SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bought a 2002 SC430 today. Can't drop the top.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 10:33 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 863 Likes on 692 Posts

Great negotiating! I really hope it fixes your problem!!!
If so, you made out like a thief on this car purchase! ;-)
Old 12-18-15, 06:08 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Fraggin, good find. If you need some help you can always hit me up. I'll help if I can.
Old 12-19-15, 08:26 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I thought this might help you. It will show how to get access to the hinge and motor. I know it's for the power antenna, but you need to remove the same panels to get to the hinge and motor.
Old 01-20-16, 09:02 AM
fraggin
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New part in. The good news is that it latches nice and tight like it all should. However, I still haven't dove into the LH Roof motor that's indicated (grounded) by the ECU. Soon....

Here's the old piece. I think I will keep it around and study it as a specimen or perhaps sell the motors if they're still good.
Old 04-23-16, 02:19 PM
SoniaC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm receiving the code "B2509, Short in Pulse Width Modulation Motor RH Circuit." I called Lexus to find out how much a PWM motor RH is. They said there is no such thing. Would anyone know where this is and how it can be repaired/fixed?
Old 04-23-16, 02:29 PM
SoniaC
Driver School Candidate

I received the code, B2509 Short in Pulse Width Modulation Motor RH Circuit. Now what? LOL! I've tried to find some diagrams for this part but there is no diagram with the specific pulse width modulation motor. There is a quarter power WINDOW motor but no modulation motor. Am I missing something. I did find another diagram that shows the sliding roof control ECU, which shows the PWM motor (RH) to the right of it. It says: "Motor speed control, speed control. The roof motors (LH/RH) and the luggage motors (LH/RH) control spee with current controlled by duty cycle (PWM-Pulse Width Modulator), and these motors feed back motor pulse count to detect the motor rotation position and speed. Thus realizing the crosswise syncronous control and optimal speed control as a slow start/slow stop control (motor control)." Again, I'm unable to find any PWM, a/k/a "modulation" motor unfortunately. Any help/comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-16, 04:00 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

This may help get you started
Old 04-25-16, 07:57 AM
SoniaC
Driver School Candidate

Default How do I inspecting assemblies if I can't get luggage rack down?

Thank you for the code info. I was able to find the action procedure between our messages but my question is how do I "inspect" the assemblies if you can't get to them? Do you actually need to take the liners off everywhere to get to the parts and use a volt meter to test them? The luggage rack is in the upright position so I'm unable to get the top up to take anything apart. Short of swapping parts I don't know how else to diagnose it. Thank you for any comments in advance.
Old 04-25-16, 09:41 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

This should be the complete procedure. I hope it helps!

Do you mean your roof stopped working in the middle of the up or down cycle?
If so, there is a manual procedure in the owners manual.

Also, when you say luggage rack, are you referring to the package tray?
The black cover right behind the plexiglass glass, if flips up when you raise or lower the roof.

Can you post a picture?

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-25-16 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-03-16, 02:07 PM
SoniaC
Driver School Candidate

Bgw70, thank you for the pics! Yes, when I say luggage rack won't go down, I was referring to the package tray, which is the black cover right behind the glass. I couldn't get it down, nor the top up because it was in the way. A friend, who works on cars and major equipment (semis, heavy equipment, bulldozers, etc.) looked at it and he said he can't get it figured out quick enough for me. He did get the package (luggage) tray down manually somehow so he got the roof up, but unfortunately, the small back windows are still open and won't go up. This is the current status. I'll take a look at your images and see if I can figure something out. I'm so frustrated. I spoke with a Lexus mechanic I've used before, who is a Lexus Master mechanic, 20 years experience, has his own shop, and he said I can bring it in to him on Thursday. He's worked on my car, he's very good and I'm sure he'll be able to diagnose it quickly and fix it. It will just be costly. I suppose not as bad as the actual dealer. As I said, I'm frustrated. I just finished replacing some struts, a gasket around the motor mount, the a/c compressor, new front tires and now this. I have 91K on the car. I've been wanting to sell it to get a SUV and had thought that after these items were replaced I would place it up for sale and now the top.... ho-hum... I suppose the bright side is I've had no car payments for quite a while!
Old 08-02-16, 11:32 AM
fraggin
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have decided to cut my losses on the Lexus. I just don't have the time right now to have a project car due to work-travel and I also need the money to do some renovations that the wife is asking for.
I put it at my friend's business for exposure to sell it and added a classified post in the market place.

Last edited by fraggin; 08-02-16 at 12:05 PM. Reason: edited after placing ad in marketplace
Old 08-02-16, 12:15 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by fraggin
I have decided to cut my losses on the Lexus.
Man, I am sorry to hear that but I can relate to the frustration with the top.

Did you ever get the new hinge in? Even though the system seems super complicated, it all seems like it comes down to the hinge assembly. The assembly has all the sensors and motors in it that sound complicated, but all those can be replaced all at once. If you replaced both hinges, I wonder if it would all work.

I am totally speaking out of my ear of course because I haven't ever done it myself. And with new parts from the dealer you are talking about $3000+, (but used parts from ebay you are only looking at $300+) This guy is selling the whole assembly with trunk lid and both hinges still attached for $600 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2010-LE...UAAOSweXhXmUd5

Anyway, best of luck!

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 08-02-16 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-03-16, 04:14 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I really love the top down driving, but it's such a nice car with the top up I understand why previous owners kept it

You might consider driving it till you can find a nice one that works
Coleroad is selling his at a decent price
Old 06-22-22, 09:43 AM
peterfowle
4th Gear

ANYONE ON THE FORUM

I see you live in Colorado and while I don't live there I will have my SC 430 there for about a month in September 2022 and I am having intermittent problems with my top sticking while closing about half way through the cycle. Do you do work on cars or know of anyone in the area of Denver, Portland OR, SanJose,CA or Seattle WA that might be able to assist me .You can reach me by replying to this I live in WA.....I am one Desperate Duck to get this fixed.

Last edited by peterfowle; 06-22-22 at 05:20 PM. Reason: TO REMOVE PHONE NUMBER
Old 06-22-22, 12:41 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peterfowle
Coleroad

I see you live in Colorado and while I don't live there I will have my SC 430 there for about a month in September 2022 and I am having intermittent problems with my sticking while closing about half way through the cycle. Do you do work on cars or know of anyone in the Front range area that might be able to assist me..yes, CO area code but I live in WA.....I am one Desperate Duck to get this fixed.
coleroad has not been on here for almost two years, at one time, he was very active. I believe he sold his SC430 and stopped coming by…
DshngDaryl has plenty of experience with roof issues along with many others…from what you describe, I believe it is usually one of the micro switches in the roof arm.

BTW, not sure you really want to openly share your phone number here…you may want to edit your post and remove it.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-23-22 at 12:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Bought a 2002 SC430 today. Can't drop the top.