Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model S Refreshed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 07:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 454 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I'm a big Tesla fan, but the one thing i could never get over is the lackluster interior design and fit-and-finish of their cars. I could not justify spending A7 or 6-series GC money on a car with such a lackluster interior (although I love the screen). It may slide if it were priced the same as a 5-series, but it is priced much higher. The same goes for the Model X (which I've seen in person and unlike the Model S it is not attractive from outside) and the Model 3, whose interior looks like absolute garbage.

Now in regards to this refreshed Model S, it is even sexier from outside (love what they've done with the front) and the interior, while lacking in color choices, does have some new wood veneer options. Great car overall.
Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, that's my problem with them as well.
Me too....
Old 04-29-16, 08:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
How about S Class money?
most tesla s are in the 80-90k range, that's not s class money. a7 and 6gc is right there
Old 04-29-16, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
most tesla s are in the 80-90k range, that's not s class money. a7 and 6gc is right there
Highly optioned though they certainly get to S Class money and with the same drawbacks.
Old 05-01-16, 09:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Highly optioned though they certainly get to S Class money and with the same drawbacks.
but a highly optioned s class would leave a highly optioned tesla s in dust too. if you think the s class is a class above the LS, i don't see how you can stretch the tesla s to be in the same talk as s class. i tend to look at avg pricing more
Old 05-01-16, 09:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I guarantee people consider both cars though...
Old 05-01-16, 10:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

On paper, I find that the S Class is about one class above the Tesla Model S.
The S Class is about 6" longer in short wheelbase and nearly a foot longer in overall length in extended wheelbase, 3 inches longer in short wheelbase, and around 8 inches longer in extended wheelbase.
The Model S is almost 3" wider, while the S Class is almost 3" taller.
The S Class is heavier.
The S Class is much more expensive.

However, both cars can be compared.
Just like people comparing a GS350 with an RC350 coupe prior to purchase....
Old 05-02-16, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I guarantee people consider both cars though...
i didn't say no one, but most don't.
Old 05-03-16, 12:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,473 Posts

i know a few people with s classes... in no way did they consider a tesla at all.

s-class says 'baller. made it. country club. not much interested in saving the planet. likes to be pampered.'
tesla s says 'desperately must be different. tech geek. wants to save the planet. likes to be noticed as different.'
Old 05-03-16, 12:29 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 637 Likes on 441 Posts

Unless it's a P90D then you can add 'likes to go fast as heck' to the list too
Old 05-03-16, 01:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i know a few people with s classes... in no way did they consider a tesla at all.

s-class says 'baller. made it. country club. not much interested in saving the planet. likes to be pampered.'
tesla s says 'desperately must be different. tech geek. wants to save the planet. likes to be noticed as different.'
There was an article a while back where Lexus executives noted specifically that they had lost considerable LS sales to the Tesla.

Its a niche product, just because your friends with S Classes did not consider the Tesla doesn't mean that people who chose the Tesla did not consider the S Class. I had a conversation with a client today just out of coincidence, he has a Tesla and he replaced an S Class with it...
Old 05-03-16, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

things are always in a bell curve
Old 05-06-16, 02:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Obviously the Model 3 isn't so "frumpy" they didn't get over 300,000 pre-orders lol

I just came across this youtube video, and the Model 3 has over 400,000 pre-orders.
Electric vehicles EV is an absolutely fantastic idea!!
I love it, and I can't wait till Lexus pulls their fingers out.
These hot Model 3 pre-orders are more about the fantastic electric vehicle idea, than about fantastic styling of the forthcoming Model 3.

It's just like small capacity turbos and part aluminium chassis - Lexus will gradually pull their fingers out.
Even longstanding Canon dSLR's had to gradually pull their fingers out and make new sensors with more dynamic range performance, to keep up with the new hot selling Sony sensored cameras.

However, although the this Tesla Model S looks quite conservative yet decent and I could easily live with one, I still find it difficult to live with the forthcoming Model 3's frumpy styling.
But that's just me though - they'll be others like Steve who love the Model 3's styling.
Perhaps Model 3 doesn't turn me on because it has a tall short look, with occupants seating high and upright above the battery pack?
But I don't really like the new "duck billed" nose on either car.

May be Tesla is trying to make their noses look like Porsches?
However the Porsches noses still look far far better though.
On styling alone, next to the Porsche, the Teslas' styling pales in comparison.
If Elon Musk could make his cars look more like Porsches, then he has my pre-order too!

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-06-16 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-06-16, 05:57 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey

May be Tesla is trying to make their noses look like Porsches?
However the Porsches noses still look far far better though.
On styling alone, next to the Porsche, the Teslas' styling pales in comparison.
If Elon Musk could make his cars look more like Porsches, then he has my pre-order too!
I think that's the case for all makes and models for me. The more they look like Porsches, the more I'd like 'em. And I bet we're not alone, Pete.

But it's asking a lot for the $40,000 Tesla to look like a Porsche. That's like asking why an A3 or CTS doesn't look more like a Porsche. They're sedans made for a completely different purpose.

These Teslas are going to sell like hotcakes if they can keep the price point as advertised today.
Old 05-06-16, 10:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I think that's the case for all makes and models for me. The more they look like Porsches, the more I'd like 'em. And I bet we're not alone, Pete.

But it's asking a lot for the $40,000 Tesla to look like a Porsche. That's like asking why an A3 or CTS doesn't look more like a Porsche. They're sedans made for a completely different purpose.

These Teslas are going to sell like hotcakes if they can keep the price point as advertised today.
I suspect that only entry level Tesla Model 3's will be $40k.
I'm sure flagship Model 3's will be $60k+, such that the Model 3 should aim to be as attractively styles as a Porsche Macan.

Likewise, the Tesla Model S costs just as much if not more than a Porsche coupe, such that the Tesla Model S should aim to look as good as a Porsche also?
Old 05-07-16, 05:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

"Look as good" is relative. It's different, it's supposed to be different. Plenty of people love the way Teslas look.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Refreshed