SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC Recall: Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 10:34 AM
NSG
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NSG

Well, I took my SC to the Lexus dealer for the passenger airbag/inflator replacement on Tuesday, as scheduled. Few hours later, they called to say the car requires a complete replacement of the airbag unit - not just the inflator. As fate would have it, they do not have the part(s) - and will not have them until the end of March. Lexus will not allow the vehicle to be released, so I’m to keep the loaner (new GS sedan) for the month, with their compliments and apologies for any inconvenience. As much as I miss my SC, I will force myself to “make do” with the loaner.
JUST AN UPDATE... As of March 22, 2019, the Lexus dealer in Portland, Oregon still has my SC430 held hostage! ;-) They say parts (complete replacement of the passenger side airbag) should arrive by the end of the month. Unfortunately, I have travel scheduled from April 2-10, so I may not be able to retrieve my car until I've returned. In the meantime, I am enjoying their loaner (a 2017 GS sedan with 11,000 miles) but I really miss my convertible on nice spring days.
Old 03-29-19, 02:30 PM
NSG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NSG
JUST AN UPDATE... As of March 22, 2019, the Lexus dealer in Portland, Oregon still has my SC430 held hostage! ;-) They say parts (complete replacement of the passenger side airbag) should arrive by the end of the month. Unfortunately, I have travel scheduled from April 2-10, so I may not be able to retrieve my car until I've returned. In the meantime, I am enjoying their loaner (a 2017 GS sedan with 11,000 miles) but I really miss my convertible on nice spring days.
MARCH 29, 2019 - I picked-up the SC430 this morning. The airbag replacement apparently was completed successfully. Unfortunately, the technicians needed to disconnect the battery and in the wake of the repair, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System is now alerting to a non-existent low pressure condition. (Steady light only / not flashing / no beeping) I have checked the tires and they all are reading 33PSI, as they should. I wasn't sure whether the space-saver spare might also have a sensor, so I checked it as well. It's also at the correct pressure. (I've since determined that it does not have a sensor.) This 2003 SC430 does not have appear to a TPMS reset button under the dash. (I've looked, using a flashlight and see no evidence of one.) The Lexus dealership is willing to look at the problem (of course) but it's more than an hour away. I'm tempted to take it to the nearby Discount Tire store to ask them to address this... and I can't be sure the problem was the result of the battery having been disconnected. Thoughts?
Old 03-29-19, 02:56 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

First I’m surprised the service writer didn’t take care of this before returning the car to you. If the car sat there, battery disconnected you should have lost a lot of preprogrammed items, such as radio presets, seat memory presets.
The only way to “see” what’s going on is to connect up to techstream via the OBDII port and poll the TPMS sensors.
Old 03-29-19, 03:13 PM
NSG
Driver School Candidate

Thanks VVTiBob... You are correct. All memory data was lost (radio, seats, nav). I guess I will reluctantly take it back to the dealer for diagnosis, but it will need to wait a few weeks, as I'm about to travel out of state. Thanks again.
Old 03-29-19, 03:15 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by NSG
MARCH 29, 2019 - I picked-up the SC430 this morning. The airbag replacement apparently was completed successfully. Unfortunately, the technicians needed to disconnect the battery and in the wake of the repair, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System is now alerting to a non-existent low pressure condition. (Steady light only / not flashing / no beeping) I have checked the tires and they all are reading 33PSI, as they should. I wasn't sure whether the space-saver spare might also have a sensor, so I checked it as well. It's also at the correct pressure. (I've since determined that it does not have a sensor.) This 2003 SC430 does not have appear to a TPMS reset button under the dash. (I've looked, using a flashlight and see no evidence of one.) The Lexus dealership is willing to look at the problem (of course) but it's more than an hour away. I'm tempted to take it to the nearby Discount Tire store to ask them to address this... and I can't be sure the problem was the result of the battery having been disconnected. Thoughts?
Most likely, one of your sensor is out ( could be more than one) Like Bob said the only way you can know for sure is using Techstream .
Old 03-29-19, 03:37 PM
VVTiBob

