Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

most 3 row utes are very cramped...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 07:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I'm not tall (5'10") but have very long legs (36" inseam). We have a Highlander.

I can easily adjust the driver's seat for me and comfortably sit in the second row. There is good room back there.

As for the third row, we use it a lot. If we have people coming with us, we just move the kids' seats back to the third row and the adults can use the second. The kids love riding back there anyway. I've ridden in the third row myself. It's far from great, but totally fine for short hops around town.

We went with the captain's chairs in the second row so the third row would have better access and we're thankful we did.

Old 01-11-18, 07:54 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't remember how they take the 2nd row measurements, but many 3 row utilities have the ability to slide the 2nd row forward and backward as needed. Same with some minivans. So since you're not going to use many in the 3rd row, maybe try out the 2nd row fully pushed backwards, may require more in person testing rather than the paper specs. As others have mentioned, the seat height to floor measurement can also impact comfort, even for identical potential measurements.
Old 01-11-18, 08:09 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure how ground clearance changes leg room but i guess that's measured somehow from hip point up to knee and down to floor or something.
Body
I have a drawing of four body types below from: sedan, to MPV, to SUV, to Landcruiser/LX.

All four are similar width.
They differ in height and ground clearance.

Compared to the conventional sedan on the far left, notice has the MPV/minivan has the same rolling diameter tires, the same ground clearance, but the 11" taller roof line provides a more voluminous cabin?

An excellent example is when we compare MPV/minivan to CUV/SUV, notice how both are the same height, but the taller rolling diameter tires of the Highlander delivers higher ground clearance, but at a cost to interior cabin height?
The greater the cabin height, the greater the overall interior spaciousness.

Finally, comparing the Highlander light duty off-roader to a heavy duty off-roader like a Landcruiser/LX, notice how the 9" taller Landcruiser/LX has taller rolling diameter tires again, for an even higher ground clearance - but again, at a further cost to cabin height.
A further point to note is that the Landcruiser/LX has "tall box sections" from the 2-piece ladder-on-frame type chassis that further compromise the cabin height available for Landcruiser/LX compared to Highlander.

I find that the Landcruiser/LX cabin is not as tall/deep as Highlander, but both cabins are similar in length and width; maybe the Highlander has a slightly longer cabin than the Landcruiser/LX even.
GX has not only a shallower cabin than Highlander, but GX's cabin is both shorter and narrower than Highlander - despite GX and LX appearing to be much larger than Highlander from the outside.

In short, Landcruiser/LX has 9" greater overall height than Highlander, but Landcruiser/LX actually has a much less tall cabin than Highlander.
GX an even less tall cabin again.
GX/LX have taller cabins than a sedan, but no match for the cabin height available in Highlander, let alone an MPV/minivan.

The problem with 3rd row SUV/truck is that the 3rd row lacks cabin height, and more in particular - lacks depth for the 3rd row legs to drop down.
However, even the 1st & 2nd row cabin height of a heavy duty SUV like Landcruiser/LX cannot match the cabin height of a 1st/2nd row light duty Highlander.

Seating
Because the seating position and cabin of the vehicle has very "complex" measurements, I no longer measure legroom etc with measuring tapes, due to large inaccuracies.

Soft foam cushions actually have more compression, and provide more interior space.
Low seat bases can provide superior measurements, but at a cost to comfort.
Short seat squabs/bases like ES provides a much greater feeling of spaciousness than long seat bases/squabs like GS.
Angled/raked back rests provide a greater feeling of space.

Door trims can be more "scalloped" to provide more elbow room etc.
Lexus sedans often scallop their rear ceiling beneath the sunroof to provide greater headroom.
The back of the front seat back rests can be scalloped to provide much greater rear knee room.

Rear foot space is provided beneath the underside of the front seats.
Lexus GS compromises rear leg room and rear foot room for great air conditioned multi-adjustable front bucket seats.

Have you ever noticed how "narrow" front bucket seats like ES make the cabin feel larger than wide front bucket seats?
Furthermore, three evenly sized rear seats feel more spacious than two large rear bucket seats when three passengers are seated across the rear bench!

