Suitable Aftermarket Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 04:25 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Suitable Aftermarket Subwoofer

Greetings all,

Last year I did an Audio upgrade and went with a Carplay unit, swapped out some of the rotted front speakers and installed an aftermarket sub with its own amp, taking the sub off of the ML amp.

While the performance of the sub has increased I find that some of the bass notes are muddy with the Sub I chose, the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...nt/TS-SW2002D2

Does anyone have any experience with other aftermarket subs that they have had success with in the factory location?

Old 06-03-19, 04:58 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Initial questions

First steps:

Let's not start tearing the car apart and swapping components until we know the source of the problem. Which amp are you using and what kinds of specs does it have? What is the crossover frequency of the amp? Does it have a bass "boost" built in? Is the rest of the system stock?

Remember you have to turn the bass down at higher volumes because of the way we hear (Fletcher-Munson curve). Try this if you can adjust it separately.

What do you mean by "muddy"? One note bass or booming at certain frequencies or with certain instruments? What type of music do you listen to? IS it muddy or boomy at both high and low volumes? Remember when you drive with the top down you are changing the acoustic loading of the driver/system. Does it vary in muddiness when the top is down or up?

Try turning the bass volume down or set the low pass crossover lower or both and let us know.

What does you audio vendor or installer say? Who is it? Then call me in the morning...

Last edited by ivanj; 06-03-19 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-03-19, 05:36 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
First steps:

Let's not start tearing the car apart and swapping components until we know the source of the problem. Which amp are you using and what kinds of specs does it have? What is the crossover frequency of the amp? Does it have a bass "boost" built in? Is the rest of the system stock?

Remember you have to turn the bass down at higher volumes because of the way we hear (Fletcher-Munson curve). Try this if you can adjust it separately.

What do you mean by "muddy"? One note bass or booming at certain frequencies or with certain instruments? What type of music do you listen to? IS it muddy or boomy at both high and low volumes? Remember when you drive with the top down you are changing the acoustic loading of the driver/system. Does it vary in muddiness when the top is down or up?

Try turning the bass volume down or set the low pass crossover lower or both and let us know.

What does you audio vendor or installer say? Who is it? Then call me in the morning...
Thanks for the response, I am familiar with setting up systems as I have been doing it for years. I guess I should have framed my question differently.

I don’t believe that the sub I chose is optimal for the enclosure, or lack thereof. Wondering if anyone has had good luck with other aftermarket choices utilizing the stock location.

Currently have it set for 50hz and lower, Seems like too much excursion is occurring.
Old 06-07-19, 08:09 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyper15125

Currently have it set for 50hz and lower, Seems like too much excursion is occurring.
Sounds like the amp. See if you can adjust it. No bass boost.

Speakers (unless you have the fabled Fletcher-Munson Apple) seldom have equalization built into them at that price range.

If that doesn't work:
Look for the lowest f3 speaker spec you can find. And check the amp - Which one is it?

The stock amp is fine as long as it sees an 6-8 Ohm load. One can wire up dual voice coild 4 Ohm speakers to appear as 8 Ohms. I think Dayton makes one.

Last edited by ivanj; 06-07-19 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 06:30 PM
leexed
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I replaced my factory sub and amp with a Skar sub

and a power acoustic amp. Very happy with sound and performance.