SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC Recall: Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 10:41 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

My inflator recall was completed yesterday without incident. I was surprised twice yesterday. First, seeing four others SC430s at the dealer for the same work. Secondly, they called sooner then I expected as the recall notice mention six hours. While they did not explain how, my service associate said they’ve found an easier / faster method to do the work cutting the service time in half. Nevertheless, and as expected they did disconnect the battery as all “memory” setting needed to be redone.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-01-19 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-26-19, 11:35 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
My recall was completed yesterday without incident. I was surprised twice yesterday. First, seeing four others SC430s at the dealer for the same work. Secondly, they called sooner then I expected as the recall notice mention six hours. While they did not explain how, my service associate said they’ve found an easier / faster method to do the work cutting the service time in half. Nevertheless, and as expected they did disconnect the battery as all “memory” setting needed to be redone.
i was working on my HVAC actuator recently. To gain access, I removed the glovebox...when I looked up, I could see the passenger side airbag with room to work. I believe that is the approach they use.
Old 02-28-19, 10:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I just had my 2002 air bag recall done. They went up through the glove box, so the work was done with minimal impact.

When I went to pick it up, for some reason I attempted to open my radio door. (Usually I leave it closed and just operate it from my steering wheel controls.) Unfortunately, the radio door didn't budge. So I tracked someone down and informed them of the newly introduced problem. So they sent it back to the mechanic. This was at 4:45 so he was ready to bolt. I told them that it was likely the connector behind the console that somehow got knocked loose and expected them to check other obvious items. It was fairly apparent to me that the SC430 knowledge is starting to disappear there at the dealer just from their reactions and time required to debug a very simple issue, a scary thought.

So after an hour or so, they put me in another loan car and sent me on my way. After lunch the next day, they called me back to let me know that it had been fixed and that the fuse for the radio door and map lights had blown. So I made the 40 minute drive back there again and picked it up. Over all, they did a good job and didn't even lose my memory settings (seat, radio, etc.) but it did concern me that there might be other negative reactions that I haven't found yet. So far, all looks good. (I did need to reset my ECU as it seemed a bit sluggish when I picked it up. Ran fine after that.)

In the FWIW category, they did wash my car and fill it with gas. (The gas part was good since I was below a 1/4 tank by then.) I found out that at least at this dealership that they place a big note on the dash for the car runners (or whatever they are called) to fill it with gas before returning it to the owner. According to the service adviser, sometimes those notes get blown away by the wind and the car doesn't get filled up. So if you pick your car up and it hasn't been filled with gas after the recall work, be sure to bring it to their attention, most likely the note blew off.
The following users liked this post:
JDaveSC430 (02-28-19)
Old 02-28-19, 02:27 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

At $3.75 to $4 a gallon for premium gas in San Diego my Lexus dealer has never topped off my tank.
I made a cross country drive from Nashville to San Diego back in December and I was spoiled and amazed by gas prices in other states. Or maybe just shocked by the prices in San Diego.
Old 02-28-19, 02:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

At $3.75 to $4 a gallon for premium gas in San Diego my Lexus dealer has never topped off my tank.
I made a cross country drive from Nashville to San Diego back in December and I was spoiled and amazed by gas prices in other states. Or maybe just shocked by the prices in San Diego.
you guys have to pay the big bucks to enjoy the luxurious California.
Old 02-28-19, 02:57 PM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How can you be sure if the dealer filled up with premium gas?
Old 02-28-19, 05:43 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Up here in Orange County, Costco gas price is $3.10/gallon for premium .
Old 02-28-19, 07:35 PM
NSG
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Loaner for a Month!.

Originally Posted by NSG
My 2003 SC (62K miles) has an appointment tomorrow for the passenger airbag replacement. Lexus of Portland (OR) will do the work and they suggest leaving the car with them for the day. While it's there, I'll have a few other (preventative maintenance) things done. I'll be interested to see what model Lexus "loaner" they'll provide me...
Well, I took my SC to the Lexus dealer for the passenger airbag/inflator replacement on Tuesday, as scheduled. Few hours later, they called to say the car requires a complete replacement of the airbag unit - not just the inflator. As fate would have it, they do not have the part(s) - and will not have them until the end of March. Lexus will not allow the vehicle to be released, so I’m to keep the loaner (new GS sedan) for the month, with their compliments and apologies for any inconvenience. As much as I miss my SC, I will force myself to “make do” with the loaner.

Last edited by NSG; 03-22-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-28-19, 08:44 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by NSG

Well, I took my SC to the Lexus dealer for the passenger airbag/inflator replacement on Tuesday, as scheduled. Few hours later, they called to say the car requires a complete replacement of the airbag unit - not just the inflator. As fate would have it, they do not have the part(s) - and will not have them until the end of March. Lexus will not allow the vehicle to be released, so I’m to keep the loaner (new ES sedan) for the month, with their compliments and apologies for any inconvenience. As much as I miss my SC, I will force myself to “make do” with the loaner.
maybe time for you to take a cross-country trip.
Old 03-01-19, 09:00 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

I think I paid $2.08 for Shell Premium last week. It was $2.18 and then with my Shell Fuel rewards card I get .10 cents off. I think it is up at $2.30 now.

Dennis
Old 03-02-19, 10:28 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Wow, that is crazy expensive VVTiBob.

Originally Posted by NSG
Well, I took my SC to the Lexus dealer for the passenger airbag/inflator replacement on Tuesday, as scheduled. Few hours later, they called to say the car requires a complete replacement of the airbag unit - not just the inflator. As fate would have it, they do not have the part(s) - and will not have them until the end of March. Lexus will not allow the vehicle to be released, so I’m to keep the loaner (new ES sedan) for the month, with their compliments and apologies for any inconvenience. As much as I miss my SC, I will force myself to “make do” with the loaner.
Both of the loaners that they gave me were NX300 that come with turbos, according to the service adviser. They were very quick. But I noticed that while I was waiting the last time to pick up my car for real that I was watching all these new (& newer) cars drive up and drive away and when I saw mine drive up, I have to admit that it was the one that caught my eye, even still after 13 years. I enjoyed driving it more than the NX300 also. (Yes, I realize that it is not a fair comparison since the NX300 is a miniSUV but still, it was 17 years younger.)
Old 03-03-19, 03:35 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...I dropped mine off on 02/21 & it's still not done, but I'm not complaining....lol.... They called me on the 28th , to inform me the part(s) hadn't come in. I told them that it was fine & I was enjoying the 2019 Rx350 loaner.
Old 03-03-19, 03:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Wow, that's a long time tex!
Old 03-03-19, 03:57 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Wow, that's a long time tex!
.yea longer than I expected, but no big deal. If Lexus didn't provide a loaner, I would probably be raising hell...lol. The Sc isn't my daily & doesn't get driven but a couple of times a month, if that at all and since I've had the loaner, I haven't driven my other car at all. This 2019 Rx350 is really nice & it only had 1100 miles, when they gave it to me......
Old 03-04-19, 04:38 PM
RA032023
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly! Just had my new one installed. Loaner since my dealer is 100 miles away, All is perfect, get it done.

Quick Reply: SC Recall: Air Bags