GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Alternator Output Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-17, 12:06 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by uibalnme
it was probably still the factory original battery. So, my car being a 2013 model, the battery/Car we’re built in 2012. That means the battery was at least 5 years old when it quit. That’s plenty of life out of a standard battery.
It's also worth noting that in the 2013-2014 model years, there were a LOT of ****ty batteries shipped in various Lexus cars. My moms 13 ES had a battery that was basically garbage. The cells were flakey internally. She'd leave the car for a few days and it wouldn't start. That said, if you managed to get 5 years out of it, that's a REALLY long time for a battery in my book.

Back when I had my 2010 Camry I basically replaced the battery every 2 years or so, but I drive 25-30K/yr and invariably my battery would also get some abuse here and there as well, including lots of sub 20F starts during the winter, etc.

-Mike
Old 11-03-17, 01:27 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am not sure that it is correct that the charging voltage drops as under hood temperature rises. It is tied to the batteries charging needs. When you first start the car the battery voltage drops and when the alternator senses this it increases the charge voltage to provide a higher amperage charge to the battery. Once the battery voltage comes back up it then drops the charge voltage to deliver less amperage so as not to over charge the battery (that's a bad thing too). There may be some subtle changes to the voltage that are related to temperature but it's mostly due to charging needs. Remember that a higher differential voltage between the battery and alternator will provide more potential for a higher amperage charge. Once the voltages move closer together the potential decreases and unless the alternator runs at a higher voltage it cannot produce the same charge.
Old 11-03-17, 05:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Originally Posted by lamikela1
I am not sure that it is correct that the charging voltage drops as under hood temperature rises. It is tied to the batteries charging needs. When you first start the car the battery voltage drops and when the alternator senses this it increases the charge voltage to provide a higher amperage charge to the battery. Once the battery voltage comes back up it then drops the charge voltage to deliver less amperage so as not to over charge the battery (that's a bad thing too). There may be some subtle changes to the voltage that are related to temperature but it's mostly due to charging needs. Remember that a higher differential voltage between the battery and alternator will provide more potential for a higher amperage charge. Once the voltages move closer together the potential decreases and unless the alternator runs at a higher voltage it cannot produce the same charge.
As you can see from the graph chart (below) alternator voltage output is [purposely] biased by ambient/underhood temperature.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-04-17 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-21-22, 06:01 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think you will find that the alternator's output voltage varies with underhood or ambient temperature. As underhood or ambient temperatures increase the output voltage is reduced to 13.8 volts or less. During cold weather charging voltage can increase into the 15 volt range. Thus, depending on conditions a sound alternator will have an output charging voltage range anywhere from 13 volts to over 15 volts.

It sound like yours is working just fine...
I tested mine yesterday 08 gs350 at idle it was 12.8 and he turned on everything to see where it will drop A/C headlight, radio, the mechanic told your alternator is fine and nothing wrong with it, but when I go to autozone for a test it shows Volt regulator “FAILED” 🤔 I already bought remanufactured alt denso and I’m not sure my alternator is good or not ????
Old 05-21-22, 06:05 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by uibalnme
it was probably still the factory original battery. So, my car being a 2013 model, the battery/Car we’re built in 2012. That means the battery was at least 5 years old when it quit. That’s plenty of life out of a standard battery.

Now I’ve got a AGM battery. It should last at least 10 years. I had one in my 96 Camry that went 12 years before it quit. I put another AGM in it, and that one is still going after 6 years.
What brand AGM battery you got ?