Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-16, 07:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,644 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I still don't like the front, I think the G80 is much more handsome.
I agree, overal the package, interior etc of the G90 vs the G80 would overcome that for me though.

The steering wheel IMHO is the least attractive part of the interior I agree. It doesn't have to have wood, wood wheels are kind of going out of fashion although I like them. However...this wheel needs....something...

An example of how wheels with no wood can still look really high end comes from BMWs, Audis, etc.
Old 11-06-16, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i hate wood on steering wheels.
.........Looks nice, but can be hard to grip (and allow slip, if damp or wet.
Old 11-06-16, 07:39 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Great write up! I agree with you re: the E-shifters. My A4 has one and a few months in I still have to consciously have to think about what I'm doing when I'm shifting. The only good part about it in the A4 is that it gives you a great place to rest your hand while you are fiddling with the MMI dial.
Old 11-07-16, 06:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Great write up!
Thanks.

I agree with you re: the E-shifters. My A4 has one and a few months in I still have to consciously have to think about what I'm doing when I'm shifting. The only good part about it in the A4 is that it gives you a great place to rest your hand while you are fiddling with the MMI dial.
The ones from GM (Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac XT5) and on the Genesis G90 generally operate with a more solid, secure, slick feel than the ones from German manufacturers. But, IMO at least, they are still frustrating and awkward to use. I sincerely hope we don't have to, but there is a significant chance that, like with low-profile tires, smaller engines, cave-entrance grilles, jelly-bean styling, and complex videos, we may just have to get used to them if the manufacturers are going to cram them down our throats.
Old 11-07-16, 08:10 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

E-shifter is mmarshall's new gated shifter
Old 11-07-16, 08:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
E-shifter is mmarshall's new gated shifter

Traditional gated shifters are easier to use. In most cases, just slip the lever into "S" (Sport") or "M" (Manual) and either bump the lever one notch (+) or (-), or use the paddle-shifters. Most E-units, though, don't operate that way.
Old 11-07-16, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't understand the aversion to gated shifters.
Old 11-07-16, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Gated shifters aren't necessarily E-shifters. What's confusing about most of the E-shifters is that they either don't operate intuitively and/or stay in the position you move them to. They snap back to Neutral, sometimes with and sometimes without decent gear-markings, and you often have to do some weird things to them to find or get out of Reverse.
Old 11-07-16, 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lets be clear on one point. ALL shifters are E shifters really.

I understand your dislike of what we commonly call an "e shifter" but I don't understand your dislike of gated shifters.
Old 11-07-16, 12:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Lets be clear on one point. ALL shifters are E shifters really.

I understand your dislike of what we commonly call an "e shifter" but I don't understand your dislike of gated shifters.
A gated shifter is this, has nothing to do with an automatic transmission.

Getting back on topic, the G90 is an impressive looking car, its big and imposing, the way a flagship should look.

I find the way Hyundia has the V6 and V8 option priced(along with them putting out similar power) to be curious. Most luxury car makes charge you a significant premium for the bigger engine option, and it of course has A LOT more hp to go along with the price increase. Personally I'd get the V8, no questions asked since its only a couple thousand dollars more. Also I went on the Genesis website, there are no options for this car, which again is curious, as that's how the luxury makers make a ton of $$$$. I appreciate that "fully loaded" is the only way you can buy it, I see the traditional Hyundia value aspect in that. However it is infuriating that for a $70,000 car you have 5 paint choices and two interior choices. I mean come on, part of buying a luxury car in my book is personalizing it and specing it to the way you want it. I don't expect it to be like a Rolls Royce where you have a book of leather swatches that's as thick as 4 phone books to choose from, but at least give us some options on the paint/interior color schemes that's comparable to what other luxury makes are doing at that price point.

Last edited by Aron9000; 11-07-16 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 12:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,022 Posts

This is what they are referring to by a "gated shifter" on an automatic:

Old 11-07-16, 12:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
A gated shifter is this, has nothing to do with an automatic transmission.

What he means by a "gated shifter" is this:

EDIT: JDR beat me to it lol
Old 11-07-16, 12:41 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
However it is infuriating that for a $70,000 car you have 5 paint choices and two interior choices. I mean come on, part of buying a luxury car in my book is personalizing it and specing it to the way you want it. I don't expect it to be like a Rolls Royce where you have a book of leather swatches that's as thick as 4 phone books to choose from, but at least give us some options on the paint/interior color schemes that's comparable to what other luxury makes are doing at that price point.
While I personally find it off-putting, fact of the matter is the vast, vast majority of consumers chose black/white/silver and black or beige for the interior, no matter the amount of personalization choices. I'm OK with this to start, but Hyundai will definitely need to step it up later.
Old 11-07-16, 12:42 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

They usually come missing body side molding.
Old 11-07-16, 12:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
While I personally find it off-putting, fact of the matter is the vast, vast majority of consumers chose black/white/silver and black or beige for the interior, no matter the amount of personalization choices. I'm OK with this to start, but Hyundai will definitely need to step it up later.
That's why I'd want to personalize mine, so it doesn't look like everybody else's. Red, burgandy, blue, navy blue, ie something that is actually a color is what I'd go for.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news