Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Maybe check with a Toyota dealer?
Old 03-20-19, 01:53 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

yep, I understand the ECU is new and requires programming...I am still wondering what would’ve happened if you installed a used ECU from a used 2006-2008 SC430...
I agree with BGW. If you were to purchase a used module, it should already come pre-programmed. Googling the part number you gave, I came up with this:
https://www.tlsautorecycling.com/search/2007/lexus/sc430/358539.html

You should be able to install it into your car and be done with it, but you could also put it in your car, have the dealer take the programming off of it and then program your new module.
Old 03-24-19, 09:57 AM
Indianajef
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did debate about purchasing a used ECU, but I did not want the dealer to point to a used ECU if the problem still existed with the used ECU. I wanted to eliminate any excuses from the dealer for not getting this resolved. Plus you just do not know what condition the used ECU was in when it was removed. So, I decided to go with a New ECU.

The next closest Lexus dealer is about 100 miles away from me in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The Fort Wayne dealer is a Lexus/Toyota dealer. I called them to discuss what I was being told by the Indianapolis Lexus Service Department to get the data from another 2006-2008 SC430. He commented that that was odd and that he would ask a Tech that has been there for over 18 years. The tech told him that it should be as simple as a re-initializing the new ECU to the vehicle. While I do not want to drive 200 miles round trip, I am leaning on making the trip to Fort Wayne to see if they can resolve.

It may take me a week or two to get up the Fort Wayne, but I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-24-19, 10:02 AM
Indianajef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
Maybe check with a Toyota dealer?
As I stated in the previous post, I am leaning on taking it to a Lexus/Toyota Dealer to see if I can get this resolved. I would like to stay with a Lexus Dealer. I am afraid that if I start taking the car to Toyota dealers that the Lexus dealers will say that Toyota did something wrong. So far, I have only taken it to the Lexus Dealer in Indy.

Thanks,

Jef
Old 06-10-19, 03:20 PM
Indianajef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Indianajef
I did debate about purchasing a used ECU, but I did not want the dealer to point to a used ECU if the problem still existed with the used ECU. I wanted to eliminate any excuses from the dealer for not getting this resolved. Plus you just do not know what condition the used ECU was in when it was removed. So, I decided to go with a New ECU.

The next closest Lexus dealer is about 100 miles away from me in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The Fort Wayne dealer is a Lexus/Toyota dealer. I called them to discuss what I was being told by the Indianapolis Lexus Service Department to get the data from another 2006-2008 SC430. He commented that that was odd and that he would ask a Tech that has been there for over 18 years. The tech told him that it should be as simple as a re-initializing the new ECU to the vehicle. While I do not want to drive 200 miles round trip, I am leaning on making the trip to Fort Wayne to see if they can resolve.

It may take me a week or two to get up the Fort Wayne, but I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Jeff
Well it has been a while, but I wanted to give everyone an update on the SRS light challenge that I have been having with my 2007 SC430.

I took the car up to the Fort Wayne Lexus Dealer as mentioned in earlier post. The dealer had the car for one month but did not have any luck in getting the SRS light to go off. They even opened up a TAS with Lexus to gain additional help. While I did appreciate their effort to help, I am disappointed that the problem did not get resolved.

Everything still points to the passenger seat as being the problem.

I see these as my options:
- Try to find a complete 2007 passenger seat and swap it out to see if that solves the problem (has anyone on this forum swapped out a passenger seat on a 2007 or newer SC430? In reading the service manual, I am not sure this will work.)
- Try to get the data from a 2007 Occupant Detection ECU and have it copied on to my brand new ECU. (Is anyone with a 2007 SC430 going to a Lexus dealer in the not too distant future to see if they can get the data and send it to me or my Lexus Dealer in Indianapolis? Again, not sure this will fix the problem, but you would have my undying gratitude)
- Wait and hope that TAS will eventually come up with a solution (not sure how long this will take)
- Drive it and enjoy it (put a piece of black tape over the light).

I am obviously grasping at straws at this point, but not sure what else to do.

Love this forum!!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-13-19, 09:48 AM
cespede
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it has been a while, but I wanted to give everyone an update on the SRS light challenge that I have been having with my 2007 SC430.

I took the car up to the Fort Wayne Lexus Dealer as mentioned in earlier post. The dealer had the car for one month but did not have any luck in getting the SRS light to go off. They even opened up a TAS with Lexus to gain additional help. While I did appreciate their effort to help, I am disappointed that the problem did not get resolved.

Everything still points to the passenger seat as being the problem.

I see these as my options:
- Try to find a complete 2007 passenger seat and swap it out to see if that solves the problem (has anyone on this forum swapped out a passenger seat on a 2007 or newer SC430? In reading the service manual, I am not sure this will work.)
- Try to get the data from a 2007 Occupant Detection ECU and have it copied on to my brand new ECU. (Is anyone with a 2007 SC430 going to a Lexus dealer in the not too distant future to see if they can get the data and send it to me or my Lexus Dealer in Indianapolis? Again, not sure this will fix the problem, but you would have my undying gratitude)
- Wait and hope that TAS will eventually come up with a solution (not sure how long this will take)
- Drive it and enjoy it (put a piece of black tape over the light).

I am obviously grasping at straws at this point, but not sure what else to do.

Love this forum!!

