SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Battery dead after 2 weeks in the garage ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-18, 12:34 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Battery dead after 2 weeks in the garage ?

Gang

Dang, I have a brand new battery that is less than
2 years old. Today after not driving the car for 2 weeks,
the batter was not strong enough to start the car.

Had to jump the car and drive the SC for 40 minutes.

Have you guys run across this issue?

Arggh ...
Old 05-08-18, 02:13 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

All the time. ... but I have the LexLink so it dies in a week if I dont drive it. So I put in on a battery tender.
Old 05-08-18, 02:37 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

Battery tender from Harbor Freight Is the answer.
Old 05-08-18, 03:25 PM
theazz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep We all have had this issue
Battery Tender did the trick.
Old 05-08-18, 07:05 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Sorry for asking but how does it work ?

do I just hook it up when it is sitting in the
Garage?
Old 05-08-18, 07:09 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

Yes, connect the Pos and Neg, then plug in wall socket. You’re doing the slow charging your battery.
Old 05-08-18, 09:00 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

It’s a trickle charger. If you drive the car daily it’s not an issue, but several days of inactivity will drain the battery. A trickle charge will keep the battery in good shape and takes care of the regular drain put on it.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-08-18 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 09:24 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

The previous owners of both our Lexus cars went through multiple batteries in ten years each.

Flooded cell VRLA batteries have a higher internal discharge rate than other battery types.

sourced AGM Bosch batteries for both of them from pep boys.

much lower self discharge.

Took the sc out for a drive yesterday that had not been started in more than two weeks. Started right up.

obviously some draws as the remote was enabled.

have not noticed any draw or increased draws with my third generation luxlink installed?

on my LS the factory replacement Lexus battery was a mid 2016 dated 84 month flooded cell normal lead acid VRLA 585 CCA rated unit. Car turned over slightly slow to me. Battery tested 565.

replaced with a 710 CCA Johnson controls(Bosch Premium west coast) AGM battery for less self dischaging and to start with 20% higher power.

luxlink opened the car and dropped the top after the 2-3 weeks layover without much effort.

If if it was down it was not very noticeable and I was observing the apparent power available.

Engine crank seemed roughly normal. Maybe a tad slower but still more than fresh non AGM did.

with a internet 25% coupon discount was $175 no core.

i kept the perfect stock Lexus battery versus trade in a near new battery for a $15 core charge.

my fix
Old 05-08-18, 10:06 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Any SC owners out there have some pictures
or video on how to install or have one
installed trickle charger in their SC ?

I better get one installed in my SC
Old 05-09-18, 06:06 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Any SC owners out there have some pictures
or video on how to install or have one
installed trickle charger in their SC ?

I better get one installed in my SC
Battery tender JR comes with a two wire harness with a inline fuse you just screw the red wire under the battery post on the positive side of the battery and then put the black wire [ ground negative ] under the negative post. The other end of the harness has a connector that will plug into the wire connector coming from the charger. This way you can just plug in the tender when you put car away. You also can get battery alligator clip harness and just attach them temp to the posts. I use the harness that I permanently have attached to the battery and lay it inside the engine compartment and when I want to hook up I just plug in charger and done. If you get creative you could mount the battery tender inside the engine compartment and then just plug the charger into AC socket
Old 05-09-18, 06:21 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Can you guys take a picture of your set up? I think the original owner already has two wires from a he battery tender setup hooked up on the battery connectors previously. Should I get the “ battery tender plus ?” I am in CA and I see the description states you cannot buy a Plus in CA. Anyone out there know why ? Thanks everyone . I just want to make sure I am getting the right unit and setup
Old 05-09-18, 06:23 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Here is a picture of the wire hooked up by the previous owner . I guess the previous owner knew About the battery drain issue as my SC was also A garage Queen
Old 05-09-18, 06:29 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I use the battery plus and am very happy with the extra power. I use the JR models on my motorcycles. I plug them all in year round when so keep battery at peak with out cooking it, I cant understand why CA does not allow it but I cant understand a lot about CA

The difference in charging Power I think is .75 on JR vs 1.25 on Plus model. Either way the plus model is a heavier duty unit

Can you guys take a picture of your set up? I think the original owner already has two wires from a he battery tender setup hooked up on the battery connectors previously. Should I get the “ battery tender plus ?” I am in CA and I see the description states you cannot buy a Plus in CA. Anyone out there know why ? Thanks everyone . I just want to make sure I am getting the right unit and setup
Old 05-09-18, 06:33 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Here is a picture of the wire hooked up by the previous owner . I guess the previous owner knew About the battery drain issue as my SC was also A garage Queen
That is the correct charging cable and if you look closely you can see the inline water proof fuse holder. Just check the fuse to be sure its good and also make sure its there.
Old 05-09-18, 06:36 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
That is the correct charging cable and if you look closely you can see the inline water proof fuse holder. Just check the fuse to be sure its good and also make sure its there.
FYI The negative battery terminal cover your SC 430 shows is usually Black in color [ NOT RED ] so as not to confuse that it could be a positive terminal. The terminal with the red hooded rubber cover to the right is the POSITIVE terminal.

Quick Reply: Battery dead after 2 weeks in the garage ?