IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front lips

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 02:33 PM
Jaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front lips

Hi, wondering if there is any lips that does not require drilling into the bumper.. I've been looking at aimgain/trd reps on eBay but seems like you have to drill into the bumper.. anyone have suggestions?
Old 01-23-18, 04:07 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you really don’t want to drill, you can get allfit/e-z Type lips.
Old 01-23-18, 04:09 PM
Jaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
If you really don’t want to drill, you can get allfit/e-z Type lips.
Thought about that but that stuff is like $5 at Home Depot it just looks cheap to me :/
Old 01-23-18, 04:46 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaddy
Thought about that but that stuff is like $5 at Home Depot it just looks cheap to me :/
You can mount any lip with double sided tape and hope for the best.
I mounted with screws an Aimgain Rep, and it blew into 3 pieces after going down an un-plowed suburb.
Old 01-23-18, 05:29 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i have an aimgain replica front lip and i will tell now, doublesided tape alone is not going to help.
Old 01-23-18, 06:52 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I wouldn't feel safe with any lip on without screws.
Old 01-23-18, 11:44 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why I took it off!

You won't see the screws when you mount a lip. Only way to secure it!

Old 01-24-18, 02:33 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

the drilling for front lips are usually done to the bottom or front wheel inside splash guards, no one will ever see those holes even if you want to remove the front lip before you sell your car later. The bottom of the bumper already have holes for draining and fog light adjustment already so a few more won't do anything... the inside splash guard holes, you can just put some clip-plugs in after (same OEM clips used to hold parts of the splash guard on the car).

specially for place like alberta where we get extreme weather & road conditions, double side tape alone just doesn't seems very secure.
Old 01-25-18, 07:56 AM
Jaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by otakusan
the drilling for front lips are usually done to the bottom or front wheel inside splash guards, no one will ever see those holes even if you want to remove the front lip before you sell your car later. The bottom of the bumper already have holes for draining and fog light adjustment already so a few more won't do anything... the inside splash guard holes, you can just put some clip-plugs in after (same OEM clips used to hold parts of the splash guard on the car).

specially for place like alberta where we get extreme weather & road conditions, double side tape alone just doesn't seems very secure.
Originally Posted by jnesss
i have an aimgain replica front lip and i will tell now, doublesided tape alone is not going to help.
Thanks for your guys input, I guess I should’ve mentioned; my main concern was the drilling into the actual bumper. If needed to drill would it be on the bottom liner and not the bumper itself? I’ve read that the TRD lip must be drilled into the side of the bumper to be stable. Can someone confirm if drilling is into bumper or the liner underneath for aimgain rep?
Old 01-25-18, 08:15 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

I have the TRD lip, drilling to actual bumper for the front area (but under the bumper so you'll never be able tell even if you remove the lip later)... as for the side, it actually reuses an existing hole & plug on the front wheel splash liner.
Old 01-25-18, 08:22 AM
Jaddy
Driver School Candidate

I have the TRD lip, drilling to actual bumper for the front area (but under the bumper so you'll never be able tell even if you remove the lip later)... as for the side, it actually reuses an existing hole & plug on the front wheel splash liner.
Ahh, so there’s no holes that are actually visible if I decide to take it off. Do you know if that’s the case for the TRD lip reps as well? Also how’s the TRD lip when you’re going down drive ways and speed bumps? I imagine it scraping and ripping off pretty easily..
Old 01-25-18, 08:28 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Ahh, so there’s no holes that are actually visible if I decide to take it off. Do you know if that’s the case for the TRD lip reps as well? Also how’s the TRD lip when you’re going down drive ways and speed bumps? I imagine it scraping and ripping off pretty easily..
I have the real TRD kit on my car.. (the reps I'm not sure of)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9952916

lowered about 1.5cm with RSR coilovers.. drive around in Edmonton year round... no scrapes yet.. just have to be careful
Old 01-25-18, 02:32 PM
JJWade617
Driver School Candidate

Pics anyone?
Old 01-25-18, 02:40 PM
Jaddy
Driver School Candidate

I have the real TRD kit on my car.. (the reps I'm not sure of)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9952916

lowered about 1.5cm with RSR coilovers.. drive around in Edmonton year round... no scrapes yet.. just have to be careful
Thanks for your input, been researching about these two rep lips can’t find any info if we need to still drill into a visible spot on the bumper for the reps
Old 01-25-18, 02:44 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Thanks for your input, been researching about these two rep lips can’t find any info if we need to still drill into a visible spot on the bumper for the reps
I don't believe neither the TRD or Aimgain (rep or real) will require drilling holes on the front bumper which will be visible after removal of the lip when you sell the car. TRD mounts on bottom and inside wheel well, while Aimgain mounts from bottom only.

Quick Reply: Front lips