SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

my rare 18 inch trd rims factory lexus rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 10:37 AM
confuzion
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my rare 18 inch trd rims factory lexus rims

im not posting this for sale as i havent been a member long enough to yet. so i figured id just throw up a conversational discussion. i bought these rims at least 10 years ago. i have taken very good care of them. the guy i bought them off said they were factory lexus rims. which im pretty sure is the sc430. i was amazed lexus had such a nice factory rim and always bragged to everyone these are lexus rims! as i was younger.

i put them on my 1995 ( i think 95? might be 96 or 97, been a while) monte carlo with spacers at the time. after i sold my monte carlo i put them on my 2001 dodge chrysler. recently i got a newer malibu and they dont fit because of the lug spacing. i've taken good care of them as much as possible. they never saw snow/salt and every winter i would put them in the house with plastic bags covering them. they originally had run flat tires which im not sure if those were factory at the time or not but i eventually had to replace them. a problem i had was getting these alligned for my cars since i dont own a lexus the alignment never was perfect so the tires would wear. and the tires i could only rotate front to back because they have a certain rotation to them. im pretty sure they were specifically made for the certain lexus sports car and not really random cars. i havent actually used them in years. i think i may part with them soon since my malibu has only 30k miles and they dont fit. they mean alot to me because i bought them at a time me and my dad were working together and i had saved up for them. i think i maybe only used them 3 or 4 summers out of the entire time i had them. i live in a high crime area so even with a car alarm people were starting to try to break my door handle or setting off my alarm once a week so they became a headache since i had no garage at my previous spot. which was a shame because i loved walking to my car from a store and looking at these shine

over the years i have been doing google searches on these rims and the only results i find on them were always on this website. i always wanted to say hey i have those to! but i never signed up. but i noticed this website is the only place they appear. i think i saw them on ebay once years ago for about $2k. ive seen both good and bad comments about these rims. some think they are ugly. some have a hard time finding them as a replacement. some really love the chrome look to it. i get if people dont like them, everyone has their own tastes. to me i love them

the lugnuts are fairly small and i have the adapter tool to put them on. im not sure if that was factory or not but i would think so.

picture i took today, adapters and lugnuts

the old 90's monte carlo

the old 90's monte carlo

2001 chrysler

2001 chrysler

2001 chrysler

Old 03-15-19, 11:27 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

I sincerely doubt those are “Lexus” OEM, since they are TRD wheels. If you go to import archive.com you can view manufacturers brochures. You may find them somewhere. There’s also a possibility a dealer may have added them as an aftermarket option.

With that said, there is a very old thread from 2002 and I think are the same model wheels on a SC430. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-in-stock.html. As well as this thread from 2009 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...trd-wheel.html

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-15-19 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 12:07 PM
bgeeez
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They are TRD wheels, that were a dealer option for sc430 buyers. they came unpolished and polished chrome

I had them on my SC when i bought it in 2017 and did a bunch of research and was able to find the part number

ptr12-42701-10 is the part number for the chrome style. -00 is the unpolished

some places still have listings for them for sale but i doubt they actually have them.

took me a year to sell them for $800 with new tires

Old 03-15-19, 02:50 PM
confuzion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgeeez
They are TRD wheels, that were a dealer option for sc430 buyers. they came unpolished and polished chrome

I had them on my SC when i bought it in 2017 and did a bunch of research and was able to find the part number

some places still have listings for them for sale but i doubt they actually have them.

wow they look awesome on there. and yes they had unpolished ones as well. i didnt like those to much. i didnt know they were dealer optional so thats actually cool to know. i have read people in the past dispute they were lexus rims because they were trd, but they are indeed for the lexus like you said.

i always wondered what the extra holes in the rims were by the lugnuts do you know? it kind of looks like you could attach spinners on them or something. i wonder if it was just the design or what
Old 03-15-19, 02:56 PM
confuzion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I sincerely doubt those are “Lexus” OEM, since they are TRD wheels. If you go to import archive.com you can view manufacturers brochures. You may find them somewhere. There’s also a possibility a dealer may have added them as an aftermarket option.

With that said, there is a very old thread from 2002 and I think are the same model wheels on a SC430. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-in-stock.html. As well as this thread from 2009 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...trd-wheel.html
there is quite a few very old threads i seen on here over the years about them, those 2 being some of them. $2k for the set back then was usually what i saw people posting them for like the first link says.
Old 03-15-19, 03:00 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by confuzion
im not posting this for sale as i havent been a member long enough to yet. so i figured id just throw up a conversational discussion. i bought these rims at least 10 years ago. i have taken very good care of them. the guy i bought them off said they were factory lexus rims. which im pretty sure is the sc430. i was amazed lexus had such a nice factory rim and always bragged to everyone these are lexus rims! as i was younger.

