SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Oil Filter Change - Splash Guard/Shield Removal or Not

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 07:53 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Oil Filter Change - Splash Guard/Shield Removal or Not

When I replaced my radiator not that long ago I noticed my splash guard/shield was in poor condition and replaced it. Before replacement my former mechanic would remove just enough screws/bolts and bend back the portion of the old splash guard/shield that covered the oil filter and then removed and replaced it. I'm simply curious as whether members of this forum, Lexus dealerships and/or mechanics take the short cut like my former mechanic did to replace the oil filter or actually remove the entire splash guard/shield when changing the oil and oil filter. TIA
Old 04-18-18, 09:37 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
When I replaced my radiator not that long ago I noticed my splash guard/shield was in poor condition and replaced it. Before replacement my former mechanic would remove just enough screws/bolts and bend back the portion of the old splash guard/shield that covered the oil filter and then removed and replaced it. I'm simply curious as whether members of this forum, Lexus dealerships and/or mechanics take the short cut like my former mechanic did to replace the oil filter or actually remove the entire splash guard/shield when changing the oil and oil filter. TIA
i just remove the three bolts and bend it back. It’s designed that way...it may wear it out faster.
There are about 15 bolts to remove the entire shield, I think.
Old 04-18-18, 10:27 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
i just remove the three bolts and bend it back. It’s designed that way...it may wear it out faster.
There are about 15 bolts to remove the entire shield, I think.
Thanks for the response and I do believe what you are doing is the "norm" or more common way that members and/or mechanics change the oil filter. I also agree the guard "may" wear out faster. I simply wanted to keep my guard in good condition but I'm sure it will be bent on the next oil/filter change unless I change the oil and filter myself and take a little more time to do it.
Old 04-18-18, 07:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I remove the three bolts from that portion under the filter and bend the flap (that was designed to be bent) out of the way to get to the oil filter. If changing oil every 5k miles at 250k miles the flap would be bent down and out of the way apprx 50 times. My guess is that the splash guard flap would easily bend down to access the oil filter at least 100 times with very little wear on the hinge point of the flap.

Having said that there is nothing wrong with taking 5 minutes extra to pull the splash guard off to access oil filter. Access might be a little easier with the splash guard removed and it would allow a visual inspection of more of the front underside of the engine and accessories. I may do that next time I change the oil just for a change of pace (being retired I am rarely rushed these days).

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-18-18 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-19-18, 01:15 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

When I work on my engine, removing the entire shield is usually the most annoying part of the process. It's big and bulky and there are so many fasteners.

Also, I am usually excited about tackling the repair, but removing the shield does the opposite; so I guess it "un-motivates" me?