Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinions about the refreshed 2017 IS Line

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 06:56 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Probably the same reasons they didn't make one for the original 3IS. A lot of excuses were batted around, like not enough space to shoehorn a V8 (or some variant of that and needing to comply with new dimensional safety regs). Most likely, it's just that Lexus didn't have the stomach to design/engineer an IS-F and an RC-F in the same segment.
I'm sure the V8 would have fit, it fit in the last gen IS, and that is a smaller car. You can fit a V8 in a 1st gen IS300, and that's an even smaller car.

Honestly I think it was a management decision that they wanted to compete with the M5/AMG Benz E63 with the larger GS-F. They didn't want to design a new motor(bad idea IMO), so they just stuck the one they had been using in the bigger car and charged a lot more money than the old outgoing IS-F. If you think GS-F sales are soft, imagine what they'd be like if you had the smaller, lighter, IS-F with the same engine for less $$$$.
Old 04-28-16, 09:54 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'm sure the V8 would have fit, it fit in the last gen IS, and that is a smaller car. You can fit a V8 in a 1st gen IS300, and that's an even smaller car.

Honestly I think it was a management decision that they wanted to compete with the M5/AMG Benz E63 with the larger GS-F. They didn't want to design a new motor(bad idea IMO), so they just stuck the one they had been using in the bigger car and charged a lot more money than the old outgoing IS-F. If you think GS-F sales are soft, imagine what they'd be like if you had the smaller, lighter, IS-F with the same engine for less $$$$.
That was pretty much the point of my post. Lexus didn't have the guts to offer another RC-F level model and wanted to segment the GS-F instead. But it just shows that Lexus is pretty out of touch with reality that they wanted to compete at the GS level since pretty much the only way the GS-F competes with the M5/E63 is on price.

I do think the IS-F would have slotted nicely against competitors like the C63 (remember that the detuned AMG engine in the C63 makes basically the same hp as the RC-F) and the IS-F likely would have been a bit cheaper, as well. It would have made a much more compelling car than the GS-F, of which there are currently three (!) sitting on my local dealer's lot.
Old 04-28-16, 01:48 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Bigger screen is interesting because from driver's point of view, you actually cannot see the left side of the nav screen if it gets bigger than current size. They did not seem to move the push start/stop button to solve this so not sure how the screen looks in person.
Old 04-28-16, 03:27 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Bigger screen is interesting because from driver's point of view, you actually cannot see the left side of the nav screen if it gets bigger than current size. They did not seem to move the push start/stop button to solve this so not sure how the screen looks in person.
If you look at the pre-refresh versus post refresh interior photos, you can see that they resculpted the area around the Start/Stop button. I am thinking they did this for the exact reason you stated above - to provide more clearance to see the left side of the screen.

Pre-Refresh

Post Refresh

Old 04-28-16, 04:26 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
If you look at the pre-refresh versus post refresh interior photos, you can see that they resculpted the area around the Start/Stop button. I am thinking they did this for the exact reason you stated above - to provide more clearance to see the left side of the screen.
I see the difference now but the start/stop button is now in even more awkward position. Nevertheless bigger screen is definitely much better.
Old 04-28-16, 07:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I still think Lexus has the best interior in this segment. The new Benz C-class is awesome as well, if it weren't for that stupid mickey mouse design on their video screen.
Old 04-29-16, 10:14 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
Completely disagree here. Ton of seat time in the 335/340 and its still a blah interior. So plain. Had a new Q50 for a week and thought the interior was okay but completely generic. The new A4 seems nice but last year's A4 was dated. Mercedes is the top of the class. ATS is just bad.

I'm surprise you say this as the interior has been universally praised across all comparisons.
I think the 3-series interior is nice but it didn't set the bar forward. It's appropriate for this class but not as posh as the new C-class, which is several thousands of dollars more expensive than the BMW now.

