SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2008 sc makes odd noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 09:02 PM
NBLunker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 sc makes odd noises

Just purchased an 08 sc with 43000 miles. Had the Lexus dealer inspect the car and said it was super clean. It's made some odd noises - the day I purchased the car on three different occasions it made a clanking noise after switching from reverse to forward and accelerating to 5-10 mph. I thought the sound came from rear of car maybe the wheel area? Every time I get I the car, open the door and get in there's creaks fro the driver side wheel area. I don't think the cars been driven much if any the last few years so maybe my 6-2, 230 lb frame is flexing it in a new way? The car drives like a dream, the noises just seem odd?
Old 06-29-19, 06:29 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Sounded like your suspension. Others can chime in.
Old 06-30-19, 06:09 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Suspension bushing. They can be a little difficult to diagnose. Lower control arms and strut mount I believe it's called are common. The reality is with a 10 - 12 years much of the rubber becomes soft and longer functions properly.
Old 07-16-19, 07:57 PM
NBLunker
Driver School Candidate

Default Still in the shop

I'm sorry if this is a repeat, cars been at dealer for a week with the creaking and clanking issue. On the third mechanic, two separate noises best I can tell - front end creaks around wheel well after cars been parked for several hours when I open the door and put my weight on it - dealer originally thought it was just surfas rust and lubed it but didn't fix the issue. Second is after putting the car in reverse and backing up the placing I drive and going thirty feet there's a clunk noise coming from the rear end? Car drives like a dream, these two things are extremely annoying on an otherwise perfect car. Happy that dealer hasn't just ripped into it fixing and charging me for repairs it may not need, but chicago summers are short!
Old 07-17-19, 11:35 AM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NBLunker
I'm sorry if this is a repeat, cars been at dealer for a week with the creaking and clanking issue. On the third mechanic, two separate noises best I can tell - front end creaks around wheel well after cars been parked for several hours when I open the door and put my weight on it - dealer originally thought it was just surfas rust and lubed it but didn't fix the issue. Second is after putting the car in reverse and backing up the placing I drive and going thirty feet there's a clunk noise coming from the rear end? Car drives like a dream, these two things are extremely annoying on an otherwise perfect car. Happy that dealer hasn't just ripped into it fixing and charging me for repairs it may not need, but chicago summers are short!
re: the first noise you mentioned around wheel well. I had same issue on my 60K mile 2002; from this website I found my issue; the height level sensor link front left behind the wheel. It dries out with time and the link connection lubricant no longer keeps it from making a noise when it is cold and hasn't been driven for several hours or a day or so. Exactly as you described the noise and situation: when you sit down it 'clanks' but only does it the first time you sit down. can't repeat it until hours later or days. To replace the unit is $500.00 from the dealer; the solution was found by another member and that is to raise the vehicle and lube the rubber boot you will see there joining the sensor to the link; do a search for height level sensor link; I think the member injected lubricant carefully into the small rubber boot and totally fixed the problem; I think the member also posted photos of the sensor and link with his posts.

I have a great dealer who was glad to try to do this for me, and, it has been quiet as can be since the dealer did it a couple of years ago; charged me about $50 labor. You need a thick long lasting lubricant.

The second noise sounds like it would be brake shoe related; they are commonly noisy when the tension springs on the pads weaken with use but others with far more knowledge will speak to it better than me.

Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDaveSC430:
NBLunker (07-17-19), The Ikon (03-02-22)
Old 07-17-19, 11:38 AM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

follow up: forgot to add the height level sensor link is used by the headlights to adjust their beam level when car starts; it's not a safety suspension item.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDaveSC430:
NBLunker (07-17-19), The Ikon (03-02-22)
Old 07-17-19, 04:25 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

My 08 with now 33k miles hashad two loud metallic noises from the front end when putting the car in reverse after parking in the garage.

Shop used sound locating gear to find the front brake pads were hitting something upon release.

Replaced the pads with Akebono ceramic pads and new zinc plated rotors. Pads were at 6mm. More than 50% worn.

replaced our ls460’s brakes with the same kind of parts with excellent results.

short drive today the brakes are noticeably stronger and have better modulation. Race brakes.

noise gone.
Old 07-17-19, 05:25 PM
NBLunker
Driver School Candidate

Default Creaking first time entering car

I’m not very good at navigating this forum😡. But did see an old thread where people discussed my exact issue - clank in front when stepping into car - didn’t see a consistent if any solution. Also saw one as u mentioned on the leveler but more on the sensor not bushing - retroplay has a video on cleaning but not lubricating?
Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 07-17-19, 06:23 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

I’m not very good at navigating this forum😡. But did see an old thread where people discussed my exact issue - clank in front when stepping into car - didn’t see a consistent if any solution. Also saw one as u mentioned on the leveler but more on the sensor not bushing - retroplay has a video on cleaning but not lubricating?
Mine was the brake pads. When I stepped into the car. Clack, clack
Old 07-17-19, 11:28 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

here is the post that helped me solve my noise problem with the height level sensor link. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...e-vehicle.html
Old 04-06-21, 08:53 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi NB,

I created the fix for that! The headlight sensor link ball socket behind the L/F wheel is dry. Search my post "Clank sound from L/F of vehicle when entering car". Many members have followed my instructions with complete success.

Best,

Tom
The following 2 users liked this post by tiglesias:
rakish1 (04-11-21), The Ikon (03-02-22)