ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010-63/)
-   -   Front speakers (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/922263-front-speakers.html)

malema 07-05-19 05:52 PM

Front speakers

Hi all,

I opened the door to change the door lock actuator and to refoam the front speakers. One of my speakers is the original mark levinson, the other one has a chrysler(foam looks good on this) logo on it. I refoamed the Mark Levinson one and put it back together, man it really sounds very low. like you can barely hear it compared to the chrysler, I think its time to replace the Mark Levinson front speaker.

Does anyone know of a 6x9 speaker (woofer) that sounds good, is 8 ohm and will clear the window depth wise? or in other words direct replacement?

I searched the forums and looks like most people are doing the 6.5" conversion but id like to avoid that if possible. Maybe there has been a nuance since other threads were discussed.
Also saw a review on amazon that american Bass VFL 69MR does not work as it has too much Bass for the SC430 amp.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Results:Job done

So for the next guy trying to replace front speaker woofers, you have options:

1) go with the 6x9 to 6.5 conversion kit and get two 6.5" 8 ohm speakers.
This conversion kit was used for a SC430 and worked according to a review and is well made: I bought these because the reviewers said it was loud and clear and the depth was 2.2" so itd clear the window:

any 6.5" 8 ohm speaker can be used as long it has less then 3" mounting depth.

2)stick with 6x9:

A) get the DC Gold 6x9 speakers as mentioned by another user.
Pro: OEM fit, prob excellent sound.
Con: price
I personally didnt go with these because I felt like at $400+ youre paying a good chunk of it to compensate for the fact that they are not mass produced.

B) Get Chrysler Infinity 5081669AC 6x9 speakers: This was in my car from before I purchased the car, they sounded slightly muffled when the volume was super high but it was fine for 10+ years of me using it. Works fine for a non audiophile.

C) get the Lanzar OPTI2698:
A review on Amazon indicates itll fit using a metra mount, supposedly sounds good and will clear the window. Delivery time is 2 months though :(
Metra 82-8146 mount and the Metra 72-8104 needed with this option.

D) get the DS18 PRO-X698 BM:
They supposedly "dropped" this 4th of July weekend to replace the DS18 MB69 that people had used to replace SC430 speakers in the past. I picked two up while their price was $38.92 each (now $62.95 each). you also need the Metra 82-8146 mount and the Metra 72-8104 connector (to make your life easier).
They are 3x louder then the original speakers in my car and have a clear sound, the sound is also very balanced. It cleared the window with no problem (no spacer needed) using the metra mount.

E) Get OEM.

Do not get American Bass VFL 69MR as a review on Amazon suggests it does not work on our AMPS and have a muffled sound.

txclifton 07-06-19 08:00 PM

Malema,

I think you are going to be hard pressed to find an 8 ohm 6x9. I just replaced my ML headunit with a Pioneer and the beat sonic but am having issues with the ML amp. I know, not much help but I did find some 6.5 inch 8 ohms with adapters that would work to swap out your 6x9's. I think they are on Parts Express. I decided to get out of the ML rat race and just go with a new amp and all new, readily available speakers. Good luck.

leexed 07-07-19 04:37 AM

I ordered a pair of Lanzar OPTI2698 6X9 1200W 8ohm coaxial full range speakers from amazon and waiting for delivery. I will post how they turn out.

twocell 07-07-19 05:27 PM

just ordered & installed 6x9's from DC Gold Audio, custom made for drop in install $430/pr 8ohm

leexed 07-07-19 05:39 PM

to spend that much on a set of replacement speakers, means that they are pretty important to you!

txclifton 07-07-19 06:00 PM

@leexed, Good find on those Lanzar speakers. I spent a lot of time looking for replacements and that the first time I've seen those...most what I found was on Parts Express. I also am not willing to pay $400+ for a pair but to each their own. I hope they work out for you. As noted above, I've decided to change the amp and all speakers because losing 2 ML amps was my breaking point...I sent up the white flag. You might need to buy some spacers to fit those in because of depth. Post back on how they work out.

hotrodsrj 07-10-19 04:01 PM

I have a new pair of JBL (by Harmon) GT7-4 90s for the rear with all the conversion plugs specifically for the SC. Anyone?

twocell 07-10-19 05:32 PM

I figured the $430 was better then replacing the stock head unit, amp & the rest of the system. they sound awesome have a 2yr guarantee & I'm done

leexed 07-10-19 05:37 PM

Curious....were the stock speakers faulty or did you just want better quality sound? If so..do you feel there is a big improvement?
Thanks, Ed

twocell 07-10-19 10:38 PM

the surrounds were totaled the cones molded w/pock marks ..... these are water-proof, neo magnets, single cone & voice coil. No question of the upgrade sounds amazing ... I've been involved w/Car audio for quite some time & these speakers live up to the build. I know they're pricey but again .... to me worth it

leexed 07-11-19 04:12 AM

I am glad that you are happy with the results of your upgrade. The audio sound quality is important to me also and I also have a few bucks invested in my ride. I make a lot of music CDs that the wife and I enjoy listening to and with a good sound system really makes for a good trip.

twocell 07-11-19 06:26 PM

the other factor was that they were true drop ins just OEM mounting bracket & Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector from Amazon on sale for $6

malema 07-12-19 09:16 PM

replaced with DS18 PRO-X698 BM

malema 07-18-19 04:53 PM

Just wanted to give an update. After listening to these for a week or so, what a difference it has made. def recommended.

Bgw70 07-21-19 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by malema (Post 10568757)
Just wanted to give an update. After listening to these for a week or so, what a difference it has made. def recommended.

Did you install them or pay to have them installed?
did they drop right in?
did they mount in the OEM adapters?

did you take any pictures during the installation?