SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Soon To Be Owner | Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 06:31 PM
drobbins
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soon To Be Owner | Some Questions

Hi all. I am about to inherit my mother in-law's 2003 SC430. I've loved driving it on vacation for years and am really excited to be taking ownership in the next few months. It has spent most of it's life in Florida, has about 38,500 miles on it and is completely stock.

I know it needs a bit of work right out of the gate:
  • front and rear brakes
  • motor mounts
  • transmission mounts
I am quite sure it has always been serviced by Lexus dealers so I also need to ascertain if the timing belt has ever been done.

I've been reading the forum since I got this news and have some questions...
  • Do people upgrade their brakes or is it better to just go with OEM brakes?
  • Beat-sonic beat sonic mva-12l. Any suggestions on how to find out what current radios on the market would interface easily with it? Is there a way to maintain the OEM look but add Bluetooth?
  • Other low cost things to consider, do, etc?
  • Anyone in Boston's western suburbs or metrowest with suggestions for mechanics who really know these cars?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-18, 09:00 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

On brakes, tried a number of different things over the years with different levels of success. Like what I have now. R1 concepts premium rotors drilled and slotted and Akebono ceramic pads. Using ceramic pads with OEM rotors can lead to premature rotor vibration.
Old 01-08-18, 10:29 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I am quite sure it has always been serviced by Lexus dealers so I also need to ascertain if the timing belt has ever been done.
Usually there is a sticker with the date and mileage of the TB change (on ours it was placed on the air intake as you can see below). However, you can get the service history for work done at the dealer by registering the vehicle at LexusDrivers.com and if the TB was changed it will show up.

Old 01-30-18, 10:50 AM
drobbins
Rookie

Update:

I took the car into Lexus of Palm Beach this past weekend and had them give it a good once-over. They replaced the brakes and fixed the broken radio antenna but they told me the engine and transmission mounts didn't need to be done at this time. I was also was told the timing belt had been replaced in 2010 and upon inspection, the belt and water pump looked like they were good to go for while.

The car is now waiting to be transported up to Boston (will probably late until late February or even March)! Still trying to find a good bluetooth solution and the 3M clear bra looks brutal so I will need to remove it. I've looking through this forum for info but info seems thin so I'm still hoping for recommendations.

I'm so excited, I can't wait for spring to get here!!!
Old 01-30-18, 12:09 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Regarding the motor mounts. A great way to check is a “vibration” test. Bring the car to idle, in gear, and stopped. Turn on the air conditioning. You should not be able to discern a difference as the the RPMs drop below 900. If you have the radio on, you shouldn’t even feel or notice the car is running. If you do feel vibrations, it’s an indicator of a broken motor mount or two.

Using the ADVANCED search feature, searching this forum only, you will find solutions for the andequated radio issue. I replaced mine in 2012 and attached an extensive “how to” PDF document to a thread.

Others mentioned the http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ website. You can create an account and using the car’s VIN get its dealer’s service history.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-01-18 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-31-18, 11:32 AM
drobbins
Rookie

Thanks @VVTiBob, that's helpful!
Old 02-01-18, 09:03 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There is another thread discussing clear bra removal if you're going the DIY route:

You could also try Protection Plus in Shrewsbury

-Jason

Originally Posted by drobbins
Update:

The car is now waiting to be transported up to Boston (will probably late until late February or even March)! Still trying to find a good bluetooth solution and the 3M clear bra looks brutal so I will need to remove it. I've looking through this forum for info but info seems thin so I'm still hoping for recommendations.
Old 03-08-18, 12:55 PM
drobbins
Rookie

Originally Posted by AeroTect
There is another thread discussing clear bra removal if you're going the DIY route:

You could also try Protection Plus in Shrewsbury

-Jason
i spoke with Protection Plus this week. Very nice guy but he won't touch it. They basically only work on what they've applied but he also said that with the age and condition, it's going to be brutal to remove as it will likely splinter as opposed to peel off. He gave me some tips (steamer, not heat gun) and wished me luck!

Not sure what my next move is. I may try and see how it comes off one of the rear view mirrors.