ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010-63/)
-   -   Almost lost my only master key (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/899409-almost-lost-my-only-master-key.html)

GmanSC 09-13-18 09:50 AM

Almost lost my only master key

When I bought my SC, she had only one keyfob (one of the two master key provided). Feared to lose it, I immediately bought the blank keyfob from Amazon and got it cut and programmed as a spare. Recently, I bought the valet key. I’ve been using the master key for daily driving.
Last night, I went to the key rack, my only master key wasn’t there. Searched around the house, all usual places, couldn’t find it. Traced my steps back, I remembered last time I used the key was when BGW asked about turning off the DRL, So, I searched the car throughoutly, almost wanted to tear her apart., could not find the keyfob Went back to the house, searched everywhere for good an hour, could not find the keyfob.
Now, I am panic. You guys must wonder why am I panic, caused I still have a spare key, I could easily buy another keyfob and get it programmed. Not so, Techstream will not let you program the keyfob without the master key. Trust me on this, I have tried. If next time I lose the duplicated keyfob, I’m doomed.
Long story short, I finally found the keyfob, after hours of searching. It was on the workbenche, amongst bunch of junkies. I must unconsciously put it there. Whew!!!
So, first thing I do is switch the master key with the duplicated key for daily driving. Next, I will buy another keyfob, the good key finder then clean up my workbench.
Lesson learned: don’t lose your only master key.
L

MH6878 09-13-18 11:43 AM

So the duplicate master key is not the same as the factory master key? Does the factory master have something extra in the chip?

GmanSC 09-13-18 12:36 PM

I don’t know, but when I tried to program the valet key, using the duplicated key, Techstream didn’t allow. It required to insert the master key.

DshngDaryl 09-13-18 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by MH6878 (Post 10305682)
So the duplicate master key is not the same as the factory master key? Does the factory master have something extra in the chip?

Each key has a separate ID chip in it. I am assuming they are all the same type. Maybe you have to designate one of the key IDs as the "MASTER"

GmanSC 09-13-18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl (Post 10305863)
Each key has a separate ID chip in it. I am assuming they are all the same type. Maybe you have to designate one of the key IDs as the "MASTER"

It might be true. Thanks Daryl.

wbmx1981 09-13-18 02:35 PM

Try this...Just passing through from the 2GS forum. It's worth a try.

GmanSC 09-13-18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by wbmx1981 (Post 10305905)
Try this...Just passing through from the 2GS forum. It's worth a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aKb96V8A44

I tried. Didn’t work for my 07. I even tried the close and open door method, didn’t work neither.
Programing the keyfob involved two steps
1. Program the keyless entry to open doors remotely.
2. Program the transponder to start your car.

Bgw70 09-13-18 05:27 PM

Guys, if you have a key with buttons, not valet key, it should be the master key.

when you purchased the car, it should have two master keys...

that is weird it causeed this problem for you because it really should not be that complex.

Did you happen to hit the limit of keys or master keys?

GmanSC 09-13-18 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bgw70 (Post 10306057)
Guys, if you have a key with buttons, not valet key, it should be the master key.

when you purchased the car, it should have two master keys...

that is weird it it causeed this problem for you because it really should not be that complex.

Did you happen to hit the limit of keys or master keys?

No BGW. I had only one master key. I made the spare with Techstream. When I programmed the valet key using the spare key, I couldn’t. I had to use the master key. So if I lost the master key, I can’t make another spare, and if I lost the only spare I got, i’m In troubled.
An idea just popped in my head. May be I can use Techstream to delete one of the master key, then designate the spare key to be the no.2 master key.
i’ll try that this weekend.

MH6878 09-13-18 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl (Post 10305863)

So I assume both master keys that come with the car are designated as the master keys then. Otherwise, if someone without Techstream buys a car with only 1 master key that is not designated as the master key, he will need service from the dealer because he cannot use the closing and opening door method to program a key.

mandyfig 09-14-18 04:15 AM

Or you can a Locksmith to make you one and they will program it. The dealer is not your last resort. Trick is to find one near you.

Bgw70 09-14-18 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by GmanSC (Post 10306115)

No BGW. I had only one master key. I made the spare with Techstream. When I programmed the valet key using the spare key, I couldn’t. I had to use the master key. So if I lost the master key, I can’t make another spare, and if I lost the only spare I got, i’m In troubled.
An idea just popped in my head. May be I can use Techstream to delete one of the master key, then designate the spare key to be the no.2 master key.
i’ll try that this weekend.

i need to play around with TechStream on the 2007 because on the 2002 I made additional master keys.

there is no selection or dialog that asks you if you want to make a master key.

we know for a fact the main differences between the master key and the valet key are physical. The valet key does not have the raised area on along the side of the key and the master key does. This raised area is required to open the glovebox and console. The other difference is obvious and that is the lock/unlock and trunk release buttons.

so now we’re down to the electronics.
there are two areas that must be programmed in the key, the security for the ignition and the buttons, if you have that type of key.

a valet key cannot program the buttons because it doesn’t have any buttons.

i know you said you couldn’t do it but a key with buttons should be a master key.
anyway...will let you know what happens.

GmanSC 09-14-18 06:42 AM

BGW, I think you misunderstood. What I am saying is when you program a key whether valet or keyfob , Techstream requires you to insert the Master key in the ignition. When I inserted the duplicated keyfob (three buttons), Techstream rejected.
There is a function in Techstream that allows you to delete or rename a key.
Bottom line, you must have a key that had been designed as the “master key” to program another key.

GmanSC 09-14-18 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by MH6878 (Post 10306270)
So I assume both master keys that come with the car are designated as the master keys then. Otherwise, if someone without Techstream buys a car with only 1 master key that is not designated as the master key, he will need service from the dealer because he cannot use the closing and opening door method to program a key.

You are absolutely correct.

Bgw70 09-14-18 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by GmanSC (Post 10306395)
BGW, I think you misunderstood. What I am saying is when you program a key whether valet or keyfob , Techstream requires you to insert the Master key in the ignition. When I inserted the duplicated keyfob (three buttons), Techstream rejected.
There is a function in Techstream that allows you to delete or rename a key.
Bottom line, you must have a key that had been designed as the “master key” to program another key.

So how do you make another master key?
i understand what you are saying but don’t understand why the second key with buttons would not become a master key for you. I think You can have several master keys, not just one.
like I said, on my 2002, I have more than one master key.

when I purchased the 2007 a few months ago, i received the car with one key. I connected TechStream and erased all the other keys.
i then programmed a second, uncut spare key with fob, to the car. Now I had two master keys.

i was lucky to find the original owner and she gave me the spare master key, valet key, key card etc.

the key card has no programming. The other key with fob and valet key would not work with the car anymore because I erased them.
I connected TechStream again and programmed them to the car.

now I believe I have three master keys with fob and one valet key.

like I said, I need to erase all of the keys, except one master key on my 2007.

then I need to program the second master key and use the second master key to program the third master key and valet key.

if can do this then I can tell you for sure that you can have more than one master key.

did I just make your head hurt, LoL