SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Broken Windshield replacement needed + Injen Tech

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 04:19 PM
Hemisphere
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Broken Windshield replacement needed + Injen Tech

I recently purchased a 2004 SC 430, 46K miles, in fine shape, overall. Within a week a stone was kicked up and cracked the front windshield.

How have others dealt with a replacement? With one of the national services - Safelite? - or only thru a "genuine" Lexus dealer?

At what cost?

Also, I purchased one of the Injen air induction system - IS2095 (with no "P" included) via Amazon. When it arrived the instruction sheet states it's for SC 430s from 2002 to 2003 - i.e. NOT 2004.

I called Injen Tech directly and it seems they were not certain it would make a difference. Any experiences with this to share?

Thanks
Old 05-10-19, 04:57 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Used a Safelite replacement windshield, found the quality just fine, but of course it’s missing the Lexus logo on the glass. Then again saved over $500 on the cost of Lexus glass alone.
Old 05-11-19, 04:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Used a Safelite replacement windshield, found the quality just fine, but of course it’s missing the Lexus logo on the glass. Then again saved over $500 on the cost of Lexus glass alone.
Did it have the Antenna in the Safelite windshield?
Old 05-11-19, 07:33 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Regarding the Injen, it's my understanding that there should be no difference from 2002 to 2005 and probably none for any of the full production run. But I'm not positive. I'm guessing that they had only checked it out on those 2 model years.
Old 05-11-19, 07:41 AM
Hemisphere
Rookie

Thank you. It was left I'll install the unit sent and report back if there are any issues. Injen was open to it being returned if there was a problem. If anyone with an SC older than 2002 - 2003 can confirm there's no issues for a 2004 or older that might be helpful.
Old 05-11-19, 08:02 AM
VVTiBob

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Yes, the product installed by Safelite has the auxiliary antenna for the radio. It is embedded into the glass between the layers.

As a resource, members should read about OEM glass versus so called generic or aftermarket glass, then decide for themselves. LINK: https://info.glass.com/oem-vs-aftermarket-glass/

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-11-19 at 08:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (05-11-19)
Old 05-11-19, 08:03 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I can tell you that my Safelite glass did. I had mine replaced on my 06 about 4 years ago by Safelite and I can tell no difference from the original in tint or anything functional. All electronics work as they did with the OEM. The brand used by Safelite was PGW. (Pittsburgh Glass Works) This is the new PPG. (Pittsburgh Plate Glass)
Bgw70 (05-11-19)
Old 05-11-19, 08:18 AM
VVTiBob

Credit for the following info to @bclexus :

There is a lot of confusion about the terms related to windshields, as well as what insurance companies will provide or allow when a claim is made. The best windshield would be the one that has the auto brand insignia stenciled on the glass like the windshield that was originally installed in the vehicle...regardless whether it is referred to as OE, Dealer or OEM (With brand insignia logo)

Original Equipment (OE) - The first windshield installed in a vehicle. Installed at the factory.

Dealer - Parts supplied by an auto dealer. Installed to replace the OE part. Has insignia of the auto brand stenciled on the glass. i.e. Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Volvo, Lexus, etc.

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) - With brand insignia logo - Company that manufactures OE windshields. These factories also make parts for the replacement aftermarket. These aftermarket parts are sold to the replacement market and installed at the retail level. Will have insignia logo of the auto brand stenciled on the glass.

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) - Without brand insignia logo - Company that manufactures OE windshields. These factories also make parts for the replacement aftermarket. These aftermarket parts are sold to the replacement market and installed at the retail level. Will not have the insignia logo of the auto brand stenciled on the glass.

Original Equipment Equivalents (OEE) - aftermarket parts fabricated by non OEMs. These parts are not manufactured for factory installation. The term was invented a number of years ago by a foreign company to mask the fact that their products were not acceptable to the vehicle manufactures for installation at their factories.

