SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus sc430 180k question buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 08:06 AM
Gordiphi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus sc430 180k question buy

I am thinking about buying a Lexus SC430 in my small town. The car is up to date with all the service recommendations and drives well without mechanical or electrical issues. The major issues are #1 the convertible top doesn’t work at all. The rumor is the previous owner took it to the dealer and tried to get it fixed but it still had issues. #2 180k miles on the car. I don’t plan on putting a lot of miles on it. Probably about 7000 miles a year. #3 the antenna is missing. The body is in good shape with some areas on the hood likely secondary to some pebbles that hit it. The interior is in great shape, very well maintained. The stereo sound ok but I’ve heard better and there are no warning lights on.
Initially the asking price was 7300$ but I got them down to 6800$ thus far. My major issue is do I want to buy this car with a convertible top that doesn’t work?
thank you for your comments and suggestions
Old 03-17-19, 08:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The non-functional convertible top could be an issue. Apparently the previous owner tried to get it repaired and decided that it cost too much or they couldn't figure it out. Depending on what the problem is, it could be very expensive or could be fairly cheap. I'd advise that you take it to a mechanic that knows these cars well (most likely a dealer but not always) and have them check it out and provide an estimate for the repair and determine just what all else may be needed. (You may have trouble finding someone in a small town who can do this, most likely you'll have to take it to a larger town.)

180k miles is not real concerning, it is more becoming an age issue of components that deteriorate over time and sun exposure. What year is the car?

Is the antenna missing or just broken?

Stereo issues often are related speakers with the foam that has deteriorated. (There are several threads about repairing or replacing the speakers in this forum.)

Be sure to check out the stickies at the top of this forum's page, especially the one that discusses what to look for when buying a SC430. There's tons of great information there. Good luck and let us know what you find and decide.
Old 03-17-19, 08:39 AM
njsteve
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to take it to a Lexus dealer to read the roof codes they are the only ones who can do it
you didn’t mention the year
i had a problem with my roof and my dealer did not charge me to read the codes
mine turned out to be with the locking motor
replaced it with one from EBay for $125
Old 03-17-19, 08:43 AM
Gordiphi
Driver School Candidate

Sorry the SC430 is a 2002. Unfortunately, the nearest Lexus Dealer is about 60 -70 miles away. I was told by one of the maintenance men at the small dealership that the previous owner was told it would cost 1700 - 2000$ to fix the convertible top. Since she had recently bought a new car she didn’t want to put the money into it.
The antenna is missing. If I can get them to drop the price to 6000$ maybe it will be worth getting it fixed.
Old 03-17-19, 08:57 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Hello and welcome to the best forum on the SC430.
First let me second what Harold said, the stickie threads are the best source of info when thinking about buying a SC430. They cover a myriad of topics/failure points on the car. Take the time to read through this one in particular https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ned-sc430.html

now, regarding the convertible top, that’s a tough one in that a “major” repair could cost more than the car is worth. But the only way to know what’s going on is to get error codes. There are literally 20 switches, sensors, fuses that all have to function correctly for the top to operate.

Regarding the stereo, the problem there is, more than likely, blown door woofers. They are a known defect. There are repair kits available and plenty of threads here on the forum on how to fix or replace them. Is it just the antenna mast or the whole assembly. Mast only, easy peasy. Whole assembly probably $4-500 parts labor. See this TSB

If if you can get the VIN you can look up the service history on the car from Lexus Dealers. Obviously that doesn’t include independent shops or DIY work unless the owner added it to the Lexus Service History on the car which CAN be done.

Finally miles ...not too bad for a 17-18 year old car. If well maintained! But with age, parts parish. Car battery, for a variety of reason seem to be eaten alive, especially if the car sits during long winters. Valve cover gasket seals for one in particular, shocks leak and wear out, motor mounts fail, O2 sensors meet their demise and many fluids should have been flushed on replaced. Not to mention the big one, the timing belt/water pump which should have been done at 10 years/90k. Having the car carefully inspected by a dealer would be a wise, and considering what could be lurking, smart investment for this purchase.

You didn’t indicate if you are a person who wants to do the work yourself, or take it somewhere???

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-17-19 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-22-19, 10:24 AM
Kien04SC
Driver School Candidate

I would say no more than $4k for the mileage and condition, so you have room to do maintenance and repair. For the roof, my had a switch failure which cost me $100 for repair after another $50 for Techstream software for diagnostic.
Old 03-22-19, 01:23 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Too tough to call this one without a real good estimate on what the cost to fix the roof will be. I would ask dealer to get a written quote from a Lexus dealer on how much it would cost to fix the roof, then inflate that by about 25-30% to figure out what your all in cost will be to get the car fully operational.
Old 03-22-19, 01:32 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Unless I was a pro mechanic and knew I could fix the roof myself I would pass on an SC430 with a non working roof. Just too much risk and potential headache to take on.