Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Audi A7

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 11:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Audi A7

With the exception of one minor refresh revealed in 2014, the Audi A7 has cruised along as generally the same car since 2012. That ends now, as Audi introduces the new model you see above. It's completely redesigned inside and out, and features a new 48-volt mild-hybrid powertrain. And throughout, you'll find connections to the A8 flagship.

Looking at the exterior, the relationship to the A8 is unmistakable. The A7's hexagonal grille and matching headlights look nearly identical to its bigger, more prestigious kin. There are differences, though. The headlights slant downward more, and combined with the LED daytime running light accents, the car has a sullen, angry scowl. The lower grilles in the bumper are plain black and provide a sportier look.

Moving around the side, the trademark fastback hatch profile remains. The flanks look a bit more taut and athletic, in part thanks to the creases that now only show up over the wheel arches, exaggerating the width of the car at those points. The glass area is larger now, especially at the trailing end. The rear quarter window has been made much larger and with a shallower kink. The greenhouse also doesn't appear to taper as much toward the back, leaving less of a distinct shoulder than on the previous model.

The most dramatically different and distinct part of the exterior is the tail. The individual lamps of the outgoing A7 have been ditched for a full-width bar with 13 individual LED elements on each side. This taillight fits below an arching crease that marks the end of the hatch lid and wraps around to the quarter panels. The edges of the light match this crease, which also flows into the seam of the bumper. This arching shape is echoed in the faux diffuser panel in the rear bumper.

The inside of the A7 is also massively changed, and it again pulls heavily from the A8. This is immediately evident by the dual touchscreens for infotainment The main upper screen is a 10.1-inch piece used for music, navigation and such, while the 8.6-inch display below it is used for climate control. There is no MMI wheel for controlling it. Where the setup differs from the A8 is in the fact that the screens are canted toward the driver. Audi also gave the interior a sportier feel by playing with the hexagonal motif of the grille on the dashboard, dropping in a greater number of more angled shapes.

The high-tech interior is matched with many high-tech convenience and mechanical features. Lane-centering assist as well as autonomous parking spot and garage parking features will be offered on the new car. The latter of those will allow the driver to hop out of the car and let the car park itself or extricate itself from a space.

Mechanical technology starts with the introduction of the new turbocharged 3.0-liter 48-volt mild-hybrid V6. It's the same one as in the A8, which means the hybrid component comes in the form of a combination starter and generator that allows for more frequent, longer, and smoother engine start-stop cycles. It also produces 340 horsepower and 368 pound-feet of torque, allowing it to reach 62 mph in a claimed 5.3 seconds. For reference, the current model hits 60 mph in 5.2 seconds. This V6 will be the only engine at launch, with a variety of gas and diesel V6s and four-cylinders coming later. However, we wouldn't expect any other engines in the U.S. outside of a gas four-cylinder option, and perhaps high-output V6 and V8 models for hypothetical S7 and RS7 variants.

The V6 is coupled to a seven-speed transmission and an all-wheel-drive system. This system can be augmented in a few ways. A torque-vectoring rear differential will be available, and four-wheel-steering becomes an option. The four-wheel-steering can turn the rear wheels up to 5 degrees. At speeds below about 37 mph, the wheels turn opposite of the front wheels for improved maneuverability, and they turn with the front wheels above that speed for better straight-line stability.

Details such as pricing and final fuel economy numbers have yet to be released for the U.S. market. In Germany, the A7 will start at €67,800, which at current exchange rates is about $79,700. But pricing typically varies among countries. Since the current A7 starts around $69,700, we would expect to see a base MSRP closer to that. The car goes on sale in Germany in February 2018, while it will reach the U.S. in late 2018, possibly early 2019.
Source
Old 10-19-17, 11:26 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rear looks like another car I can't put my finger on it. Jaguar? Buick? I don't know.
Old 10-19-17, 11:31 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That new interior design is terrible.
Old 10-19-17, 11:55 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

not a fan of the sloping rear windshield fake hatchback look, interior and front look okay.. but all in all -- pass.
Old 10-19-17, 02:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

So-so. It looks even more like a hatchback than a four-door coupe. Mostly a frumpy and dumpy body shape at the rear. Previous model had a more distinct trunk.

