SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

how to remove/reinstall ML amplifer

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-18, 03:55 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default how to remove/reinstall ML amplifer

I don't see anyone ever having put up a step by step on replacing the ML sc430 amp-I have a 2002 which sometimes BLARES at full vol., a known defect and TSB replacment is the fix from 2003 on!
There's nothing on Youtube either. My parts guy at LEX. Northboro says itss a bunch of panels and very easy once you get at amp to pull it. IS this so? What tools do I need and how to not break conenctors/clips etc? There was one seller who says you need to recalibrate nav and other fun stuff since this is "complicated sensitive equipment"...really?
Old 10-13-18, 06:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggeroff6
I don't see anyone ever having put up a step by step on replacing the ML sc430 amp-I have a 2002 which sometimes BLARES at full vol., a known defect and TSB replacment is the fix from 2003 on!
There's nothing on Youtube either. My parts guy at LEX. Northboro says itss a bunch of panels and very easy once you get at amp to pull it. IS this so? What tools do I need and how to not break conenctors/clips etc? There was one seller who says you need to recalibrate nav and other fun stuff since this is "complicated sensitive equipment"...really?
very easy, just pull all of those plastic clips in the middle of the trunk...take pictures for us and post them here...then you will be the first to do one...thanks!
Old 10-15-18, 10:24 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "Very easy"..?

Ok, if it's so easy, would you pls. send me the specialized toolls needed to remove the TOY/LEX various bolts, clips and snap ons which keep panels and amp in place? Please also find time machine back to 2002 to determine all #'s for putting proper replacement ML/Lexus replacement amp in without it blaring/dying, as well any calibration equipment or instructions needed for the integrated NAV/audio.
OH, you don't have time to send me obscure parts and service....just take pictures, as you obviously don't know a 2002 SC430 any better or any worse than an average Lexus dealer!
Old 10-15-18, 11:59 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Ok, if it's so easy, would you pls. send me the specialized toolls needed to remove the TOY/LEX various bolts, clips and snap ons which keep panels and amp in place? Please also find time machine back to 2002 to determine all #'s for putting proper replacement ML/Lexus replacement amp in without it blaring/dying, as well any calibration equipment or instructions needed for the integrated NAV/audio.
OH, you don't have time to send me obscure parts and service....just take pictures, as you obviously don't know a 2002 SC430 any better or any worse than an average Lexus dealer!
Wow, what a great way to get help. (NOT!) Especially when you say that to the guy who offers the most help on this board...
Old 10-15-18, 12:37 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

You are probably correct, a Lexus dealer knows these cars much better than anyone on this website. But if you go there, bring $$$$, we are free.
Have you tried the search feature?
i remember a detailed set of instructions to remove the trunk panels and the amp.
Using google, search, “SC430 amplifier” there are plenty on eBay with part numbers.
Old 10-15-18, 01:01 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

You are probably correct, a Lexus dealer knows these cars much better than anyone on this website. But if you go there, bring $$$$, we are free.
Have you tried the search feature?
i remember a detailed set of instructions to remove the trunk panels and the amp.
Using google, search, “SC430 amplifier” there are plenty on eBay with part numbers.

The truth of the matter . The sc430 is like a lego toy. The panels and parts are very intuitive to remove. Basic trim tool plastic available any auto parts store . Then just pry up the button like clips remove the spare tire well and each panel comes out starting with the bottom and moving onto the rear . There are a few bolts but the are obvious once you start to look at it. The amplifier is under the panel on the left side of the trunk from 2002 up to last year the panels all remove the same. Just have a little patients and be kind to the people trying to help you.
Old 10-15-18, 03:47 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Most of us here have one time or other removing the trunk garnish, and it take no time at all. The removal tool is available on Amazon or Ebay. You have to do your homework too, don’t expect others do it for you. If money is not matter then take your car to the dealer.
Old 10-19-18, 09:12 PM
Roho
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
The truth of the matter . The sc430 is like a lego toy. The panels and parts are very intuitive to remove. Basic trim tool plastic available any auto parts store . Then just pry up the button like clips remove the spare tire well and each panel comes out starting with the bottom and moving onto the rear . There are a few bolts but the are obvious once you start to look at it. The amplifier is under the panel on the left side of the trunk from 2002 up to last year the panels all remove the same. Just have a little patients and be kind to the people trying to help you.
Almost correct, the amp is in the RIGHT side/PASSENGER side.
I will be taking mine out to replace the tiny fan inside the amp, the one inside is making noise now and I've read in a thread that a replacement amp is about $500. The tiny fan is only $8.
wish me luck.