SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What don’t you like about your SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 11:06 AM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That stupid delay in the throttle response when you hit the gas!
Old 09-20-18, 11:40 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Agree. I have a Blitz throttle kit I have not installed yet. Can anyone give me feedback on how it worked out?

on our ls460 the low speed torque is more fun to drive and less throttle input is needed.

I understand the difference in the two engines but can the part throttle low response on the sc be helped a noticeable amount with the Blitz installation?
Old 09-20-18, 06:31 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sprcarrera
That stupid delay in the throttle response when you hit the gas!
Have you tried the settings under the transmission?
Old 09-21-18, 05:24 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
he has a six speed transmission and that setting only applies to the five speed.
Old 09-21-18, 10:01 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Agree. I have a Blitz throttle kit I have not installed yet. Can anyone give me feedback on how it worked out?

on our ls460 the low speed torque is more fun to drive and less throttle input is needed.

I understand the difference in the two engines but can the part throttle low response on the sc be helped a noticeable amount with the Blitz installation?
I have had the blitz throttle controller in use for 10 years at least. It basically has 3 settings Each setting decreases the pedal throw by 1/2 so in sport 1 the distance you have to press is 1/2 of what it was before and then I sport 2 its again 1/2 the distance of sport 1 and so on. If you say hold your gas pedal down to 1200 rpm and then turn on sport 1 the rpm will increase by at least 300 rpm ad sport 2 increases again. It just makes the pedal more sensitive which give you the illusion that the car is some how more responsive. You just have to be careful when you go in reverse if your backing up and the blitz throttle control is on and in any sport mode you have to remember a slight press on the pedal is going to be more sensitive ., I like it very much but the lag that every one claims they don't like is really still there its just the pedal being more sensitive you think your driving quicker
Old 09-29-19, 11:27 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prasha
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I came across this one while searching for a solution to a [minor] problem and wanted to chime in, but also ask about your comment. I have a 2002. Are you talking about putting the ECT switch in the "Power" mode? If so, I don't think that's ever helped with the delay I get when the car is starting from a standstill.

FWIW, my issues with the SC430 are:
1) Doesn't handle like a sports car. My previous car was a Mazda RX-8 (I think a 2007...I didn't own it for very long) and I *LOVED* the way that thing felt going around twisty roads. If anyone has any recommendations for ways to significantly improve this, let me know.
2) No manual transmission option.
3) Probably related to #1 and #2...on the rare occasions I see another SC430 on the road, the driver is too often a blue-haired woman.
Old 09-29-19, 11:37 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott R
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I came across this one while searching for a solution to a [minor] problem and wanted to chime in, but also ask about your comment. I have a 2002. Are you talking about putting the ECT switch in the "Power" mode? If so, I don't think that's ever helped with the delay I get when the car is starting from a standstill.

1) Doesn't handle like a sports car. My previous car was a Mazda RX-8 (I think a 2007...I didn't own it for very long) and I *LOVED* the way that thing felt going around twisty roads. If anyone has any recommendations for ways to significantly improve this, let me know.
3) Probably related to #1 and #2...on the rare occasions I see another SC430 on the road, the driver is too often a blue-haired woman.
I have not tried the settings under the transmission, I think it will make the difference.
To keep it simple I take off and pass a car in 4th gear, feels like driving stick shift
Old 09-30-19, 10:16 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott R

The 2002 transmission does allow you to manually choose gears 2 - 4. So you can do that for the delay. ECT does address some of the responsiveness problems also. (There's also a sequence you can run through to reset the ECU to clear up some of the responsiveness "learning" that the transmission goes through.) Then there is an adjustment on the transmission itself that will help also.

There are several threads on tuning the suspension to make it more sports like, but in the long run this is not a sports car, it is a sporty luxury car.
The following users liked this post:
VVTiBob (09-30-19)
Old 09-30-19, 12:38 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I think SC should mean sports cruiser. Don't forget the market Lexus was going after was pretty pretty much the older retired crowd with the SC.

My biggest complaint is also the suspension. Mine is a bit worn but I'm looking forward to coilovers when the time is right.
Old 09-30-19, 08:32 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 332 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I think SC should mean sports cruiser. Don't forget the market Lexus was going after was pretty pretty much the older retired crowd with the SC.
LOL. You think? I dont know any head bangers who could afford $70K+. As far as the suspension goes? The dang car weighs two tons. It weighs more than my LS400 if I remember correctly. Thats saying something. Not sure what!

Paul
Old 10-31-19, 03:26 PM
Drbrdb
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob

just installed the Hikeit throttle controller today. TRANSFORMED the car. No lag ..... honest
Old 10-31-19, 05:01 PM
leexed
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I wish that there was an attractive rear seat delete option comparable to a Mercedes SL I have seen different attempts to accomplish this, but nothing that looks correct. If you look at an older SL, it seems like nothing is complicated or hard to achieve, but it would take matching leather and carpet to look right.
I was tempted to give it a shot, but the metal rear head rest frames, made me chicken out!
Old 11-01-19, 05:44 AM
Enjoymycar
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about a light under the hood in the engine compartment? Am I the only one that doesn't have a light there?
Old 11-01-19, 06:29 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

We really could use a light under the hood when we have to hook up the battery charger because of the slow battery drain when we do not drive our cars enough.