SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2006 SC430 TPMS Sensor Colors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 12:27 PM
Oldsig
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2006 SC430 TPMS Sensor Colors?

Easy question: for the 2006, does each wheel get a different color TPMS sensor or does the entire vehicle get the same color?

The previous owner of my 2006 had a issues with the light going on. The service records showed that one sensor was replaced but sometime later he went back for the same issue again. When he went back the second time, the records showed that "...the light was off when the vehicle arrived..." so nothing was done. I'm the new owner now and the light was on when I took delivery last Friday. The tire pressure is correct so I'm thinking that I might as well replace all of them and start off fresh.

My local Lexus dealer does not stock the sensors for the 2006 but agreed to replace and reprogram all of them for $160 if I supply the sensors. Does not seem like a bad price plus there is favorite restaurant nearby that I can grab lunch or dinner at

I thought that each wheel had a different color but the Service Manager made a comment about "bringing the right color" with me (as if he thinks they are all the same for a specific vehicle). Rock Auto has all 4 colors in stock. The odd thing is that White is $66.79 and the other colors are $71.99

Bob
Old 02-14-19, 12:51 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldsig
Easy question: for the 2006, does each wheel get a different color TPMS sensor or does the entire vehicle get the same color?

The previous owner of my 2006 had a issues with the light going on. The service records showed that one sensor was replaced but sometime later he went back for the same issue again. When he went back the second time, the records showed that "...the light was off when the vehicle arrived..." so nothing was done. I'm the new owner now and the light was on when I took delivery last Friday. The tire pressure is correct so I'm thinking that I might as well replace all of them and start off fresh.

My local Lexus dealer does not stock the sensors for the 2006 but agreed to replace and reprogram all of them for $160 if I supply the sensors. Does not seem like a bad price plus there is favorite restaurant nearby that I can grab lunch or dinner at

I thought that each wheel had a different color but the Service Manager made a comment about "bringing the right color" with me (as if he thinks they are all the same for a specific vehicle). Rock Auto has all 4 colors in stock. The odd thing is that White is $66.79 and the other colors are $71.99

Bob
Each wheel gets a different color. There are a couple places you can buy the sensors. eBay, Amazon ,Rock Auto etc. That is interesting that the one color is different at Rock Auto. I bought mine from a dealer on eBay and all were the same price. I wouldn't worry about it. You can get either Toyota brand or Denso. Denso makes them for Toyota so you can choose. I have not found that the Denso are any cheaper. I just replaced all mine in my 06 in October of 2018. I would suggest you do the same. Once one goes the others are not far behind. The colors are gold, blue, red and white. Many of us programmed the sensors ourselves. I will say that $160 is not bad for a reprogramming. The local Toyota dealer here wanted $250.00. It takes all of about 10 minutes. (if you have the right software)
My understanding is, if you get the Denso you have to get the service kit also. The Toyota part includes all the gaskets etc you will need for the installation. I am not 100% sure about that so call Rock Auto if you go that route. The Toyota part has everything.

Last edited by iolmaster; 02-14-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 02:54 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Some vendors sell, how shall I put it, lesser quality parts, or ones that might not meet OEM specs. Something to think about.
Old 02-14-19, 03:35 PM
Oldsig
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Some vendors sell, how shall I put it, lesser quality parts, or ones that might not meet OEM specs. Something to think about.
Do you think that the Denso TPMS sensors at Rock Auto are ones that you would buy or is there a "better" source or brand?
Bob
Old 02-14-19, 03:42 PM
Oldsig
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Each wheel gets a different color. There are a couple places you can buy the sensors. eBay, Amazon ,Rock Auto etc. That is interesting that the one color is different at Rock Auto. I bought mine from a dealer on eBay and all were the same price. I wouldn't worry about it. You can get either Toyota brand or Denso. Denso makes them for Toyota so you can choose. I have not found that the Denso are any cheaper. I just replaced all mine in my 06 in October of 2018. I would suggest you do the same. Once one goes the others are not far behind. The colors are gold, blue, red and white. Many of us programmed the sensors ourselves. I will say that $160 is not bad for a reprogramming. The local Toyota dealer here wanted $250.00. It takes all of about 10 minutes. (if you have the right software)
My understanding is, if you get the Denso you have to get the service kit also. The Toyota part includes all the gaskets etc you will need for the installation. I am not 100% sure about that so call Rock Auto if you go that route. The Toyota part has everything.
Thanks for confirming what I thought. I started to second guess myself. I had actually put the Denso service kits in my cart too. It was not that I knew I needed them but I prefer the hex valve stem caps that came with them. I figured that I'd keep the rest for sometime down the road when I'd get new tires or if I needed them sooner.

Bob
Old 02-14-19, 10:08 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

I’m fine with DENSO products.
Old 02-15-19, 01:12 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I started to second guess myself. I had actually put the Denso service kits in my cart too. It was not that I knew I needed them but I prefer the hex valve stem caps that came with them. I figured that I'd keep the rest for sometime down the road when I'd get new tires or if I needed them sooner.

Bob
i just ordered four Denso sensors for my Accord and they came with all the mounting hardware.
Old 02-15-19, 05:11 PM
Oldsig
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bgw70

i just ordered four Denso sensors for my Accord and they came with all the mounting hardware.
Thanks, I'm placing my order tonight. Bob
Old 02-16-19, 04:44 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks, I'm placing my order tonight. Bob
Just so you know. The only thing that they need is the gaskets to mount the new sensors. All the tire places have them. You really do not need the kits with new hex nuts and caps.