SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bumper repair/replacement

Old 04-10-18, 09:08 PM
malema
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bumper repair/replacement

Hi all,

Hello, you have been so helpful in my previous questions, figured give it another shot.

So a few years ago i got in a fender bender and the front bumper had to be replaced. I cheaped out and got a cheap aftermarket bumper. after about a year the top of the bumper by the tire, where it fits in the fender slot, started cracking and ripping, it looks very ugly. Ive thought about gluing and reinforcing it from the inside with some fiber glass but not sure if its possible as 1) its load bearing and 2)cant get thicker as it has to fit in the fender slot. A "professional" told me, it can be done from the outside but will likely fall apart since its load bearing.

Anyone has any experience with repairing this area? Or do you know a good quality aftermarket bumper brand? Im not trying to spend $500+ at the dealer and junkyards have not been working out so far.

Thanks in advance
oh its a 03 btw
Old 04-10-18, 10:15 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....could you possibly post a pic, this would help with some suggestions
Old 04-11-18, 10:34 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I will have my OEM Front, Rear, and side skirts for sale soon (summer) as I have a body kit I want to install. Just a thought. :-)
Old 04-13-18, 05:16 PM
malema
Rookie

oh yea here is some pics!
Old 04-13-18, 05:18 PM
malema
Rookie

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I will have my OEM Front, Rear, and side skirts for sale soon (summer) as I have a body kit I want to install. Just a thought. :-)

Hi, Im interested! where are you located?/how is the condition?
Old 04-16-18, 10:17 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

I would take it for a second opinion. I think a good bodyman could be able to put a couple of rivets into your current bumper and have it work. it would be cheaper than replacing the whole cover.

The could also probably use the inner fender well as an additional support to hold it into place
Old 04-18-18, 03:09 PM
malema
Rookie

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I would take it for a second opinion. I think a good bodyman could be able to put a couple of rivets into your current bumper and have it work. it would be cheaper than replacing the whole cover.

The could also probably use the inner fender well as an additional support to hold it into place
Hi

What do you mean rivets? wouldnt that show on the outside of the bumper? we've been trying to bend a sheet of metal to a hinge and glue it with waterproof epoxy but theres lots of 3D bends in the bumper so it creates creases in the sheet when trying to bend. Any suggestion could be tried
Old 04-18-18, 06:35 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

I have never taken apart my bumper, but I assume there is a way the bumper cover attaches to the fender. Most likely with bolts, but possibly with plastic clips.

If my assumption is right, the bumper cover and the fender must have flat edges that meet each other. That is where I would see if they could put the rivets, or reinforce the bumper cover with a piece of metal to spread out the weight load.
Old 04-18-18, 09:28 PM
malema
Rookie

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I have never taken apart my bumper, but I assume there is a way the bumper cover attaches to the fender. Most likely with bolts, but possibly with plastic clips.

If my assumption is right, the bumper cover and the fender must have flat edges that meet each other. That is where I would see if they could put the rivets, or reinforce the bumper cover with a piece of metal to spread out the weight load.
right above where its ripped, the bumper kinda slides into a thin opening by the headlight and fender, and thats how the whole of the back portion of the bumper hangs from. that top horizontal part is only about 6mm or so...crazy design. Im exactly trying to do what you said except use glue instead of rivet. was gonna glue some metal at the hinge/90 degree bend (where the sliding part meets the bumper/where its ripped) but like I said creases caused by bends in different directions are making it impossible. The bumper is open and we're constantly thinking about it, Ill update if something happens. Meanwhile if anyone has any specific ideas please feel free to mention. As said, im up to almost try anything