The new A4 is nice but I wouldn't put the interior any higher than a well-equipped 3-series. The IS is reminiscent of the old Infiniti G35s in design. It exudes more of a boy racer look than a sports sedan look. The entire center stack looks bad with that charcoal plastic. Oh and that cruise control stalk is the same as in my 2IS and the Corolla I rented last week. It may even be the same as in my old 2000 Camry. Overall I'd put it at mid-pack in its class, just my opinion...
Old 04-29-16, 10:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Overall I like the tweaks. The bigger screen is a big improvement.
Old 04-29-16, 11:39 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 454 Likes on 299 Posts

At first I didn't like the F Sport's exterior in Refresh; I only liked the base model in Refresh.

The 10" upgrade is very good, while the ventilation & hi-fi controls look much more integrated into the central console, the darkened central vents seem more upmarket, while the steering wheel 5-way buttons look neater.

In just a few days, I've grown to like the Refreshed F Sport much more.
The original 3IS is nice, but bland in comparison now.
My missus will probably trade her old 3IS250 F Sport for the new Refreshed 3.5IS350 F Sport.
Old 04-29-16, 03:17 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by XPERIA
While I don't mind the rear end of the 3IS & 3.5IS,
why cant Lexus get back to making front ends look smooth, elegant & strong? Notice how the lines are extremely smooth but at the same time also very strong

Attachment 385948

which confined to the L-finesse design philosphy,
Attachment 385943
Agree with this 100%
The front end of the 2IS was just so sexy but also striking and made my head turn and I bought one. Sales were high and the forums were abuzz. Since I'm a non f sport fan, when the 3IS came I still liked the front end especially the grill but was just waiting for the navigation screen to fill up. They finally did it and now I hate the front end even the non f sport, it's those huge dang side vents there too big too much going on in the front now.

Last edited by Xanadu350; 04-29-16 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 05:58 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 454 Likes on 299 Posts

Yes, the previous 2IS had a classical look like C Class, 3 Series and A4.
Now, with 2017 3.5IS, Lexus has gone even more overtly sporty outside, inside, and even a sporty chassis to match.

The newfound sporty Lexus look with large air intakes can be good or bad depending on whether one is after a luxurious look, or a sporty look.

It's like wearing Florsheims vs Nikes?
Some say feminine vs masculine.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-29-16 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 10:10 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XPERIA
While I don't mind the rear end of the 3IS & 3.5IS,
why cant Lexus get back to making front ends look smooth, elegant & strong? Notice how the lines are extremely smooth but at the same time also very strong

Attachment 385948

which confined to the L-finesse design philosphy,
Attachment 385943
i've always thought the 2is looked more feminie. the 4GS and 3IS converted me from MB to Lexus
Old 04-30-16, 05:41 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Refresh looks good to me. The light and nice interior. A bigger screen already makes a significant effect.
Originally Posted by tea
i've always thought the 2is looked more feminie. the 4GS and 3IS converted me from MB to Lexus
Same thinking here. And I think they look outdated inside out and performance. They are nice cars but newer models are different. Same with the 2RX to 3 RX and now 4RX. Some will say 2RX looks best.

Last edited by 1111GS; 04-30-16 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-30-16, 05:54 PM
ItsJustMe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be in the market this same time next year and this 2017 IS F Sport just may be on top of my list to look at !?
Old 04-30-16, 09:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I think the 3-series interior is nice but it didn't set the bar forward. It's appropriate for this class but not as posh as the new C-class, which is several thousands of dollars more expensive than the BMW now.

The new A4 is nice but I wouldn't put the interior any higher than a well-equipped 3-series. The IS is reminiscent of the old Infiniti G35s in design. It exudes more of a boy racer look than a sports sedan look. The entire center stack looks bad with that charcoal plastic. Oh and that cruise control stalk is the same as in my 2IS and the Corolla I rented last week. It may even be the same as in my old 2000 Camry. Overall I'd put it at mid-pack in its class, just my opinion...
The lights, turn signals, wipers, and cruise control are all the same layout/operation on my 1992 SC300. IMO Toyota perfected the layout way back when on all those controls, so why should it be any different???? I'd much rather have these controls than BMW's stupid wiper controls and turn signal lever that doesn't have detents at all. Its nice to hop into a Toyota product and know how to operate pretty much everything except maybe the radio on newer models.

Quick Reply: Opinions about the refreshed 2017 IS Line