SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What Octane Gasoline For sc430? Premium fuel required? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 07:01 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
This thread has taken a nasty turn. Rather unusual for this forum.

I think we can all agree, for the best performance, use premium. That's exactly what Lexus says.

I think we can also all agree that one tank of regular is not going to cause damage. It's not like filling it up with diesel where one tank will be a no go situation.

I think the OP's question is: "If I don't care about the best performance and I'm willing to give up the fastest 0-60 time, will any actual damage be caused by routinely using regular."

In this respect it's not a matter of "affording" the gas such that you should "rethink what you drive." It's not a matter of "$6 or 7 bucks making that much of a difference." The question is: am I just throwing that money away for nothing if I don't care about the best performance.
thanks for saying it Johnny...you are so right and I know we are usually pretty civil with each other.

I guess now would be a good time to say, this is the most helpful forum I have ever belonged too and would respectfully like to ask anyone who is new, not to be rude to each other. This forum is not like that, please don’t change the best.

with that said, I am not perfect and have bad days too, when I did, other members reminded me and I went back and deleted or rewrote my post.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bgw70:
DshngDaryl (07-19-18), Jabberwock (07-19-18), JohnnyCake (07-19-18)
Old 07-19-18, 09:50 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Cheers all. Not wanting to burn bridges, just get my panties wadded at times.
Old 07-19-18, 11:52 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
The only difference that I've seen is in performance. With 91, it is peppier and gets better gas mileage. But other than that, no issues.
I would agree with that. I used to have a Volvo C70 convertible and a 25 mile commute. I figured that burning 87 octane for twenty miles on Cruise Control wouldn't hurt anything.

It didn't, but I noticed I got 2 miles less per gallon and the car wasn't as quick off the line.

Back then 91 was only 10 cents more a gallon.

I did the math in my head. If I was getting 26 miles a gallon for $3.00 or 24 miles for 2.90 it was cheaper, per mile, for me to run Premium.

Full disclosure, that was like 15 years ago, so I don't remember the actual miles and gas prices. But I do remember the math worked out.

Old 07-19-18, 01:36 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I would agree with that. I used to have a Volvo C70 convertible and a 25 mile commute. I figured that burning 87 octane for twenty miles on Cruise Control wouldn't hurt anything.

It didn't, but I noticed I got 2 miles less per gallon and the car wasn't as quick off the line.

I did the math in my head. If I was getting 26 miles a gallon for $3.00 or 24 miles for 2.90 it was cheaper, per mile, for me to run Premium.

Full disclosure, that was like 15 years ago, so I don't remember the actual miles and gas prices. But I do remember the math worked out.
i remember those days when each octane level was only $0.10 more per gallon!
they sure are taking us to the cleaners these days.

also, don’t ya like the way, when oil goes up, the pump price goes up the same day but when it goes down, it takes days for the pump price to come down! LoL

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-19-18 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 04:55 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

also, don’t ya like the way, when oil goes up, the pump price goes up the same day but when it goes down, it takes days for the pump price to come down! LoL

The pump price goes down? Lol

Also, all the gas stations raise the price the same amount at the same time, but there's no collusion. That would be wrong.
Old 07-19-18, 06:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maarp
The pump price goes down? Lol

Also, all the gas stations raise the price the same amount at the same time, but there's no collusion. That would be wrong.
hahahahaha...ain’t that the truth!
Old 07-19-18, 07:50 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl

In most cases with a modern computer and sensor controlled high compression car engine, running regular in it will produce lower mpg due to engine not running at "ideal" settings (various alternative run time parameters used if the ECU detects any kind of pre-ignition from lower octane being run ). In some cases the mpg degradation will equal or exceed the cost differential between regular and premium so there is no cost savings in running lower octane.

To be clear the only difference between higher octane gas and regular octane is the higher octane gas has a higher pressure combustion point. The greater the compression, the higher the temperature within the combustion chamber. And the higher the temperature, the greater the thermal efficiency and power produced. There are no other differences. Premium does not have more energy, it is not cleaner, it does not burn better...there are no other differences besides a higher pressure/temp combustion for premium despite the years of marketing hype and BS most adults have been exposed to by gas retailers.

