SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Battery dead after 2 weeks in the garage ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 07:37 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I just ordered a battery tender plus from amazon for $45 shipped, will arrive friday.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-17-18 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 07:05 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Since I switched to LED lights interior and exterior, I rarely have a dead battery. As far as I can remember, I left the car for nearly 21 days and it had trouble starting up about two years ago. I keep a small Jump N Go pocket pack in the car that got it started at that time. Always good to have and fits in pouch behind the driver side seat. Since that time, I added a negative battery terminal "cut off" switch (similar to link below). If I know I'm leaving for over two weeks, I just pull the ****. Yes, I lose radio presets, but I have them written down on the "Emergency Top Procedure" printout that I keep in the center console for that worse case scenario. Few minutes to set them again, and I'm on the road.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Batter...0AAOSwq39ZqapC
Old 05-16-18, 07:31 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Since I switched to LED lights interior and exterior, I rarely have a dead battery. As far as I can remember, I left the car for nearly 21 days and it had trouble starting up about two years ago. I keep a small Jump N Go pocket pack in the car that got it started at that time. Always good to have and fits in pouch behind the driver side seat. Since that time, I added a negative battery terminal "cut off" switch (similar to link below). If I know I'm leaving for over two weeks, I just pull the ****. Yes, I lose radio presets, but I have them written down on the "Emergency Top Procedure" printout that I keep in the center console for that worse case scenario. Few minutes to set them again, and I'm on the road.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Batter...0AAOSwq39ZqapC
Don't you lose your seat memory and have to re-set the seat limits back and forward and tilt as well
Old 05-16-18, 07:36 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
Don't you lose your seat memory and have to re-set the seat limits back and forward and tilt as well
You are correct about the tilt, but as I'm the only driver the seat remains in the same position so I just press the memory button. But all said and done, those things take me about 3 minutes to complete.
Old 05-16-18, 08:41 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=ShawnOk;10200417]Since I switched to LED lights interior and exterior, I rarely have a dead battery. As far as I can remember, I left the car for nearly 21 days and it had trouble starting up about two years ago. I keep a small Jump N Go pocket pack in the car that got it started at that time. Always good to have and fits in pouch behind the driver side seat. Since that time, I added a negative battery terminal "cut off" switch (similar to link below). If I know I'm leaving for over two weeks, I just pull the ****. Yes, I lose radio presets, but I have them written down on the "Emergency Top Procedure" printout that I keep in the center console for that worse case scenario. Few minutes to set them again, and I'm on the road.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Batter...0AAOSwq39ZqapC[/QUOT]

Is the emergent top procedure in the owners manual? I may want to get a copy and stow it like you JIC
Old 05-16-18, 09:00 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Hyper15125;10200494]

Is the emergent top procedure in the owners manual? I may want to get a copy and stow it like you JIC
I actually got it from this forum and printed it. can't recall where but maybe someone will chime in here.
Old 05-17-18, 04:12 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

[QUOTE=Hyper15125;10200494]

Yes, it’s in the owners manual. If you don’t have one, just go to This link to view and/or order one for free.
https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...nuals-warranty
Old 06-13-18, 11:05 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Hey guys

Just came back from a different Lexus dealer ( not local from me) to get a tint in the windows

The car sat for 3 days without a battery tender and after 3 days, it
had to be jumped by the dealer

I just had my local Lexus dealer checked the alternator and the batter
( Lexus battery that is only 1 yr and 9 months old) about 1 month ago
and they reported the Alternator load test was at 93Amp(ok)
and battery was within specs

Bringing the car back to Lexus to see if I can get a battery
Free replacement as the battery is under warranty for 1st
2 years
Old 06-13-18, 11:14 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Hey guys

Just came back from a different Lexus dealer ( not local from me) to get a tint in the windows

The car sat for 3 days without a battery tender and after 3 days, it
had to be jumped by the dealer

I just had my local Lexus dealer checked the alternator and the batter
( Lexus battery that is only 1 yr and 9 months old) about 1 month ago
and they reported the Alternator load test was at 93Amp(ok)
and battery was within specs

Bringing the car back to Lexus to see if I can get a battery
Free replacement as the battery is under warranty for 1st
2 years
When your car was in for tinting I am sure the doors were open and perhaps the trunk when they did the back window those lights could pull a battery down and then sitting for 3 days not on a tender could be why you needed a jump. Check to be sure cables are tight on terminals
Old 06-13-18, 11:53 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Good point

I did notice the light switch was moved to the Off
position but no way has the car not start within
3 days.

heading to my local Lexus dealer to see if I can get
a free battery replacement as it is still within 2 years
Of Free replacement
Old 06-13-18, 09:45 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Switched battery types to a AGM Bosch through pep boys.

1/2 or less self discharge. 20% higher amp hours rated.

But the the amount of electronics seem to be a fair background draw.

i took out a 90% Lexus dealer battery to change to the AGM style..

plus i I added a battery tender plus and put the cabling in the wiper well area.

each time a lead acid drops in power the number of cycles is reduced by quite a bit.

if dead replace. Prevent voltage drop. Solar?
Old 06-13-18, 10:31 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Two year old battery is considered weak for the SC. Good idea always keep it on the tender. Good luck with the battery replacement at the dealer.
Old 06-13-18, 11:03 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

This is crazy. A 2 yrs old Lexus factory battery is considered “weak “ after 2 years of use. This is a brand new Lexus battery I got from the dealer

Granted I now only drive about 1,200 miles a year

I know I need the SC out more often but a 2 year old battery
should not go bad so fast on any car.
Old 06-13-18, 11:44 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Jonas, I noticed you have had a battery problem from the beginning of this post. I used to have the same problem with the battery only little over two years old. I ended up to buy a brand new Interstate battery from Costco then the problem gone away (the first brand new Interstate battery was defect, did not hold charge, brought it back, got another one). Now I keep the tender on when park in garage.
Sadly, but this is one problem that the SC has, draining the battery. You have been in the forum long enough to know this problem has popping up from time to time.

Last edited by GmanSC; 06-13-18 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 01:02 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Just came back from the Lexus dealer and
both Battery, Alternator and starter are all within
specs . They even did a parasitic draw test and
that was all within specs.( wow had 3 Lexus Tec look
at my car)

arggh . First time I went to a dealer and they dont
even want my money

I think my recent battery drain could be due to a door
being left opened during my tint at the Lexus deaker

Happy Motoring..

Last edited by jonas's RX; 06-15-18 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery dead after 2 weeks in the garage ?