SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Opinions on potential Pebble Beach purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 06:34 PM
Garyc170
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions on potential Pebble Beach purchase?

Hello from a future SC owner. I am currently in the market for an SC and have found one that I like (more importantly, my wife likes) and I would like feedback on what this community thinks. It is a 2008 Pebble Beach edition in the smokey grey color with only 39K miles. It has a few issues: The car has sat for about two years (garaged) due to the original owners' contested divorce. It is being sold by her son. There are very few maintenance records. I checked with the local Lexus dealer who sold the car and it was only serviced there once at 16K miles. I am not able to talk to the actual owner to find out where he/she did have it serviced. It has not been in an accident but it does have a dent above the rear window on the passenger side. The seller stated that the owner had put the top down with a briefcase in the trunk which resulted in the dent which is the size of dollar bill. Paint is in good shape with a few very minor scratches here and there. Seller has only one key. And the antenna does not go all the way down - sticks up about 6"-8". Also, it passed state emissions test back in Dec.2015 according to CarFax and the mileage then was 36K. He has the car listed for $25K but says he'll take $22K. I have to admit that the lack of maintenance records and the fact the car has sat for two years with the occasional engine start concerns me. I have not driven it because there is no insurance on it. Considering all these factors do you think that this is a decent deal? I am prepared to wait for the right one but I'm not sure about my wife! Thanks for any and all opinions.
Old 02-13-18, 06:51 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

We own the same model. Only 362 made. Only two tone leather interior. Buy the car. $8k under market value.

Michelin pilot super sport Tires, sway bar, shock tower brace, pioneer radio head swap, beatsonic box for additional inputs, different headlight bulbs,
The following users liked this post:
Garyc170 (02-14-18)
Old 02-13-18, 06:59 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Pebble Beach models are very desirable due to the limited production (360) this model year. This is especially true if you or your wife likes the color. It’s a lower mileage car, 10 years old at IMO is at a fair price. However, the roof dent is concerning because it’s an aluminum panel so whoever repairs it needs to know what they’re doing. ESPECIALLY with the sliding roof.
A sale could be contingent on a multipoint inspection by the local Lexus dealer with a price change based on what they find or not find. Lexus may even recommend a body shop. The antenna is an easy fix, there is a TSB here on how to DIY. If you have the VIN you can go onto http://drivers.lexus.com/ to get dealers service history, maybe more if the owner added self maintenance. It may have been serviced at another dealer..
Tires, especially RUN FLATS sitting for two years doesn’t thrill me either.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-13-18 at 08:27 PM.
Garyc170 (02-14-18)
Old 02-13-18, 07:14 PM
VVTiBob

Btw where is this car? If you don’t want it I may be interested.
Old 02-13-18, 08:48 PM
Steelsnow
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would recommend checking with a paintless dent shop of the roof dent - their estimate software should be able to give you a price range and perhaps some details on if it is doable, and how difficult. The other items are just budgeting to check and replace as needed, such as water pump, timing belt, tires if flat spotted, etc. Would be interested in well depending on where if it doesn't work out for you or VVTiBob, which I think would indicate it is a decent deal with the extra work included.
Garyc170 (02-14-18)
Old 02-14-18, 05:00 AM
VVTiBob

Key replacements: if the current owner only has one key you’ll definitely NEED to get another one. If the last one is lost it means getting not only a new keys but a new ECU too. Might also consider getting three keys, one emergency wallet key, one regular key and one valet key. Minimum cost about; $150 to replace one missing regular key + programming.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-14-18 at 05:04 AM.
Garyc170 (02-14-18)
Old 02-14-18, 08:25 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

I would get this car fast. With that price it won’t last long. Welcome to the club.
Garyc170 (02-14-18)
Old 02-14-18, 09:22 AM
JTho
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Love that PB color combo! I wouldn't buy anything w/o first having a mechanic (either Lexus or if you have a trusted independent) put it on a hoist and inspect it, including driving it.
I found out a few things w/ my 09 PB purchase that I would have never found out otherwise, and negotiated the price down from there to allow for addressing these things. Get it inspected. You wont regret it and w/ feel much better about buying it.
The roof dent concerns me most.
Garyc170 (02-14-18)
Old 02-14-18, 10:20 AM
Garyc170
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

After listening to all the good advice and sleeping on it I have confirmed with the seller that I will buy the car conditional on a PPI at the Lexus dealer. I very much appreciate the input from this community and once I get it registered and insured will post some pics. My wife is thrilled which is always a good thing! Thanks again.
Old 02-14-18, 10:31 AM
VVTiBob

Darn, I found the car in Gilbert, AZ. Well congrats, but if you decide to pass after inspection let us know. She’s a beauty.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-14-18 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 02-14-18, 10:33 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

If you're lucky, you might be able to fix the antenna by just lubing it. Mine was doing the same thing when it was really cold outside and after spraying some silicon lube on it and wiping it up and down the radial, it started traveling the full distance again, even with the temperature in the teens. Good luck. Take pictures and post them here if and after you take delivery.
Old 02-14-18, 12:14 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Garyc170
After listening to all the good advice and sleeping on it I have confirmed with the seller that I will buy the car conditional on a PPI at the Lexus dealer. I very much appreciate the input from this community and once I get it registered and insured will post some pics. My wife is thrilled which is always a good thing! Thanks again.
nice car! Welcome to Club Lexus and the world of the SC430!!!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=196467382
Old 02-14-18, 12:16 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

If you run a carfax, you can sometimes find a list of repairs. It depends if they were done at an independent shop or a national chain,
Old 02-14-18, 12:50 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
If you run a carfax, you can sometimes find a list of repairs. It depends if they were done at an independent shop or a national chain,
what the op stated is all that shows up on the carfax.
Old 02-14-18, 02:44 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Garyc170
I have not driven it because there is no insurance on it.
Welcome fellow Arizonian! Congratulations on deciding to get the car. If you want, you can go to ServiceAz.com and get the car a 3 day permit for $1. This registers the car for 3 days so you can take it to the DMV/Emissions/PPI. Your car insurance should cover you driving the car for it's test drive. The SC tends to lose battery power if it hasn't been driven for a couple of weeks. This means the cars computer won't have any codes stored in it when you take it to the dealer. I would drive it around a little before you take it in. This will give it a chance to log any error codes the car might have.

Once you get it, you can fix the antenna and the lack of a key for less than $50.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FREE-CUT-...1ZL8Nr&vxp=mtr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-SC430...5TWpL6&vxp=mtr

I purchased my key from this company and a mast from ebay. Both worked as promised with very little work on my part.
Garyc170 (02-14-18)

Quick Reply: Opinions on potential Pebble Beach purchase?