SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Should I buy a 120k km sc430 or a 65k km Honda Accord v6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 10:43 AM
michaelsun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Buy both! That's the best option!
I wish I have that option. In a perfect world, I would buy a low km G37 and SC430 together, also a LFA lol.

Last edited by michaelsun; 10-19-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 10:46 AM
michaelsun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Basic questions you need to ask or if have answers, you can tell us and we can give you our 5 cents:

1. Is the car for work or pleasure or both?

2. Is it for year round use?

The maintenance requirements for the 2 cars are quite different, likewise cost of parts and service will differ.

Its for daily driving, so I assume the SC430 although more reliable, but would be much more expensive to maintain? Afterall its a luxury brand.

Last edited by michaelsun; 10-19-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 10:56 AM
michaelsun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70

funny you ask, I own both...I have an 8th gen, 2008 Accord EX-L V6...purchased at 70k miles and now has 96k miles. It’s a fine car but not a Lexus SC430, by a long shot!
So far, the alternator and leather seats failed. I also did the timing belt water pump etc maintenance.

as said before the Accord V6 has a ring issue...mine doesn’t have it.
8th Gen Accord, 2008-2012
2 door or 4 door
if the Accord is a four door, it’s an Auto and Honda transmissions like fresh fluid. They need a change every 20k Miles regardless of what you are told...if this is done, it will be trouble free.

I have long been a Honda Guy, but not anymore. This Accord will be my last Honda. My next car will be another Toyota...Honda went cheap on many things...like leather...paper thin and won’t last long.

here is a good Honda forum, but no where near as good as ClubLexus. The Honda website has good people but the forum foundation is archaic and clunky...ClubLexus stays on top of issues and is always upgrading the software!
https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/51-8th-generation/
Thank you for the tip. Yeah, the Honda brand isnt as reliable as Toyota. It came from the motocycle industry, so it tends to make their engine smaller? so more issues in a long run.
Old 10-19-18, 12:28 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The maintenance on a SC430 is not really all that high unless you have to do several high dollar items. Target SC430s that have already had the timing belt and water pump replaced (scheduled to occur every 90kmiles). The alternator isn't that expensive and is not a regular failure. I've owned my 16 year old, 130k mile SC430 for 12 years and only had to have the alternator replaced once and that was this year. Ihad the top serviced once. So other than those two items over 12 years, it has only been the regular maintenance items like tires, batteries, oil and filters. The tires may or may not be more expensive than the Accord. So from my standpoint, I'd say that you may not be paying more for maintenance for the SC430, maybe less. (The Honda is a foreign car also, so their parts prices may be only a bit less than the Lexus. However, I really don't have any hard data to back that up.)

I'd say that you can't go wrong if you choose a well maintained SC430. Other than that, go for the one that fits your lifestyle and the one that makes you happy when you step into the car. Even after 12 years, I still get a smile on my face when I get in. I'm definitely not looking forward to the day when I have to replace it, as there is no other car out there that I'd want to replace it with.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-19-18, 11:15 PM
michaelsun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
The maintenance on a SC430 is not really all that high unless you have to do several high dollar items. Target SC430s that have already had the timing belt and water pump replaced (scheduled to occur every 90kmiles). The alternator isn't that expensive and is not a regular failure. I've owned my 16 year old, 130k mile SC430 for 12 years and only had to have the alternator replaced once and that was this year. Ihad the top serviced once. So other than those two items over 12 years, it has only been the regular maintenance items like tires, batteries, oil and filters. The tires may or may not be more expensive than the Accord. So from my standpoint, I'd say that you may not be paying more for maintenance for the SC430, maybe less. (The Honda is a foreign car also, so their parts prices may be only a bit less than the Lexus. However, I really don't have any hard data to back that up.)

I'd say that you can't go wrong if you choose a well maintained SC430. Other than that, go for the one that fits your lifestyle and the one that makes you happy when you step into the car. Even after 12 years, I still get a smile on my face when I get in. I'm definitely not looking forward to the day when I have to replace it, as there is no other car out there that I'd want to replace it with.

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I saw a sc on this forum has reached 370k km which is quite crazy. I think everyone wants to have a car that can run forever just like we all hope our dogs can live forever. I think the sc might have the potential to reach 1 million miles lol.
Old 10-20-18, 06:20 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by michaelsun
Thank you for your detailed reply. I saw a sc on this forum has reached 370k km which is quite crazy. I think everyone wants to have a car that can run forever just like we all hope our dogs can live forever. I think the sc might have the potential to reach 1 million miles lol.
I think that you may be right. There was an article recently about an LS (400?) that was approaching 1 million miles. It needed some work but there was an effort to make it reach the milestone (pun not intended) without spending a bunch of maintenance on a car with that many miles. With as reliable as the SC430, as witnessed by this forum, I see no reason why several of these cars couldn't reach 1 million miles also. Then again, a lot of the owners baby these cars, so they aren't driven as much, making the million miles a little more difficult to reach. (Mine is my daily driver but I only have 130kmiles on it right now and it is a 2002.)
Old 10-20-18, 07:24 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Get the Honda. It'll be easier to sell a car that is 8years newer versus finding a special buyer for the SC430. Maintenance is reasonable. The extra space interior over the SC430 turns into a plus.
Old 10-20-18, 10:09 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm wondering why the accord, why not the Camry? Seems to be a lot easier to find Camry's with a great service history and very reasonable. Trying to find a Honda which has had the transmission serviced often is much harder. Let's face it, if the transmission fluid isn't changed like bgw said. Those Honda transmissions don't have a great track record.
Old 10-20-18, 10:17 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I'm wondering why the accord, why not the Camry? Seems to be a lot easier to find Camry's with a great service history and very reasonable. Trying to find a Honda which has had the transmission serviced often is much harder. Let's face it, if the transmission fluid isn't changed like bgw said. Those Honda transmissions don't have a great track record.
Agreed. The Camrys have been quite reliable. We have a 2002 that we bought new and it has been great. (I really can't vouch for the last 10 years of Camrys though, as I haven't kept up with them. but I'd be surprised if anything has changed in that department though.)
Old 10-20-18, 10:35 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Here is a link to the VCM issue with the 2008-2012 Accord V6’s...the 2011 Accord you are looking at should still be covered under the eight year extended warranty.
http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/...l-consumption/
Old 10-20-18, 11:30 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

You want a reliable car? Get a Corolla. My 07 Corolla Is driven, literally non-stop, on the average 8 hours a day, 5-6 days/week, 100 miles per day. The odometer today is 282541. No major problems, only wears and tears, still on original engine and trans.
This is the most reliable car I ever owned .
The only problem is, unlike the Camry or Accord, not too many used Corolla for sale.

Last edited by GmanSC; 10-20-18 at 11:55 AM.