i put them on my 1995 ( i think 95? might be 96 or 97, been a while) monte carlo with spacers at the time. after i sold my monte carlo i put them on my 2001 dodge chrysler. recently i got a newer malibu and they dont fit because of the lug spacing. i've taken good care of them as much as possible. they never saw snow/salt and every winter i would put them in the house with plastic bags covering them. they originally had run flat tires which im not sure if those were factory at the time or not but i eventually had to replace them. a problem i had was getting these alligned for my cars since i dont own a lexus the alignment never was perfect so the tires would wear. and the tires i could only rotate front to back because they have a certain rotation to them. im pretty sure they were specifically made for the certain lexus sports car and not really random cars. i havent actually used them in years. i think i may part with them soon since my malibu has only 30k miles and they dont fit. they mean alot to me because i bought them at a time me and my dad were working together and i had saved up for them. i think i maybe only used them 3 or 4 summers out of the entire time i had them. i live in a high crime area so even with a car alarm people were starting to try to break my door handle or setting off my alarm once a week so they became a headache since i had no garage at my previous spot. which was a shame because i loved walking to my car from a store and looking at these shine

over the years i have been doing google searches on these rims and the only results i find on them were always on this website. i always wanted to say hey i have those to! but i never signed up. but i noticed this website is the only place they appear. i think i saw them on ebay once years ago for about $2k. ive seen both good and bad comments about these rims. some think they are ugly. some have a hard time finding them as a replacement. some really love the chrome look to it. i get if people dont like them, everyone has their own tastes. to me i love them

the lugnuts are fairly small and i have the adapter tool to put them on. im not sure if that was factory or not but i would think so.
nice wheels...two questions.

do you have any pics of inside of the wheels?
also, why do all of your pics have confuzion written on them?

its easy to prove OEM...see pic below.

Old 03-15-19, 05:23 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by confuzion

i always wondered what the extra holes in the rims were by the lugnuts do you know? it kind of looks like you could attach spinners on them or something. i wonder if it was just the design or what

The holes are for the alignment machine. Then there's no chance of scratching the edge of the wheel with it. BMW does that on their wheels.

never thought I'd have something to add to a wheel thread.

Last edited by Coleroad; 03-15-19 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 03-15-19, 06:58 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bgeeez

I'm the second owner of my 2002 and these were on mine when I bought it 9 years ago; the first owner bought them through Lexus when he bought the car new. I have the millenium silver paint color on my car and have always loved them on the car; and in fact found three used ones in perfect shape several years and replaced three of mine that had very minor scratches. I still have the ones i took off as they're just too nice to discard; never tried to sell them since I only have three. All of mine still look great; chrome work was excellent and always get compliments. I even found an extra set of the TRD caps on ebay and bought them in case I needed them. I love 'em! Lexus does my alignment and balancing and they are smooth as can be with non run-flat tires.
Old 03-18-19, 06:55 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

I have these wheels on my 2002 SC.
They have some chrome flaking.

If yours are in good shape I would be interested in purchasing if you decide to sell.
Old 03-27-19, 03:23 AM
confuzion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70

nice wheels...two questions.

do you have any pics of inside of the wheels?
also, why do all of your pics have confuzion written on them?

its easy to prove OEM...see pic below.

i can take pics of the inside. even if the rims are made by toyota couldnt they specifically made for the lexus brand? i guess what i mean by that is even though maybe toyota made them, i dont think they were easy to find elsewhere besides a addon option when buying a lexus. i may be wrong as im not to knowledged at it.

i wrote confuzion on them because thats the name i go by, and with how many scammers there are online i didnt want someone to steal the pics and use them. similar to when people sell stuff on ebay they sometimes put their username so people cant steal their pics and try to sell something that doesnt exist. i dont care if people save them if they wanted. but since the rims are pretty hard to find i dont want someone using the pics 10 years down the road to try to screw someone over. prob just me being paranoid and overthinking
Old 03-27-19, 03:25 AM
confuzion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coleroad

The holes are for the alignment machine. Then there's no chance of scratching the edge of the wheel with it. BMW does that on their wheels.

never thought I'd have something to add to a wheel thread.
i would of never guessed that, thanks for the picture. thats pretty cool
Old 03-27-19, 03:34 AM
confuzion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tennman117
I have these wheels on my 2002 SC.
They have some chrome flaking.

If yours are in good shape I would be interested in purchasing if you decide to sell.
i think i may have to sell them since my new car only has 30k miles and they dont fit on them. ive never sold anything this big out of state though so i kind of wouldnt even know where to start if i did. but i may be interested

i have them in my back spare room in plastic bags (except the top one) so ill have to dig them out and look them over again. but they should be in great condition. off hand the problems i can think of is one is missing one of the little fake rivet things i think. and one rim has about a inch scuff mark at the border. other then that i dont think there was anything wrong. i think one rim there is a partially part of the rim where the chrome is a little lighter. i dont know if that makes sense, i think when they were chroming it it didnt fully take but isnt very noticeable.

when i get a sunny free day soon i'll take them out in my backyard and record a detailed video of them and point out any flaw i see. a video in the sunlight is alot better then a picture.

the tires prob need replaced. i know one for sure is bald. the other 3 you could wear down for a summer the tread is wearing down on the outsides from turning and them not being able to align it right with my car. every place i took it to they said the rims were to big to get a accurate alignment but they did what they could. i could show that in the video to