GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

intermitten AFS flashing light with Pictures on GS 450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 10:45 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts
Default intermitten AFS flashing light with Pictures on GS 450h

HI there,
I do have a new task for today.AFS light started to flash ON/OFF. I was trying to dissable it with switch on pulldown draw but didnt work.I pulled out 7.5Amp fuse for AFS hoping to reset sensors ,and didnt work .
I took TS software and cleared MIL but still didnt work.
When I have nobody on back seat and turning to right or driving straight AFS will start flashing randomly.When I have sharp Left turn it will go away and stay off for some time.
I have gs 450 model and there is 2 hight control sensors .
One is on the front left (driver )side and other one is on the back left(driver) side.
I had checked small rods if they are seized or broken.NO they are not broken or seized.
I have connected to TS diag.software from ebay and this is what I got.See the pictures.
Old 01-28-18, 10:52 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

This is the software I used to check AFS data
Old 01-28-18, 10:57 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Next step was to force motors on head lights to make sure they are working.

Old 01-28-18, 11:05 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

after conducting that test results were sucesfull ,I was able both head lights to turn left and right .
When I was doing vertical test I was able to lower light down but test for "UP" didnt pass(basically it was not moving).
So I have parked car on down hill to check that test and it was PASSING )moving up and down.
NOTE:
when AFS light flashing that you can not condust this test and there is no changes in voltage when vehicle is turning ,which means headlights are not following turn.I was watching steering sensor signal and even that signal was ok as you can see from the next pictures down
Old 01-28-18, 11:14 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Angry Pics from steering sensors

After that observation I was watching graph and pulses we're generated.But annoying AFS light was flashing again.

Than I gave up for a couple hours.
Old 01-28-18, 11:19 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Now question is ,what should be normal voltage on those Front and Rear heights sensors?

Later on I conducted test on Highway and 40 min .light didnt flash ,but on the ay back it was flashing.

Next test I did on my other lexus IS250 to see what data I can pulled out from that car in order to comapare to GS450h.
this is what I got from IS 250 AWD.
See following pics.:
Old 01-28-18, 11:30 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

It was late ,so didn't do more testing with IS250.
but I had weird idea to check on RX 450 h and see how much data I can get from that truck.
This is picture from RX 450h AFS data

Old 01-28-18, 11:37 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

questions are why voltage on front left side hight sensor on GS showing about 0.6 Volts .?Is this normal ?
Because I see on the IS 250 AWD voltage on the same sensor is 2.47 Volts.

NOw I assume that RX 450h has only one Hight sensor at the back because reading of the front left side sensor showing 0.00 Volts.

Can somebody shed some light here please and tell me what is problem with GS450h ,?

I really want to get rid off that AFS flashing warrning light.

thanx in advance to all of you.
Old 01-29-18, 12:12 AM
lexusisgs
Advanced

One more thing I need to mention was CODE CHECK ENGINE ....B2416...hight control sensor malufan.

I didnt find any sub code related to that B2416.

Help Please.
Old 01-29-18, 12:41 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 760 Likes on 655 Posts

Question have you checked to see if the angle sensor on the rear axle is broken or not? Its either on the left or right a tiny sway sensor mounted on the lower control arm. Those are common to break especially if you have done shocks or had work done on the rear end.
Old 01-29-18, 09:09 AM
lexusisgs
Advanced

thanx for reply ibidu1
i didnt check that angle sensor,i will do that tomorrow.
Old 01-31-18, 06:37 AM
lexusisgs
Advanced

sensor is not broken ,but voltage on the front sensor went from 0.70 v to 1.2 v,
I thinking could be some bad connection or plug itself.I have to find out what is normal operating voltage for front hight sensor.
Old 03-09-18, 12:26 AM
lexusisgs
Advanced

new update,front sensor is damaged i guess.I was able to pull out small rod from the sensor itself.I have used penetrating spray and a lot of bearing greese and showed back rod into sensor and now no more flashing light AFS but no more vertical adjustement eather.Only horizontaly AFS working.

so problem will be solved after replacing front sensor.I have to find good used one because new one is expesive as heck.

beside that I have to do reserch if small rod coming of the sensor is removable or is

broken.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​will post some pictures soon regarding this issue

Last edited by lexusisgs; 03-09-18 at 12:27 AM. Reason: spealling
Old 03-09-18, 10:35 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm having the same issue on my '07 gs350. my AFS light would flash whenever i hit a hard bump on the road and it will go back off a few minutes later. checked the threads regarding how to fix this issue and seems like my problem is a bit different than most. most of the time, people fix the problem by adjusting the whole leveling arm to the correct position (L shaped) because of installer error when installing springs or coilovers. but mine was never touched so i know for a fact they're okay so i'm thinking either the motor is messed up in the front or rear. tried adjusting the rear leveling height up and down and that didn't solve the issue. have yet to adjust the front up or down.

i was thinking maybe aiming my headlights higher would solve the issue since it's aimed pretty low which i think might be causing the AFS to go off (i recently lowered the fronts, so it sits raked (front lower than rear).

ordered the VCI cable and techstream so i will be diagnosing it soon. i know for a fact that the voltage should read somewhere between 2 to 2.70 range.
Old 03-09-18, 11:25 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

so after running techstream, im showing three codes: b2412, b2416, and b2417. from the pic of your data, seems like the problem is in the front height sensor since you aren't near the normal 2.5 voltage range.

here is my data, as you can see my front and rear height sensor voltages are pretty off (far from the normal 2.5 voltage range). going to adjust the headlight level higher tomorrow to see if those numbers change. if not, then i will adjust the leveling arm height up/down.

and this is what i meant by 2.5 voltage being normal:

Quick Reply: intermitten AFS flashing light with Pictures on GS 450h