New owner of old SC430.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 02:02 AM
sfdoddsy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of old SC430.

Howdy.

I used to be a car nut (had an Jaguar E-Type as a daily driver for many years) but grew wiser.

Then as part of a conscious effort to have mid-life crisis recently, I started trying out various once expensive now cheap cars - Mercedes CLK500, Porsche Boxster, Porsche 996, Jaguar XK8 and others.

I hadn't even considered the SC430 until I saw an ad for the cheapest one (by far) in Australia at a local dealer.

So I checked it out. Very high mileage (130K ) but it looked and drove like it had half that.

Since I had already nabbed a BMW Z4 for me, I grabbed it as the 'family' car as we have a five year old. Much like the Z4 its styling has aged very well, especially with the black wheels it is shod in.

Early days yet, but it puts the build quality of the CLK to shame. It is nice having a V8 that doesn't make me nervous each drive.

A couple of questions though.

The car has full dealer log books up until a couple of years ago (120K or so). Is there anything I should get looked at preventively now?

It drives beautifully except for a slight brake squeal.

The lower speakers were shot so I have pulled them and will also install a Dension for Bluetooth and Aux. Any other audio tips?

The only real issue is the steering.

Even my wife has noted it's 'languid' feel. Not just compared to the very agile Z4 but also an IS250. It makes the car feel much bigger than it is.

Is there anything to be done about this?

Were later models better?

It does not have run flats.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sfdoddsy; 12-23-17 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-23-17, 02:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!
This is the best place to be for SC430 owners! ;-)

There are a few SC430 owners on here from Australia.

What year is your SC430?
Pictures?

At the top of this SC430 section, there are permanent threads called stickies.
there you will find a thread about buying an SC430.
please give it a read...here is a link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ned-sc430.html

Old 12-23-17, 03:49 AM
sfdoddsy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I read that post before buying.

Compared to the buying guides for the Porsche 996 I considered (engines blowing up due to an inherent defect), the Mercedes SL500 ($9K suspension repairs, transmission inherently jerky), and my experience with a CLK (torque converter, brakes, hood release, air con and parking sensors all went within three months) it was blissfully reassuring.

The car is a 2002. I have a crappy dealer pic, but assume a silver car that does not look 15 years old.
Attached Thumbnails New owner of old SC430.-img_1632.jpg  
Old 12-23-17, 09:13 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by sfdoddsy
Howdy.
The car has full dealer log books up until a couple of years ago (120K or so). Is there anything I should get looked at preventively now?

It drives beautifully except for a slight brake squeal.

The lower speakers were shot so I have pulled them and will also install a Dension for Bluetooth and Aux. Any other audio tips?

The only real issue is the steering.
Even my wife has noted it's 'languid' feel. Not just compared to the very agile Z4 but also an IS250. It makes the car feel much bigger than it is.
Is there anything to be done about this?
Were later models better?

Thanks in advance.
Make sure the timing belt, water pump, tensioner etc has been done...most important maintenance...if it breaks the engine is destroyed. Motor mounts.

Brakes, the squeal could mean they need to be replaced (squeal indicator), could be missing the plate on the back of the brake pad or they need the break grease on the back of the pad. Might be something else.

The stereo speaker foam disintegrates on all of these cars, but you can repair them for US$25, found on eBay. Not sure if he ships international. Remember, these speakers are 8ohm.
Beat Sonic makes an interface to integrate an aftermarket stereo to the ML Amp. This is what I did...still have the ML amp and speakers with a Pioneer head unit.

Make sure the steering rubber is not worn out. I replaced almost all of the steering components but all I really needed were new shocks, upper control arms and tie rod ends.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-28-17, 05:28 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2nd on the timing belt and water pump. Thermostat etc. I changed my transmission fluid (exchanged) at the local dealer. These transmissions shift rather slowly to give that "smooth" feel that you find in luxury cars.. They allow the clutches in the automatic to slip lightly to give up a harsh shift and this creates heat and allows for fluid degradation.
Motor mounts... I just replaced mine @99k. They were destroyed. Lexus used a very pliable rubber in the mounts to give a buttery smooth idle, but a drawback seems to be they degrade after time. I have pics up today of my old mounts in the same forum.

Steering... I replaced my steering rack bushings with polyurethane ones and it helped a tad. I recently found my front lower control arm bushings (rearward or #2 arms) in disrepair after attempting to have an alignment done. Very soft rubber there as well. Opted for poly bushings and purchased the arms with bushings already installed from a member in the classifieds. Have yet to receive but my guess is this should help immensely with the floating feel up front. By the way I am glad to hear "howdy" used somewhere besides Texas

Last edited by Chaditotx; 12-28-17 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-29-17, 10:41 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Chaditotx, did the change over to the poly bushings change the ride also or just the performance? (Did it make the ride harsher or did it continue to be smooth?) Or were the bushings so bad that anything would have been an improvement?
Old 12-29-17, 10:49 AM
Chaditotx
Rookie

The poly steering rack bushings tightened up the steering a tad bit and there was a little less wander. I have yet to receive the #2 control arms with poly bushings in the mail. After install I will definitely post in how they perform vs the worn stock ones. I can only assume they will be a huge improvement as one of the originals is torn.
The following users liked this post:
Harold57 (12-29-17)
Old 01-20-18, 08:34 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Ok.... installed lower rear control arms with poly bushings (also known as caster arms or #2 control arms) and had car re-aligned. I am extremely happy with the way the car handles now. Is it because the drivers side oem was torn, and now I have new bushings? I will say overall the car handles and toes in to turns much better. I feel the OEM rubber bushes may have allowed a little too much movement and not really secured the lower control arms very well. I'd like to upgrade the lower control arms to poly as well. Steering response is much more precise. I'd advise examining the caster bushings on your car and make sure they aren't as deteriorated as mine were.
Old 01-21-18, 02:52 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the club. Cheer!