My Addictive Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 05:18 PM
SC430VA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Addictive Hobby

Hi all,
I finally got my 2005 SC 430 to nearly where I want her, i.e. making the necessary improvements to make her an absolute joy to ride. I bought this ride in August last year as my daily commuter after years of biking or using public transportation to work. At approximately 112,000 miles off the dealer's lot, the car engine felt preppy and powerful; the paint looked new, and the interior in great shape, considering she was 13 years old. After 8 months, she is my new addiction (hence the obsessive reading of this forum). This healthy, but expensive, addiction so far has emptied my wallet for the following:
- Remote Viper starter: a necessity for a Southern Californian in the cold winter of Virginia
- Backup camera via Navtool: an upgrade that brings her to date
- Bluetooth (hotspot) phone mirroring to the navigation screen also via Navtool: the quality leaves much to be desired, as it appears the navigation screen interrupts the mirroring, resulting in scrolling ghost behind the mirroring of whatever is on the navigation screen
- Tape-to-auxiliary-to-bluetooth: another modern update
- New Michelin Sport A/S+: this upgrade improves the ride quality vastly. Vastly.
- Rear strut replacement
- Filter replacement
- Navigation software update
Next on the agenda, when my wallet is halfway decent again, will be brake pads and spark plugs, based on the dealer's recommendation, as well as a spare tire. After those items are done, she should be in tiptop shape, even better than now, to be ready for future road trips.
Here are a few photos (I love looking at photos of other SC 430's on this forum).
Best,
Ian

Old 04-04-19, 10:24 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Looks good Ian.
Old 04-04-19, 05:51 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice work! What back up camera brand did you use for the Navtool? Did you do the install yourself? I really want a back up camera.

maybe i’m losing my mind, but when you go into reverse, does your side mirror tilt down automatically to help you see the parking lines? I thought it used to do this because it helped me tons. I always back park.
Old 04-04-19, 06:25 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

check the L/R mirror selection switch. If it’s in the middle position the mirrors will not tilt when the car’s transmission is put in reverse.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-04-19 at 06:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pnuge88 (04-07-19)
Old 04-04-19, 08:50 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnuge88
Nice work! What back up camera brand did you use for the Navtool? Did you do the install yourself? I really want a back up camera

Do a search on back up camera, you should find plenty of infos on how to do it. Take about 4 hours for the first timer. If I have to do it again, probably an hour or hour-and-half.
The following users liked this post:
Pnuge88 (04-07-19)
Old 04-05-19, 01:25 PM
SC430VA
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Harold!
Old 04-05-19, 01:29 PM
SC430VA
Driver School Candidate

I don't have the tools nor the space to do it myself. I paid a specialty store to install the system. The camera is generic, about $100. The tilted side mirror when backing up the car is activated when your side mirror switch is in the L or R position. If the switch is in the neutral position, the mirrors will not tilt down.
Old 04-08-19, 08:33 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I paid Best Buy to install my Naviks system with backup camera. Wasn't all that bad, cost-wise (maybe around $350 total with equipment and installation), and they did a great job on the install. I'm happy with that mod!
Old 04-08-19, 09:30 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Rick

Did you have that done at a Best Buy in Omaha?

Dennis
Old 04-08-19, 10:01 AM
SC430VA
Driver School Candidate

Nice, Rick. I'll need to check out Best Buy for price next time. I had a specialty store here in Northern Virginia install the Navtool and Viper at the same time. Good workmanship, but a little expensive.
Old 04-20-19, 05:39 PM
SC430VA
Driver School Candidate

The spare tire is in. I ordered a used Toyota Camry spare tire (T155/70R17) and tested it on the car. The bolt pattern fit, and the tire ran well. I then replaced the old 155mm tire with a new 145mm tire I had, so that I can place the tire flat in the wheel well, as I discovered in a thread posted by Cadzilla88 a few years back. Following his instructions, I was able to tie the spare wheel down using a 3/8"x6" hook bolt and washer and store all the tools underneath, including a 12V Wagan impact wrench to help loosen the lug nuts easily. Here are a few photos:

Without the stock carpet draped on top

The spare tire barely touches the cover. When opened, the window top clears the tire. The 155-mm tire also fit in this space.

With the stock carpet on top, leaving as much space as previously without the spare tire
Old 04-21-19, 08:59 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Nicely done SC430VA. That installation allows you to keep the majority of your trunk too.
Old 04-21-19, 12:22 PM
SC430VA
Driver School Candidate

Agreed, Harold. When the soft cover retracts, I am able to fit two full sea bags and a rucksack in the trunk for a road trip with peace of mind. This will be my first road trip to test this Lexus on the freeway.
Old 04-24-19, 04:41 PM
SC430VA
Driver School Candidate

I must say this car was built for road trips. I took it out on a 360-mile round-trip jaunt to Norfolk. The car felt as if it were gliding on the freeway at 60-80 mph speed. When I needed to pass, the car responded instantly and effortlessly, with the speed zooming to 100 mph in seconds and apparently extra oomph to spare. At high speed, the car hugged the blacktop. On the way back, I dropped the top. The headwind was a non-factor. The A/C worked well when the temperature swelled to the 80s and 90s, while the stock speakers were more than adequate for my ears. Finally, the gas mileage went up to 21.2 mpg from the average of 19 mpg. All in all, I truly felt luxurious in such a gem of a car.
Old 04-24-19, 10:40 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by SC430VA
I must say this car was built for road trips. I took it out on a 360-mile round-trip jaunt to Norfolk. The car felt as if it were gliding on the freeway at 60-80 mph speed. When I needed to pass, the car responded instantly and effortlessly, with the speed zooming to 100 mph in seconds and apparently extra oomph to spare. At high speed, the car hugged the blacktop. On the way back, I dropped the top. The headwind was a non-factor. The A/C worked well when the temperature swelled to the 80s and 90s, while the stock speakers were more than adequate for my ears. Finally, the gas mileage went up to 21.2 mpg from the average of 19 mpg. All in all, I truly felt luxurious in such a gem of a car.
Glad you had a good trip. I got to find time and reason to take mine on the long trip, thinking Los Angeles to San Francisco, take Hwy 1 scenic route. It should be nice, especially with my lady on the passenger seat.

Quick Reply: My Addictive Hobby