Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G80 Sport and G80 5.0AWD announced

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-16, 08:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I disagree. Subjective, of course, but IMHO, the ES350's spindle, though similar in shape to the others, seems more muted and less in-one's-face. The one on the new RX, for example, is especially garish.
This is "muted" and not "in your face"?

Old 11-20-16, 10:48 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I don't understand the negative comments about the interior. To me, the interior is superior to the ES which is the nearest price competitor and close to the GS which is a bit more expensive. The G80 interior is also much larger than the GS.

I expect the next Genesis will be a slicked up version of the Santa Fe, then a smaller sedan to compete with the 3 series. The 3.3 turbo engine seems well suited to either.
Steve
3-series fighter is next. There won't be a premium version of the Santa Fe; they are trying to keep things on RWD platforms.
Old 11-20-16, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
3-series fighter is next. There won't be a premium version of the Santa Fe; they are trying to keep things on RWD platforms.
Genesis will have a losing SUV lineup if they do not have a Santa Fe derived SUV. The big money is in the FWD platforms as its cheaper to make, develop, spin off, and sell. This is where Toyota makes the bulk of their money with the Lexus brand, ES/RX sales.
Old 11-20-16, 11:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It depends on whether they're trying to maximize profit or make the best cars they can. I think they should resist the urge to mirror Lexus when it comes to rebadging Hyundais.
Old 11-20-16, 11:04 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Is there anybody here that actually likes how the new Lexus spindle grilles look? Almost everyone, myself included, is not a fan of the style.

This Genesis, even with it's huge grille still looks alot better imo.
Old 11-20-16, 11:15 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Genesis will have a losing SUV lineup if they do not have a Santa Fe derived SUV. The big money is in the FWD platforms as its cheaper to make, develop, spin off, and sell. This is where Toyota makes the bulk of their money with the Lexus brand, ES/RX sales.
Just because Cadillac and Lexus do it doesn't mean it's the only way to go. If they're trying to make people take them very seriously as a luxury brand from the get go it's helpful to bring RWD SUV's to the table. This is especially true given Genesis is a global brand.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It depends on whether they're trying to maximize profit or make the best cars they can. I think they should resist the urge to mirror Lexus when it comes to rebadging Hyundais.
Agreed.
Old 11-20-16, 11:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Is there anybody here that actually likes how the new Lexus spindle grilles look? Almost everyone, myself included, is not a fan of the style.

Absolutely. I don't like them on all the cars, but I like it on my LS, I like it on the latest ES, I like the RC. I Like the LX. The GX is okay. I like the pre-refresh IS. I like it on the LC. Liked it on the pre refresh GS.

I think the EX, refreshed GS, NX are a little over the top. I do like the NX f Sport but not the base model.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-20-16 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-20-16, 11:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Just because Cadillac and Lexus do it doesn't mean it's the only way to go. If they're trying to make people take them very seriously as a luxury brand from the get go it's helpful to bring RWD SUV's to the table. This is especially true given Genesis is a global brand..
Lexus and Cadillac have RWD models. Let's not forget that. The big volume money comes from the FWD derived platforms for the SUVs. It's cheaper to design, make, and sell. Sure, if Genesis wants to make a RWD SUV, that is fine, but it is not going to sell and it will be priced way to high. People need to seriously get off this RWD=respect mindset. Yes, RWD cars help the brand, but moving volume models will only work with RWD. This is fact.
Old 11-20-16, 11:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

Who is everyone?

As for the front ends, they are OK. RX is hideous, LX is bad too, LS is ok but looks wierd as the rest of the car is from 07.

ES, GX, look good. And the new refresh for the IS looks surprisingly good.
Old 11-20-16, 11:38 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Lexus and Cadillac have RWD models. Let's not forget that. The big volume money comes from the FWD derived platforms for the SUVs. It's cheaper to design, make, and sell. Sure, if Genesis wants to make a RWD SUV, that is fine, but it is not going to sell and it will be priced way to high. People need to seriously get off this RWD=respect mindset. Yes, RWD cars help the brand, but moving volume models will only work with RWD. This is fact.
1. Completely aware that Lexus and Cadillac have RWD platforms.
2. Completely aware that the FWD SUV's sell the most and are cheaper to make and sell.
3. It's not going to sell and and will be priced way to high? My my, that crystal ball of yours is fantastic. There's a thing called internal sales targets; hint: they're not looking to sell 8k units a month for their volume SUV. They'll be using the flexible G70 and G80 platforms for a number of vehicles and want to align their products with the Europeans. Also what, pray tell, would make you think their cars would be priced too high? Has ANYTHING Hyundai/Genesis produced had that problem?
4. RWD does factor into respectability. I know you wish people would evolve and not mention it anymore but consumer research indicates that people like to see luxury cars with the right pedigree. I do think that will soften with time but the time isn't right now. The funny part about this it isn't even North America that's the worst about this; Europeans and certain Asian countries are even more sensitive about this unless the brand is already held in high respect.
Old 11-20-16, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

BMW and Mercedes seem to do just fine with their RWD based SUVs lol. Not saying they shouldn't be platform engineered, just engineer them off of the RWD platform.

The GS/IS platform would have made a great SUV.

If Genesis can deliver the G80 and G90 at such a great value, they can deliver a RWD based SUV at a good value too.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-20-16 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-20-16, 11:52 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
BMW and Mercedes seem to do just fine with their RWD based SUVs lol. Not saying they shouldn't be platform engineered, just engineer them off of the RWD platform.

The GS/IS platform would have made a great SUV.
The Jaguar F-Pace is doing great for the brand too. Infiniti is bringing its next-generation RWD-based SUV's to the market soon (finally) and Alfa Romeo just brought the Stelvio to the spotlight. Always multiple ways to meet your goal.
Old 11-20-16, 11:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I know you wish people would evolve and not mention it anymore but consumer research indicates that people like to see luxury cars with the right pedigree. I do think that will soften with time but the time isn't right now. .
I would love to see this research you are saying exists?
Old 11-20-16, 12:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I would love to see this research you are saying exists?
And I would love to show it to you- but when large companies make inquiries to companies that do consumer research you can be sure that's it's practically never for public review.

The crazy thing is in certain product categories customers typically really have no freaking idea which wheels drive their car. The only reason I've been exposed to Genesis' general topline product strategy is because the company I work for has certain "adjacencies" into which certain market info becomes relevant for both of us.

Since I can't provide proof, I have no expectation that you should believe what I say.

Last edited by TangoRed; 11-20-16 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-20-16, 12:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Since I can't provide proof, .
Ok thanks.

Quick Reply: Genesis G80 Sport and G80 5.0AWD announced