Thanks,

Jeff
I’m having the same problem after the ECU in my 2008 SC went under water during recent heavy rains. I’ve been searching for a used ECU, but no luck so far. My wife won’t ride in it because the passenger airbag OFF light stays on all the time. I guess I’ll have a single seat SC until we can come up with a solution. Please keep me posted and I’ll do the same. Thanks.
Old 06-13-19, 10:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by cespede
I’m having the same problem after the ECU in my 2008 SC went under water during recent heavy rains. I’ve been searching for a used ECU, but no luck so far. My wife won’t ride in it because the passenger airbag OFF light stays on all the time. I guess I’ll have a single seat SC until we can come up with a solution. Please keep me posted and I’ll do the same. Thanks.
LoL, So I guess she wouldn’t ride in a 1969 Corvette either...
The following users liked this post:
cespede (06-13-19)
Old 06-13-19, 01:22 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Using BGW's favorite car part search engine, I came up with at least Five Modules that should work for either of you. You can call them and see if they have the exact part number you are looking for
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin

cespede (06-13-19)
Old 06-13-19, 06:30 PM
cespede
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Using BGW's favorite car part search engine, I came up with at least Five Modules that should work for either of you. You can call them and see if they have the exact part number you are looking for
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin

I had searched that site using the actual part number and got no hits. Thanks for showing how to search for this item. I will contact these vendors tomorrow to see if the part numbers match mine. The prices listed are very reasonable. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-19, 08:00 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Thanks again.
Happy to help. If your ECU got wet, most likely your harness did also. This can lead to long term corrosion.

As soon as you can, spray some contact cleaner into the harness connectors

cespede (06-13-19)
Old 06-14-19, 10:28 AM
cespede
Driver School Candidate

I had searched that site using the actual part number and got no hits. Thanks for showing how to search for this item. I will contact these vendors tomorrow to see if the part numbers match mine. The prices listed are very reasonable. Thanks again.
Well, it took all morning, but I finally got through and ordered the part from a 2008 SC in Arkansas. Should be here by Wednesday and I’ll update y’all next week. Thanks again for tracking down this part.
Old 06-21-19, 12:56 PM
cespede
Driver School Candidate

I swapped out my ECU with one out of a 2008 SC that I ordered from car-part.com and everything works fine. I followed DshngDaryl’s recommendation and cleaned all the connectors under the seat with WD 40 Electrical Contact Cleaner. Thanks to all on this thread for the helpful advice.
Bgw70 (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 04:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I swapped out my ECU with one out of a 2008 SC that I ordered from car-part.com and everything works fine. I followed DshngDaryl’s recommendation and cleaned all the connectors under the seat with WD 40 Electrical Contact Cleaner. Thanks to all on this thread for the helpful advice.
Thanks for the update and so glad it corrected the problem!
Perhaps Indianajef will follow your lead and order a used part to correct his problem.

there is nothing wrong with used parts...my 2002 has plenty of used parts.
some of you might remember when my brake master cylinder was leaking and I found a used replacement for $100.
four years later, it is still good to go...knock on wood.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-24-19 at 02:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
cespede (06-22-19), VVTiBob (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 11:37 AM
Indianajef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Thanks for the update and so glad it corrected the problem!
Perhaps Indianajef will follow you lead and order a used part to correct his problem.

there is nothing wrong with used parts...my 2002 has plenty of used parts.
some of you might remember when my brake master cylinder was leaking and I found a used replacement for $100.
four years later, it is still good to go...knock on wood.
Bgw70 not sure why you decided to assume that I am "too good" or "not willing" to purchase used parts. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have purchased many used items for my cars, motorcycles, etc. over the years. Heck I have been a member on Ebay since 1998.
However, I am a little more cautious purchasing used electronics...especially when they are used in a car's safety system. Also, this 2007 SC430 is my daughters and I am probably more cautious than I would be than if it were me driving it.
I thought (obviously incorrectly) that Lexus dealer(s) could fix the SRS problem, I have been working with cespede to get one of ours fixed...even offering my new ECU to him if it would help him. The service manual was not much help and all 3 Lexus dealers that looked at the car pointed to needing a new ECU (and 2 of the 3 dealers even advised to replace the seat cushion sensor at the same time). How Lexus can sell the ECU and yet not have access to the data to load on to the ECU is quite frustrating and mind-boggling.
I will probably purchase the used ECU from car-parts.com now that I have a higher degree of confidence it might work given the success of cespede.
Let's not jump to conclusions about members.
I really enjoy this sight and the amount of information is really invaluable.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-23-19, 08:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Bgw70 not sure why you decided to assume that I am "too good" or "not willing" to purchase used parts. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have purchased many used items for my cars, motorcycles, etc. over the years. Heck I have been a member on Ebay since 1998.
However, I am a little more cautious purchasing used electronics...especially when they are used in a car's safety system. Also, this 2007 SC430 is my daughters and I am probably more cautious than I would be than if it were me driving it.
I thought (obviously incorrectly) that Lexus dealer(s) could fix the SRS problem, I have been working with cespede to get one of ours fixed...even offering my new ECU to him if it would help him. The service manual was not much help and all 3 Lexus dealers that looked at the car pointed to needing a new ECU (and 2 of the 3 dealers even advised to replace the seat cushion sensor at the same time). How Lexus can sell the ECU and yet not have access to the data to load on to the ECU is quite frustrating and mind-boggling.
I will probably purchase the used ECU from car-parts.com now that I have a higher degree of confidence it might work given the success of cespede.
Let's not jump to conclusions about members.
I really enjoy this sight and the amount of information is really invaluable.
Thanks,
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Guess I should have chosen my words more carefully...I will speak for all of us when I say, we only want you to have this problem corrected, so you can go out and enjoy your car again.

Quick Reply: SRS Light On - Occupant Detection ECU