Aftermarket brand: Most aftermarket manufacturers use a process called “reverse engineering” where they take an OEM windshield (meaning a windshield that was originally installed when the vehicle was assembled at the factory), create a mold and produce a replica. Because the quality can be compromised due to the utilization of a mold, results and fit may vary depending on manufacturer.
My comment: Regarding my my windshield replacement. The glass Safelite used was manufactured by PGW, Pittsburgh Glass Works, and has all of the DOT stamps. I found no imperfections or other concerns. My replacement was done about four years ago and I have no complaints. I have no doubt every piece of glass manufactured has unique properties due to the manufacturing processes.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-11-19 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Add my comment
Oldsig (05-12-19)
Old 05-11-19, 11:05 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

My two lexus’s with aftermarket glass do not match either cars other windows tint or UV or Infrared rejection.

ac system was calibrated for the oem glass, the black dash on my LS gets very hot with sunshine directly on it.

have to manually turn up the ac fan.

will spend the money coming up to put new oem windshields in both cars
Old 05-18-19, 01:54 PM
Hemisphere
Rookie

Default Injen issues - non existent + replacement glass responses

as previously posted -

"I purchased one of the Injen air induction system - IS2095 (with no "P" included) via Amazon. When it arrived the instruction sheet states its for SC 430s from 2002 to 2003 - i.e. NOT 2004.

I called Injen Tech directly and it seems they were not certain it would make a difference. Any experiences with this to share?"

I went ahead and installed the unit on my 2004. No problems, at all, and it indeed sounds terrific. Well worth time and money - approx./ $225 for system + $100 to have it installed. Will next add it to my 2006 SC 430.

On the broken windshield front I had a quote of $515 from a SafeLite shop. They delayed the install date and I subsequently found other independent shops who will do the seemingly same work for $375.
When asked about the source of replacement glass three other shops said the all get their glass from the same vendors. No one is thrilled with the quality readily available. Guess "it is what it is" I'm not willing to pay close to $1,000 for a "real" LEXUS replacement piece.
Old 05-19-19, 07:48 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemisphere
as previously posted -

"I purchased one of the Injen air induction system - IS2095 (with no "P" included) via Amazon. When it arrived the instruction sheet states its for SC 430s from 2002 to 2003 - i.e. NOT 2004.

I called Injen Tech directly and it seems they were not certain it would make a difference. Any experiences with this to share?"

I went ahead and installed the unit on my 2004. No problems, at all, and it indeed sounds terrific. Well worth time and money - approx./ $225 for system + $100 to have it installed. Will next add it to my 2006 SC 430.

On the broken windshield front I had a quote of $515 from a SafeLite shop. They delayed the install date and I subsequently found other independent shops who will do the seemingly same work for $375.
When asked about the source of replacement glass three other shops said the all get their glass from the same vendors. No one is thrilled with the quality readily available. Guess "it is what it is" I'm not willing to pay close to $1,000 for a "real" LEXUS replacement piece.
Like I said the ac does not work correctly without the tint and built in UV and infra red 80% blocking in oem windshield.

may explain a lot of damaged dashes.....

wife kept kicking up the ac system driving into the sun. Hot air from the dark dash on our LS.

Nicely engineered cars.

I think the oem glass is harder. Less pitting
Old 05-20-19, 11:16 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

It is possible to purchase used OEM Windshields. The glass replacement guy gave me the option on another car I owned. I said yes because I believe OEM is better on most things.

It turns out that a used OEM windshield was cheaper than a new cheap aftermarket glass.

However, it was a used windshield, so you get the natural wear and tear and not the pristine look of new glass.
Old 05-20-19, 02:13 PM
Hemisphere
Rookie

Interesting - how does one go about sourcing a used OEM windshield?
Old 05-20-19, 03:54 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemisphere
Interesting - how does one go about sourcing a used OEM windshield?
Your first step is probably calling a windshield replacement company. They can probably get it for you.

If the company doesn't source used windshields, you can try a smaller or "Mom & Pop" windshield replacement company.

When I did it, I found a windshield replacement guy on Craigslist. He gave me the option for a used windshield.

He ordered a used windshield in the morning and called me in the afternoon to have it put in.
Old 05-20-19, 08:48 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

When my SC400 windshield got chipped by the rock, we had it replaced by Lexus Dealer and even them could not get the OEM. After countless hunts, we had to settle with the after market item. This happened back in the 90s. It could be changed now, but I doubt it.

Last edited by GmanSC; 05-20-19 at 08:52 PM.