SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Are you retired ? Thinking of retirement? At what age ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 04:57 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

Rick

It sounds like you are planning on staying in Nebraska? Love Nebraska was there a couple of weeks ago but what was that stuff on the ground Sunday? It was white and wet?

Dennis
Old 10-16-18, 05:13 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I first retired from work at age 57, my Wife 51. (Diner Owner Operators). My Son took over the business & wanted out after 7 years. I went back at age 64 along with my Wife 58 for 4 years. Sold the Building & business at age 68. I'm 72 now, have retired from work but not from life for the past 4 years. I play Golf, We still Rock N Roll, I show my 1960 Ford Thunderbird, & go for spins with me & my Wife's (LESLY 1) SC 430. She drives the car when She's on her own, but when we're together She prefers that I drive.

Chris.....From OZ.
Old 10-16-18, 06:07 PM
okievision
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

At 58, the company I've spent the past 20 years with is offering voluntary separation packages............nah, I'll make them suffer awhile longer!
But yes, I do think about it and I think I'll be really really good at it.
Old 10-16-18, 11:00 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Guys

Great stories and great to hear from so many SC friends.

By next March, I would have worked for 25 years in my current
company. My company sold a few years ago to a wealthy business man
and it is set again to be sold next Year to an institutional investor.

If my stars are aligned and my options hit, I might be able to call it a day
at age 54 by the end of next year. The rat race, the corporate politics
And the layoffs in my company has me really thinking about letting the
youngsters take it on.

Heres to all SC owners who will soon hang it up

Last edited by jonas's RX; 10-16-18 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 07:13 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

i don’t recall if I ever asked you what you did in the USAF? Sorry if I asked already...
i was a Comm guy on the E-4B NAOC at Offutt AFB from 1986-2000, then moved to Patrick AFB, Fl doing Test with the E-8C JSTARS until my first retirement in 2006...then like you, picked up the same job, except as a civilian contractor. My wife just completed 30yrs of service with the VA and will finish up in three more when she hits the MRA for the pension...

Hope we have a few few more days like today on Wall Street!
I've been a Logistics Manager for all 33 of my years serving the USAF. I oversee Offutt AFB's Supply operation currently-- I lead an organization of 65 military and civilian employees who provide all of the aircraft parts to the maintainers. We still support your old E-4B NAOC aircraft every day, doing our part to keep them flying and ready to complete their mission. I've loved every minute of my military/government service, but feel like it's time to "get out of the way" now so one of my younger supervisors can move up into my position. I won't really "retire," since my youth sports photography business continues to grow each year (I have the exclusive contract to do all youth sports photos for Papillion and La Vista), and I'll have a chance to dabble in my other "passion," Real Estate...

Sorry to take this thread off the beaten path! I do love my SC430, and really enjoy the shared experiences of our forum members! It's so nice to hear everyone's retirement stories and for me to realize how similar many of us are (mid- to late-50s, retiring soon or recently retired, loving life and our amazing SC430s).
Old 10-17-18, 07:18 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Rick

It sounds like you are planning on staying in Nebraska? Love Nebraska was there a couple of weeks ago but what was that stuff on the ground Sunday? It was white and wet?

Dennis
Yeah, that was pretty shocking! We got 4 inches of wet, heavy snow on Sunday, which took down some big tree limbs on my acreage. But today, it's sunny and 62 with light winds - Fall perfection!

I grew up in Nebraska and always thought I'd escape to a warmer climate when I became an adult. After moving around 6-7 times in the Air Force, including a year in the tropical paradise of Okinawa Japan, I realized how much I missed Nebraska's seasons and "salt-of-the-earth" people. I came back to Nebraska after military service and don't plan to live anywhere else (although I dearly love vacations to the Caribbean in February!). There's nothing that compares to that first warm day in April after months of cold, dreary, dark Nebraska winter.
Old 10-17-18, 09:14 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Yeah, that was pretty shocking! We got 4 inches of wet, heavy snow on Sunday, which took down some big tree limbs on my acreage. But today, it's sunny and 62 with light winds - Fall perfection!

I grew up in Nebraska and always thought I'd escape to a warmer climate when I became an adult. After moving around 6-7 times in the Air Force, including a year in the tropical paradise of Okinawa Japan, I realized how much I missed Nebraska's seasons and "salt-of-the-earth" people. I came back to Nebraska after military service and don't plan to live anywhere else (although I dearly love vacations to the Caribbean in February!). There's nothing that compares to that first warm day in April after months of cold, dreary, dark Nebraska winter.
you described it so well! The Nebraska people were simply the best I ever met. We still go back to visit old friends and my wife’s sister and husband who train race horses out in the Ashland area.
We plan to come back for a visit next spring or summer!

