SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Problem, slow acceleration, high fuel consumption!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 04:15 AM
Goldwinger
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Two thoughts come to mind for me. One, is one of the brakes dragging. Two, is the computer staying in open loop, because the coolant temperature sensor isn't working correctly. That makes more sense to me after everything that has been checked already. If the O2's were responding so slowly as to loose six or more Mpg's it would have thrown a code for slow response. I've had pending code for slow response, and was only getting about a 1 mpg loss.
The concern with the o2 I was talking about is corrupt data. If the o2 is sending incorrect data the fuel mileage will be off. If the o2 is working but weak yes it will set a slow response code, but if its bias in one direction it will not set a code. A much-overlooked concern on this system as these are really Air Fuel ratio sensors and work a little different than a typical o2 sensor.
A normal test is to richen the system up and see if the sensors respond correctly. By adding a controlled amount of additional fuel ( like propane) and looking at the data one can tell if the sensor is detecting correctly. The question is are they transmitting the true data? Are they bias in one direction or the other is the point I was trying to make.

Old 07-13-18, 04:43 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
If the brakes are dragging, you should feel excessive heat coming through the wheels from your brakes after driving. You'll normally feel some anyway but it would be above normal.
Plus tons of soot on the wheels themselves.
Old 08-12-18, 07:35 AM
killerok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May be fuel filter? May be catalyst?
Old 08-12-18, 07:38 AM
killerok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Goldwinger
The concern with the o2 I was talking about is corrupt data. If the o2 is sending incorrect data the fuel mileage will be off. If the o2 is working but weak yes it will set a slow response code, but if its bias in one direction it will not set a code. A much-overlooked concern on this system as these are really Air Fuel ratio sensors and work a little different than a typical o2 sensor.
A normal test is to richen the system up and see if the sensors respond correctly. By adding a controlled amount of additional fuel ( like propane) and looking at the data one can tell if the sensor is detecting correctly. The question is are they transmitting the true data? Are they bias in one direction or the other is the point I was trying to make.
Can you said me code number of this O2 sensors?
Old 08-12-18, 03:45 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl

Or buy one of these scanners from China off ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Scanner...YAAOSwBgVa4ZK-
^^ Is this scanner compatible with a 2002 model? I've wanted to buy one but am not sure which ones are compatible. I had messaged another ebay seller and their auction descriptions sent me to three different ones that were supposedly compatible. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-18, 10:29 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mak99
^^ Is this scanner compatible with a 2002 model?
These generic scanners are quick and easy to use. BUT they only read generic codes, not Lexus/Toyota specific codes. I would spend a little more (maybe as little as $10) and get something Lexus/Toyota specific. Here is a post about what other people have done: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...solutions.html

Old 08-13-18, 11:55 AM
killerok
Driver School Candidate

i have a scanner. No error codes on deep scan.
Old 08-13-18, 06:53 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
These generic scanners are quick and easy to use. BUT they only read generic codes, not Lexus/Toyota specific codes. I would spend a little more (maybe as little as $10) and get something Lexus/Toyota specific. Here is a post about what other people have done: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...solutions.html
Thanks, but still a bit confused. For a 2002 should I buy the v2.0.4 per iolmaster (link), or v1.4.1 per bgw70 (link)? I have no problem spending $70 on the v2.0.4 on
Amazon Amazon
but want to make sure I do get the right one. I assume this also lets me change the personalized settings? When I shut off my SC the passenger door stays locked which drives me crazy...

Apologies for temporarily taking the thread OT...