SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC Recall: Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 09:44 AM
NSG
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Disconnecting battery won’t kill your sensor. It’s just one of the moments in life, time For new sensors.
Mine just died, one last month and two more this week.
CLOSING THE TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR PORTION OF THIS CHAIN... It seems my SC430 had aftermarket TPM sensors in all 4 corners. They apparently worked fine for years, but (as suggested in this chain) one or more of the batteries failed, resulting in the TPM warning light. Reluctantly (because of the $700 cost) I had all four sensors replaced with Lexus parts by the dealership. All is well now, and the service advisor says they should last 10 years or more. I guess if you pro-rate the cost it's not so bad... $70/year or $17.50/year per tire. I really prefer to keep the car as close to factory-spec as possible. As always, thanks to everyone for all your comments and suggestions. These forums are priceless.
Old 04-30-19, 03:56 PM
RA032023
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had two recalls done for the airbag, no problems either time.
Old 05-09-19, 06:24 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I finally make an appt for the recall @ Lexus of Brooklyn. They state the work takes two days to complete and offered me a loaner. Let see what loaner I will get. I always feel excited on the loaner and I don't know why.
Old 05-09-19, 06:57 PM
NSG
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there’s a little kid in us all. Loaners can be fun... The last one I had was with me for a month!
Old 05-13-19, 09:30 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Car went in today

Dropped off my SC this morning for the Air-Bag. Service advisor said, this is a very nice clean. sc, for a 2003. I said, are they taking off the Dash, he said yes, Yikes! I took pictures of my dashboard areas, just in case something gets damaged.
Also having my new Michelins Road Force balanced along with oil change. He said I should get a alignment, about 160.00, I said that was high, he said would have the Tech put the car on the machine to see if it is out for only 70.00, I said ok, my guess they are going to call me and say I need one?
Coolant flush was 179.00, I said no to that since I have only 32K miles. Also with their full inspection, I wonder what else they will fine, hopefully not brakes, had my car inspected in October, car passed all.

I will report back any information, they gave me a loaner, RC 300, 2k miles, not a bad ride, for sure feels different than our SC430's. While at the Dealership, I was looking at the new cars, Dang, cars are price way up there, the least expensive new car on the lot was 50K and up!

Talk soon!
B-
Old 05-14-19, 02:11 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received call from dealership, they finished the air-bag recall. Oil change/alignment/road force balance and brakes all good. Service advisor asked me if I had some scratches on the inside A-pillar trim, answer no.
Now appears the tech scratched them when removing, Dealer ordered replace along with driver side to match. Mentioned to him I took photos if they need proof!

I am fussy about keeping my interior clean, mentioned to service advisor to make sure there is not finger prints inside my car, he agreed and said they would clean her. Forgot who posted the pdf file of the take-apart of Dash, MANY Parts are removed, hence hope all is back in order and clean!

B-
Old 05-14-19, 10:41 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just completed the recall for the 3rd. time (2013 and twice recently). The dealer gave me a 2019 RX 350L. I put on the work order and placed a sign on the dash "DO NOT WASH". Hope this is the last of the recalls.
Old 05-14-19, 06:57 PM
grabber2
Racer

This is the reason I don't like to bring the car to the dealer. You don't know who is working on your car and you can't be there to watch them do it.
Old 05-16-19, 05:43 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Back from Dealership

After 2-days at the dealership, all went well, Air Bag replaced. They had to order a new A-pillar interior modeling since it got damaged somehow. Dealer order qty 2 so they would match.

Brakes passed
4-wheel alignment done was out of spec
Road force balance and rotate tires.
Oil changed!
Car rolls nicely now, especially at 60MPH.
My bill was 250.00 all in, not bad!
Air Bag I was told they get about 800.00 from Lexus

I agree it would be nice for the tech to meet!

Thanks
Bob
Old 05-16-19, 02:55 PM
Born2saw
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My dealer had only 2 techs they trust to do the airbag on the sc430 and the day mine was to be done one was in vacation and the other was ill. Kept the loaner for a week (NX300). Not a bad little SUV. I had an oil change, road force balance and rotation, alignment and full inspection. $260 out the door i felt was reasonable.
Old 06-10-19, 08:15 PM
grabber2
Racer

If you are in NYC, avoid Bay Ridge Lexus to do your recall. Here are the reasons:

1. They don't offer Lexus loaner even though they said yes when I schedule the appointment over the phone. They end up sending me to Enterprise. The Enterprise guy told me they exclusively contracted with Bay Ridge Leux & he doesn't believe this dealer have any Lexus loaner.
2. When I go pick-up the next day, I notice two dark spots on the passenger side ecru liner (between the floor mat and door) and dirty spot all over the passenger seat. It looks whoever tech work on it have a dirty boot and they didn't bother to put any seat cover when they work on it. In addition, the interior was dusty. I pointed them out to the service manager but she doesn't seem to care. She stated they only wash the exterior and not allow to clean the interior. I shook my head, emphasized my disappointment with her, and drove my SC home.

I was gonna give them an honest review. However, I never receive any email from Bay Ridge Lexus/Lexus about my experience.

On the other hand, I always receive email or even call from the Volvo dealer about my experience and if I'm satisfied with the service.

Last edited by grabber2; 06-10-19 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-12-19, 04:11 PM
bobster99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was similar to my experience with Lexus of Pembroke Pines but they did give me a Lexus RX as a loaner (Not really my style but ok).

They did wash my car but they also lost my car somewhere on their lot for about 45 minutes.

When I finally got the car they had covered the tires with so much tire dressing (I hate that stuff) that I am still cleaning it off months later.
I also found a greasy boot print on my eucr floor mat. I was so frustrated waiting 45 minutes for the guy to find my car that I didn't *****.

I did get the survey and when I mentioned this I did get a call back and I have a "free" oil change if I ever feel like going back. Given that I don't think I have put 10K on the car since I bought it and I change the oil every year or 1000 miles myself I doubt I will ever use it.

I did have a friend in South Florida here who is on her second passenger air bag,
IT was replaced it 2-3 years ago but for some reason the air bag light came back on 6 months ago. I tried to diagnosis it with Techstream but when the scanner said that there was a wiring issue I gave up. a few months later Lexus sent out a second recall on the same bag and Lexus of North Miami replaced it for free fixing the air bag light. I have no idea the actual problem, maybe the second air bag failed.

They also gave her a suggested repair list:
  • Brakes... $700 for front/back NOT including Rotors,
  • $865 to replace the radiator that I had replaced a year earlier with a Denso
  • Various oil leaks to the tune of $1500 that I think is just a leaking power steering return line.
Needless to say I put on a set of front brakes and rotors for her, I don't think that the parts cost $150.
As to the rest of the suggested repairs... Well, I guess that they have to pay for that nice building some how I guess.

I really would have liked to have been a state inspector when it came to the "bad" radiator that was actually less than a year old.