I too remember when Jim Flowers would announce that first sunny spring day and would go for a drive with the windows down!

I might have that LS460 by the time I retire in three years, then we can drive.
i just remembered, you posted a pic of your SC430 when you were at work and I recognized the Bennie L. Davis maintenance facility.

Good memories, Thank You!
Old 10-17-18, 09:28 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I opted not read this thread, but now that I did, what a surprise! I have been in the Automotive Industry since 1995, manufacturing components for cars and trucks, mainly interior cosmetic plastics. Been exposed the OEMs Toyota, Honda and Tier 1's and the automotive industry is not for the faint in heart. I have had my shares of butt chewing and have parted some of it on my suppliers. But if the stars align, you launch flawlessly and the Customer is happy, it is bliss. I still need to put in 4 years minimum, but if given good health, 7 years is the target. And the SC will always be with me. Now them new Lexus are really getting into me...who knows I might get my 4th one.
Old 10-17-18, 01:07 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Guys

Time flies Even if you have 4 or even 7 more years left . Before you
know it , you would have crossed the line and see the magic rainbow ahead of you.

Just keep up with a balance diet, exercise and don’t let the daily grind affect your health.

When you have time, take your SC out . See everyone on the board !
Old 10-17-18, 01:23 PM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For me, time seems to fly after 30.
I used to work 12 to 14 hours day, 6 days a week like it was nothing. Before that, I was in the military, and it was even worse. Now I'm just taking it easy working 4 days a week.
Old 10-17-18, 01:49 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

The nice thing about being retired is I got no place to be and I am not in a hurry to get there. Rick I know what you mean about the moves in the military. We lived in Ft. Knox Kentucky, SHAPE Belgium, Tehran Iran, Kabul Afghanistan, Algiers Algeria, St. Louis Missouri, SINOP Turkey and Woodbridge Virginia. The family was with me everywhere except SINOP Turkey.

Dennis
Old 10-17-18, 02:49 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I opted not read this thread, but now that I did, what a surprise! I have been in the Automotive Industry since 1995, manufacturing components for cars and trucks, mainly interior cosmetic plastics. Been exposed the OEMs Toyota, Honda and Tier 1's and the automotive industry is not for the faint in heart. I have had my shares of butt chewing and have parted some of it on my suppliers. But if the stars align, you launch flawlessly and the Customer is happy, it is bliss. I still need to put in 4 years minimum, but if given good health, 7 years is the target. And the SC will always be with me. Now them new Lexus are really getting into me...who knows I might get my 4th one.
I'm in the automotive trade as well (Tier 1 supplier). It sure can be rough, but look at the quality of the cars today compared to 30 years ago.
Old 10-18-18, 07:38 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Guys trust me on this

Assuming you have the financial means,
getting out of the rat race, not having to commute
for hours a day, getting up when you want to and not because you need
to, getting coffee with friends, fishing , golf etc ...
is quite nice ! The biggest hurdle for most of course
is the health coverage which is crazy expensive in the US.
Old 10-18-18, 08:27 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Guys trust me on this

Assuming you have the financial means,
getting out of the rat race, not having to commute
for hours a day, getting up when you want to and not because you need
to, getting coffee with friends, fishing , golf etc ...
is quite nice ! The biggest hurdle for most of course
is the health coverage which is crazy expensive in the US.
So true! Several of us are retired military, it seems (Dennis and others), and we are so fortunate to have amazing health insurance for life! I pay $560 a YEAR for my health insurance, with basically a zero deductible and full prescription drug coverage. When I joined the Air Force in 1987, I knew I'd be getting great health insurance, but there was no way to foresee just how crazy expensive health insurance would be! Lucky me!
Old 10-18-18, 09:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Thank you all for your military service. As I write this post, my son in law is headed to Savannah GA (US Army) preparing for his 2nd (or 1st) deployment to Afghanistan for a year (not sure I think he has done 2 Iraq tours). He is also an Atlanta Detective and he has been with the force for many years (the Army trumps the Local police). I hope and pray that he comes back home unharmed, so his 2 year old get to enjoy him and of course my daughter gets her husband back. Thank you for your sacrifices in order for us to enjoy life as it is today.

Quick Reply: Are you retired ? Thinking of retirement? At what age ?