I would definitely call them, talk with the service advisor and or service manager and let them know about the situation now, not several weeks from now.
Old 03-30-19, 12:40 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Most likely one of the TPS batteries has gone down but you won't know for sure until either you take it to the dealer, or a Toyota dealer or buy a Techstream ($25) and check it for yourself. Discount Tires does not have the proper equipment to read the sensor. While it is possible the TPS monitor could have dropped its programming, it is highly unlikely but you won't know for sure until you get it checked out. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 03-30-19, 01:20 PM
NSG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
Most likely one of the TPS batteries has gone down but you won't know for sure until either you take it to the dealer, or a Toyota dealer or buy a Techstream ($25) and check it for yourself. Discount Tires does not have the proper equipment to read the sensor. While it is possible the TPS monitor could have dropped its programming, it is highly unlikely but you won't know for sure until you get it checked out. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Thanks Harold57... I will take it to the Lexus dealer sometime in early April. It just seems strange that the TPS monitor would drop its programming or die of old age at the exact same time the dealer service folks disconnected the battery to repair the passenger airbag assembly. Anything is possible, of course! I'll let you know what I determine...
Old 03-30-19, 02:49 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by NSG
Thanks Harold57... I will take it to the Lexus dealer sometime in early April. It just seems strange that the TPS monitor would drop its programming or die of old age at the exact same time the dealer service folks disconnected the battery to repair the passenger airbag assembly. Anything is possible, of course! I'll let you know what I determine...
Disconnecting battery won’t kill your sensor. It’s just one of the moments in life, time For new sensors.
Mine just died, one last month and two more this week.

Last edited by GmanSC; 03-30-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 04:42 PM
VVTiBob

Who knows maybe while they were mucking around in there they pulled a fuse, accidentally disconnected a wire, forgot to reconnect something, could be a whole lot of reasons. But you are correct, timing of this failure is odd.
Old 03-30-19, 07:29 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

In agreement with Bob, it is very possible they pulled or blew a fuse. A fuse was blown in my car when they did the airbag recall. That blown fuse resulted in their keeping the car for another day and me in another loan car.
Old 03-31-19, 03:02 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...I dropped mine off on 02/21 & it's still not done, but I'm not complaining....lol.... They called me on the 28th , to inform me the part(s) hadn't come in. I told them that it was fine & I was enjoying the 2019 Rx350 loaner.
....well it's 3/31 & they still have my vehicle....lol...I was told that my Sc was one of the hand built SC's from Japan & that there is a part in the air bag assembly, thats different from the one's produced on the assembly line. Is this BS ???....I'm not sure, but I'm ok with the wait, because I know this is a NHTSA recall & it has to be done correctly. I'm in my 2nd 2019 Rx & have been enjoying it thoroughly....lol......it's making my decision on my next Lexus a little harder & all my other vehicles have gotten a good rest
Old 03-31-19, 03:13 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Oh my goodness Tex, that is crazy! OTOH, at least the miles are going on a car that you don't own. The newer electronics are nice but I was still relieved when I got to drive my SC again. Maybe they're having trouble locating certain parts.

So why did they have you change loan cars, were they concerned that it may get too many miles on it?
Old 03-31-19, 03:29 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Oh my goodness Tex, that is crazy! OTOH, at least the miles are going on a car that you don't own. The newer electronics are nice but I was still relieved when I got to drive my SC again. Maybe they're having trouble locating certain parts.

So why did they have you change loan cars, were they concerned that it may get too many miles on it?
The maintenance due light came on, indicating it was time for an oil change. I was told @ Sewell that I would have had to come in anyway, because their loaners are on 30 day contracts, so I would have had to go in & sign new documents. The slow down on my recall is 1 part that they can't locate in the assembly

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-31-19 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-31-19, 04:35 PM
VVTiBob

Did you see your SC when you acquired the new loaner? Maybe they misplaced it?

Quick Reply: SC Recall: Air Bags