Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS430 owner vehicles

Romanova's 2006 LS430 build/blog

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 07:34 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

where are you taking it? There is a clear choice up by me, but I havent taken mine anywhere for anything yet. I'm sorting stuff at home right now. I finally had an ah-ha moment and check one of my front wheels and noticed it doesn't have hub centering rings. No wonder it vibrates from time to time. Kinda comes and goes. Really annoying. Need to source some rings then maybe I can get it aligned and drive this thing some more.
Old 10-03-17, 09:03 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 733 Likes on 518 Posts

Yeah, it's going to Clear Choice Lexus in the Woodlands. Their Yelp, Google, and Facebook reviews speak for themselves and the service adviser I spoke with is also an LS430 owner.
Old 10-04-17, 08:10 AM
Romanova
Racer

Cup holder didn't work when I purchased it. A quick search of this wonderful forum had a great walk through which I used this morning. Cup holder now functions as it should. Also went back in with Techstream to turn off the DRLs. It was at this time that I saw that the foglights are in terrible need of polishing. Very hazed over, to the point where I don't think polish alone will be enough. Going to order a kit from Amazon and do them up proper. Also considering either yellow bulbs for the fog lights or perhaps a yellow overlay... haven't decided yet.

As you can see, there were a bunch of napkins caught in the cup holder mechanism, plus a receipt and some old people teeth cleaners. Gross. This job really calls for trim panel tools, which I got off Amazon a few weeks back. Even with these, I didn't like prying against the dash to get the heated seat control out of the way. Had to work slowly and use even pressure...

To the next project...
Old 10-04-17, 09:16 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

How hard is to take apart the center console? You should had done a DIY haha.

I think very similarly like you. I want yellow film over my fogs and even yellow fog bulbs.
Old 10-04-17, 09:33 AM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
How hard is to take apart the center console? You should had done a DIY haha.

I think very similarly like you. I want yellow film over my fogs and even yellow fog bulbs.
No need to make a DIY when this forum has a great one! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ease-help.html
Took about 10 minutes to take it apart, fix the problem, and reassemble. Felt better using trim tools rather than a screwdriver.

I see Amazon has some nice LED yellow bulbs for the foglights... will order a set next pay day and do the upgrade as well as polish out the lenses.
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (10-04-17)
Old 10-04-17, 09:46 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Wow i gotta see through all the DIY on here never saw that one.

Post pics if you get them.
Old 10-04-17, 10:54 AM
LS430Cat
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're on a roll Romanova. Keep up the good work!
Romanova (10-04-17)
Old 10-06-17, 08:12 AM
Romanova
Racer

Dropped the LS off today for the TB service. Was able to talk at length to the service adviser and I knew that I made the right choice bringing the car to Clear Choice Lexus. Even put me in a loaner car, a brand new (300 miles) 2017 Corolla. Told them to save the old TB so that I can see what it looks like after 78k and 11 years of use. Will report back once I pick up the car this evening.

In the mean time, apparently Toyota has really redefined the Corolla. What a fun little car to drive. Even in the SE trim, it has a touch screen stereo, sport mode with decent paddle shifters, and quite a bit of pep. Under no circumstances would I ever consider owning a Corolla at this stage of my life, but I was honestly pretty impressed with it.
Old 10-06-17, 09:50 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Post pics of the belt once you get it. I would like to see the condition of it too.

Those new corollas do look pretty nice!
Old 10-06-17, 10:26 AM
Romanova
Racer

Few things to play with later. Ended up just getting the sand paper for the headlights/fog lights... couldn't justify the price of a kit when sandpaper is so cheap and I already have plenty of polish and sealant. The bulb is for the dome light. Just finished doing almost all of the ones in the GX460 with the Philips brand lights... great quality product.
Old 10-06-17, 12:16 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

I'm going to copy your LEDs
Old 10-06-17, 06:54 PM
Romanova
Racer

Timing belt job is complete. Everyone at the place I used was impressed with the condition of my car. Only thing they found wrong was the left rear shock is leaking, so that will need to be replaced. Will do both rears and will probably use the Lexus Sport ones and add springs at the same time. While the front of the motor was apart they also replaced the crank seal and added a new drive belt. I'm thrilled with this place... everyone was so polite and professional. Sounds like all of the techs are former Lexus dealer techs who were tired of the run around that comes with working at a dealer. Will be going back soon for a rear diff fluid change, then will eventually get the shocks changed.

I had them keep the old timing belt and after careful examination, I believe that I could have easily gone years without changing it. No signs of fraying or cracking any where and if you look close, you can still see the TOYOTA markings on it. Obliviously, the piece of mind is worth having it replaced but I definitely could have waited a few months.

We took the car out tonight to dinner and my wife noticed that the seatbelts even light up. I had no clue... well, this is the first time I've driven it at night, but usually I don't even bother looking down when I do the buckle. I swear, they thought of everything when the designed this car.

bjchilds1 (01-10-22)
Old 10-06-17, 08:03 PM
Romanova
Racer

Decided to try wet sanding a fog light real quick. Hit it with 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 and then V36, and M-Sealant to finish. It would be much easier to remove the fog lights from the bumper, though I'm still happy with how they turned out even though the pictures don't really do it justice. Before the surface was almost abrasive and now it is super smooth. You can see quite a few cracks in the plastic which I assume is from the heat of the bulb. Since no one is ever going to get up close to examine them, this will do. Will put more effort into the headlights when I get to them.

Old 10-06-17, 08:14 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Good to hear about Clear Choice. Mine will probably end up there at some point. I'll be working on mine this weekend. In regards to the corolla that may be our next purchase for my wife to drive. She currently has a 2006 with 180k miles, still going strong but she drives across town everyday and is kind of itching for something newer that still gets great gas mileage.
Old 10-07-17, 06:11 AM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by mykvr6
Good to hear about Clear Choice. Mine will probably end up there at some point. I'll be working on mine this weekend. In regards to the corolla that may be our next purchase for my wife to drive. She currently has a 2006 with 180k miles, still going strong but she drives across town everyday and is kind of itching for something newer that still gets great gas mileage.
It was nice to deal with true professionals. Was able to go back in the shop and look at the car on the lift, no worries about "We don't let customers back here because of insurance reasons blah blah blah". The Corolla SE was a surprise. Deep bolstered seats, decent stereo, 7 speed transmission that was pretty responsive when you put it in sport mode. If I had to go down the ladder a few rungs, I'd probably look at a new Camry in similar trim.

Quick Reply: Romanova's 2006 LS430 build/blog