have that same year/model/color and mine are yellowy and gross.
Old 02-16-17, 12:51 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Bltkmt

Check out My answer in the foggy light discussion
Old 05-09-18, 10:32 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I still like mine despite having it for ~18 years but I drive it less now since I drive my other car. Its hard to see her getting bombarded by bird poop and sun light (used to be parked in garage) eating away its shiny paint.
Old 05-09-18, 01:01 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Honestly RX gang

I could have bought my wife
any SUV but she was set on
the RX 300

I bought my RX 2 years ago from
a lexus dealer with 38K and no regrets!
Old 05-09-18, 01:03 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

We were parked the other day right next to a brand new RX
and did my mind change on getting rid of our RX 300

no .. still rather own the 300 .

I still prefer the timeless design and less of the edgy
styling .
Old 05-09-18, 03:38 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bltkmt
How do you keep/get your headlight covers so clear? I have that same year/model/color and mine are yellowy and gross.
My 2002 RX300 is the best auto I have ever owned. I bought it new and it has 178K-miles on it. Almost no problems. I can't find a new car I would prefer.

I just polished my headlights this morning. There are numerous brands of headlight polishers on the market. Just rub with a soft cloth. They will polish up.
Old 05-10-18, 10:47 AM
Draconic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post here but lurking for a month. What better way to say hi than to post on this thread.

I bought my 2001 RX300 from my dad about a month & 1/2 ago. He bought it new and has taken exquisite care of it and performed regular maintenance on it at Wilde Lexus in Sarasota, FL. He and my mom wanted to get a new car and has always loved the Nissan Murano since gen 1. Well, since I work for Nissan I was able to get them my employee lease (1yr, 30K miles) and they jumped on it. They now have a 2018 Murano Platinum with all the bells and whistles. They love it but admit it is overwhelming the amount of tech that is on it.

But back to "my" RX. I have always liked my dad's RX. I have driven it many times when visiting them in Florida. And when they finally decided to get a new car, I jumped at the opportunity to buy his RX. I brought it back to Michigan and the poor thing has experienced things that it never had before - cold, snow, ice and road salt.

I agree with jonas's RX about its classic looks. Current SUV/CUVs all look very "sculpted" and muscular. The RX300 looks sleek to me in comparison. All that sculpting makes current models wider and chunkier than they need to be. I also have a 2018 Nissan Murano and when both are parked in the garage, the Murano takes up so much more room without really being any roomier inside. I also love the panoramic visibility of the RX. There are big blind spots on the Murano. I love how the RX drives also. Very smooth and composed. The big wheels and low profile tires they put on everything nowadays makes for a rougher ride.

The things that I love about the RX300:
  • Panoramic visibility
  • E/T that resets automatically
  • Smooth ride
  • Mirrored tint
  • Sleek classic looks
  • Easy to work on
  • Versatile center console
  • Nice/comfortable interior

Things I wish it had:
  • Adaptive cruise (love this feature)
  • 3-flash to pass (use all the time in my Nissans)
  • Memory seats that includes mirrors and steering wheel position
  • Better gas mileage
  • "Grippier" leather
I have a few thing that need to be done on my RX. Oil change, A/T fluid and filter change, left-rear door lock actuator replacement and eventually replace struts, strut mounts and sway bar links are on the list for this year. I had to replace the rear door struts. I looked at the service history and it looks like all the O2 and A/F sensors were recently replaced. I'm looking to keep this until it gives up the ghost. I'm also looking at buying a new motorcycle after my daughter graduates from college (2 more years) so I wanna keep the RX for cold and winter commutes.

Anyways, I love the RX300. Always have and always will.
Old 05-10-18, 04:25 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

My cousin has my old 99 RX with about 130k miles on it and still loves it.
My grandparents still have their 99 RX with 68k miles on it. They still love it!
I had the opportunity to drive the 68k mile RX recently and fell in love with it again. So comfortable, smooth, and airy. So yes, we still love them.

Quick Reply: After all these years, do you still like your RX 300 ?