Other details Audi flubbed: Step-ladder slats in the front air intakes look toyish and VW. Bisected exhaust outlets look choked and smaller than they could be (Lexus LC has exact same problem). Optional wheels appear fussy and like diseased split hairs. Lower side profile kink line in sheetmetal is too pronounced, giving the effect of a truck or Lincoln Navigator running board. Vertical slats within headlights and taillights are too loud and clash with all other lines. Single, horizontal lines would have blended in nicer.

While I am not a fan of full-width taillights, this is the best version of it thus far. It's amazing how much nicer things get when you don't mare it with a tacky chrome bar.

Interior is once again the highlight of an Audi. Dash is modern and clean. Not including the tacky pop-up nav screen on this and the new A8 just makes the current A3 and A4 interior look that much more dated.

So I take it this will be the same dashboard as the upcoming A6? They should not share. Reason being, we now see the new A6 interior right now, then will be seeing the same for the entire span of the next A6- plus one extra year since it debuted early on the A7. That's just too long for an interior design span for the A6. Both cars should have separate interiors that only span the life of those respective model runs.
Old 10-19-17, 02:14 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

egh. it looks ok i guess. I've always thought the new corporate face of audi with that hexagon makes the cars look cheap.

Originally Posted by mjeds
not a fan of the sloping rear windshield fake hatchback look, interior and front look okay.. but all in all -- pass.
it's a real hatchback.
Old 10-19-17, 02:18 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I predict more and more automakers will be incorporating a bigass nav screen in the gauge cluster area. It's a more natural place to look where you're going.

R.I.P controller ****
Old 10-19-17, 02:53 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
egh. it looks ok i guess. I've always thought the new corporate face of audi with that hexagon makes the cars look cheap.

it's a real hatchback.
is it? you can see the trunk line below the rear window in the images, appears to be a faux hatchback to me.. I know the existing A7 is a hatchback (and ugly as hell) but it appears they might have changed the design on the 2019
Old 10-19-17, 03:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
is it? you can see the trunk line below the rear window in the images, appears to be a faux hatchback to me.. I know the existing A7 is a hatchback (and ugly as hell) but it appears they might have changed the design on the 2019
That's probably a deployable active rear spoiler
Old 10-19-17, 03:03 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

It’s beautiful.
Glad the Audi interiors are ditching those iPad screens tacked on top of the dash.
Old 10-19-17, 03:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The fastback look isn't as unique as it used to be but Audi still does it very well on the A7. I'm sure that in person the look will be toned down. The interior should benefit from some darker seating and trim colors to warm things up a bit. The new A7 won't cost Audi any sales, but Q5's and Q7's will do the lions share of volume.
Old 10-19-17, 05:46 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The single long rear light bar looks cheap. The hoodlines, which I thought were a horrible idea for the RS5, are now here and even uglier on what should be an elegant car. Maybe Bangel is right, modern car design is stagnant. I haven't seen a really good design outside of the supercar or high end market in a long time. The LC500, Range Rover Velar, Volvo Polestar 1, F-Type, BMW 8, Z4 Concept, i8, and MB AMG GT are some standouts in an otherwise boring ocean of mean eyed, sharp angled cars.
Old 10-20-17, 11:45 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That thing looks fantastic, a great update to the previous design. Its the one Audi sedan that stands out. Love the new rear light bar. I'm less enamored about the interior. It looks great in pics but looks like a fingerprint magnet.
Old 10-20-17, 12:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,508 Posts

i figure most critics here wouldn't be a target buyer for the car anyway...

i think it looks awesome in and out. as for the 'cheap light bar' i think the panamera is quite similar.
Old 10-20-17, 01:29 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The rear looks cool, I'm not a fan of the rest.

Quick Reply: 2019 Audi A7