My individual experience having tested regular versus premium tanks of fuel over the course of multiple road trips (1-1.5 k trips) is that on the LS430 there is no change in mpg.. I assume there would be less power at some rpm range using regular if the ECU has set the timing slightly back to accommodate using regular, but I personally did not feel it (but I would be unlikely to feel a power loss as I drive like an old geezer 95% of the time). I assume the SC430 engine which is identical in most ways, would produce same or similar results. Most of my trips were on a very flat interstate cruising at pretty constant 70-75 mph with the engine is loafing along. Given the ECU is constantly monitoring engine sensors (MAF, temps, O2, etc.) and is making changes based on those readings, there actually may not be a change in mpg or power under easy driving conditions that do not stress the motor.

Running the same test on a more difficult roads, and/or at higher speeds, or higher ambient temps, or more aggressive driving style might produce much different results.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-19-18 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 06:47 AM
jimaleg
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mix regular & premium?

What if you 50-50 mix 87 octane regular with 93 premium will that produce an octane of 90?
Old 06-14-20, 06:52 AM
jimaleg
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mix regular & premium?

What if you 50-50 mix 87 octane regular with 93 premium will that produce an octane of 90?
Old 06-14-20, 07:04 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

There is also evidence that prolonged use of regular or 87 can lead to premature failure of the catalytic converter system. This is due a less than ideal combustion within the engine and fuel gets into the cats. The car will run on low octane but it is not designed / programed to use this fuel. By using 87 you are forcing the car to pull timing to avoid knocking. Best to use 91 and above and use a fuel system cleaner often. Marvel Mystey Oil (MMO) works great and is much cheaped than other products. One bottle will treat 4 - 5 tanks of fuel for $4. Also fantastic to help clean the carbon out of the engine. Add about 1/2 a bottle with your oil change. I use religiously in all my vehicles. Not some miracle product. Just does what it's supposed to. Cleans carbon and uses friction modifiers to help protect against cold start wear.
​​​​​
​​​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-14-20 at 07:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CCC-TT (06-15-20)
Old 06-14-20, 01:38 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
There is also evidence that prolonged use of regular or 87 can lead to premature failure of the catalytic converter system. This is due a less than ideal combustion within the engine and fuel gets into the cats. The car will run on low octane but it is not designed / programed to use this fuel. By using 87 you are forcing the car to pull timing to avoid knocking. Best to use 91 and above and use a fuel system cleaner often. Marvel Mystey Oil (MMO) works great and is much cheaped than other products. One bottle will treat 4 - 5 tanks of fuel for $4. Also fantastic to help clean the carbon out of the engine. Add about 1/2 a bottle with your oil change. I use religiously in all my vehicles. Not some miracle product. Just does what it's supposed to. Cleans carbon and uses friction modifiers to help protect against cold start wear.
​​​​​
​​​​
Please provide the sources of your evidence.
Old 06-15-20, 04:07 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Please provide the sources of your evidence.
I will give you a very easy example you can try yourself. If running 87 for a few tanks and you open her up, WOT, you will smell more of a rotten egg smell vs premium fuel. This is true to many cars that prefer premium fuel. That smell is fuel entering the exhaust system without being burned. This will eventually ruin catalytic converters.
Old 06-15-20, 04:23 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I will give you a very easy example you can try yourself. If running 87 for a few tanks and you open her up, WOT, you will smell more of a rotten egg smell vs premium fuel. This is true to many cars that prefer premium fuel. That smell is fuel entering the exhaust system without being burned. This will eventually ruin catalytic converters.
Absolutely ridiculous. Please provide the evidence you said you have. Not some anecdotal evidence that has no basis in science. I don't know where you would get this stuff.
Old 06-15-20, 07:53 AM
TitanG545
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Funny I just gave my 430 her first fill up Friday since owning her. I got her back from the detailer and stopped at BJ's and put in premium, I don't recall the number. Then put a few bucks in my 400 today on my way into work. I was running late but put 91 in, will fill up with 91 on my way home.
Old 06-15-20, 08:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Absolutely ridiculous. Please provide the evidence you said you have. Not some anecdotal evidence that has no basis in science. I don't know where you would get this stuff.
I have had multiple Lexus master techs speak to me about this be a potential cause. I had cats fail on a my LS400 prematurely and the previous owner ran 87 its whole life. Anyway, it's a theory and I can't personally prove it. But it does make sense that less than ideal combustion leads to more fuel not getting burned and hence degradation of the catalytic converter system. If you think it is ridiculous than more power to you. Keep running 87. If you don't understand how pulling timing works to prevent knocking and how this creates a less than ideal combustion within the cylinder than read up about it.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-15-20 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CCC-TT (06-15-20)

Quick Reply: What Octane Gasoline For sc430? Premium fuel required? (Merged threads)