To a certain extent, small steering wheels with thick rims can make a cabin feel bigger inside, while making the handling feel smaller.

I find that passenger cabin cubic feet measurements are a greater indication of spaciousness, however even in this case - there are large inaccuracies, as vehicles with short seat squabs like ES feel more spacious than they really are.

Thus, there is presently no concrete/objective measure of interior space, such that there is a strong subjective component in the seat of the pants feeling...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-11-18 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 09:40 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

What are the numbers for the VW Atlas?
Old 01-11-18, 10:01 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What about the Nissan Pathfinder or Infiniti QX60? They are supposed to be roomy.
Old 01-11-18, 10:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

most 3 row utes are very cramped...
uh yeah hah

On a serious note, the Expedition tends to provide good third row leg room at 36.1
Old 01-11-18, 10:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Have you tried a Acura MDX? They are pretty roomy for a 3 row now. Do you even need a 2 or 3 row SUV? I am 6 foot and find larger sedans to be the most comfortable over bigger SUVs. Lexus LS, ES, or even GS are pretty roomy and comfortable, Acura RLX has big rear seat leg room for a mid size with plenty of room to move the driver seat back..
Old 01-11-18, 03:00 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

The lr3 and lr4, have nice room in all three rows. The head room because of its design is even better. Seating space of a minivan, utility of the SUV.
I'm 6' and was comfortable in any of the three rows.
Attached Thumbnails most 3 row utes are very cramped...-img_0011.png  

Last edited by Coleroad; 01-11-18 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 05:57 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

absolutely true.

wow suprised Germany has the tallest on average considering how cramped their car interiors are, you figured they would design it to fit their people better.
Old 01-11-18, 07:13 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I sat in a friends 2017 XC90 and loved the room in the front and 2nd row. I didn't get to sit in the third, but it looks better than most.

Front Leg Room : 40.9
Second Leg Room : 37
Third Leg Room : 31.9
Old 01-12-18, 10:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
We have a Highlander.
off-topic but i notice your second row doesn't have vents in the back of the center console. i think that was added in '17, right?

Originally Posted by SC300Es
What are the numbers for the VW Atlas?
Originally Posted by Sulu
What about the Nissan Pathfinder or Infiniti QX60? They are supposed to be roomy.
geez guys, you could look it up.

atlas:
Front Leg Room : in 41.5
Second Leg Room : in 37.6
Third Leg Room : in 33.7
https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/atlas/specs
that's EXCELLENT

qx60:
Front Leg Room : in 42.2
Second Leg Room : in 41.7
Third Leg Room : in 30.8
https://www.caranddriver.com/infiniti/qx60/specs
what is given to second row is taken away from third.
Old 01-12-18, 11:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

off-topic but i notice your second row doesn't have vents in the back of the center console. i think that was added in '17, right?
No, I don't believe it has changed for '17. The vents for the second and third row are in the headliner, near the map lights and grab handles.
Old 01-12-18, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,919 Posts

The best crossover vehicle for second and third row legroom I've personally seen is the QX60. You're right though, a lot of them are cramped.
Old 01-13-18, 03:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
wow suprised Germany has the tallest on average considering how cramped their car interiors are, you figured they would design it to fit their people better.
?? I'm 6'4", and while my E90 is an auto, the E46 I had before was a manual, and it was roughly the size of a Civic. With the driver's seat all the way back, I couldn't disengage the clutch. Had to slide it forward probably 4-5" from the rear stop to be able to floor the clutch pedal. And I have plenty of headroom in both cars, despite the moonroof eating some up.
Old 01-13-18, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Among whites, the Nordics of Germany and the Scandinavian countries tend to be taller than average, but are not necessarily the tallest. A group in Central Africa, called the Watusis, or Tutsi, are (supposedly) the world's tallest, a fair number reaching 7 feet (perfect NBA material LOL)...but are generally of small enough numbers that they don't skew the averages very much.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-18 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: most 3 row utes are very cramped...