SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Latest on my Airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 03:39 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Latest on my Airbag recall

As instructed by my local Lexus dealer in the beginning of the summer, I called for an appointment to have the passenger Airbag replaced after the first of October. I was informed that the parts for my SC430 were on back order and would not be available before the middle of November. I think this is a total runaround on their part. Considering contacting Toyota, but not sure where to start. Could use some help from you guys. I put the car in winter storage around November 1. Looks like the problem won't be fixed before next spring. I guess I can't have an accident with it while it's sitting in the barn.
Old 10-08-15, 08:53 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2007 SC from a Lexus dealership last week, they told me the car was traded in a few months back but they couldn't sell it because they were waiting on back-ordered parts from Lexus for the airbag recall...
Old 10-08-15, 08:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

here is the actual recall information...be sure to note that they are required to provide a rental car and a full tank of fuel.

the second .pdf instructs dealers on how they handle recalls etc and customers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Air Bag Recall.pdf (246.9 KB, 586 views)
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-08-15 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-08-15, 01:19 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Keep in mind that the failure modes happen on hot temperature climate. Hence the recall priority are the southern states, Florida, Georgia, etc..

No harm I think on your part. There will be plenty of replacement parts come next year. Please remember that this is a global recall. There's not enough capacity to manufacture the right kind of inflators in the world. Even the competitors of Takata are manufacturing these inflators to support Takata and bad publicity of airbags.

It sure did shatter our concept of the airbags!
Old 10-08-15, 02:36 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

I actually go to Florida for the winter, and have been thinking of driving the SC430 down to Naples, just to have the work performed by a dealer with more experience with SC430's, than the dealer here in Rochester, who may never have performed a recall fix on our cars. If parts are not available here they may also not be available in Naples, even though Florida is a priority state. Probably would de worth a phone call.
Old 10-08-15, 04:17 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Did any of you find the actual recall document interesting?
Maybe it is just me, but I would have liked to have a copy before I dropped my car off for the fix.
The dealer I used was honest and provided everything in the recall. Loaner, fuel fill up and wash. I know that others never received fuel...which means the dealer charged Lexus an extra $40-$50 depending on fuel prices.
Old 10-08-15, 04:31 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found it very interesting. Thanks for posting. I did not receive a complementary fill up but they did wash the car.

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Did any of you find the actual recall document interesting?
Maybe it is just me, but I would have liked to have a copy before I dropped my car off for the fix.
The dealer I used was honest and provided everything in the recall. Loaner, fuel fill up and wash. I know that others never received fuel...which means the dealer charged Lexus an extra $40-$50 depending on fuel prices.
Old 10-08-15, 05:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Helogadget
I found it very interesting. Thanks for posting. I did not receive a complementary fill up but they did wash the car.
Thanks Helo, I suppose you could always stop by the dealer and ask for a free fill up! ;-)
Also, I never knew I could have asked the dealer to pick up the car, at no charge!

I recently found out I have access to all TSBs, I will try to help anyone who wants them, but within reason.
If you want a TSB, I will need to know the year, TSB number and the exact words from the TSB title.

Just start a thread requesting the TSB and I will try to help, please DO NOT pm me...it should be available for all to use

If this is against the forum rules, I apologize in advance...

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-13-15 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-09-15, 09:37 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not get my free fuel. Dealer had car for 2 weeks.
Old 10-12-15, 04:49 PM
bviverette
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC430 Airbag...still waiting in North Houston

They have yet to confirm they can even get parts here at Northside Lexus in north Houston. They are currently "looking into it". Bummer. At least we have some spring season left. We hope.

I haven't geo-located the 'already fixed' responses, but we seem to be way down on the list....

Bill
Old 10-13-15, 03:02 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

I called the Lexus dealer in Naples Florida yesterday to see if they had the recall parts available. I was told by the service manager that parts for the recall are not available, and that he had no idea when they would get parts for the SC430. I guess that there is no point in driving the car to Florida this winter. I'll just put it in winter storage like planed, and hope for having the recall performed here in Rochester next spring. Somehow this does not seem acceptable to me for a safety related recall.
Old 10-13-15, 04:54 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just had mine done here in NC at Dealer.
Got the recall notice about 5 weeks ago; parts came in in about 4 weeks (and we're not a hot/humid area)
They readily agreed to do it without removing the dash, but by going up through the glovebox from below.
Gave me a new ES350 to drive.
Called 3-1/2 hours later to pick up the SC430.
It was washed and full of fuel.
Running fine; no issues whatsoever.

After all the grief I've had with this dealer over the years, seems I was finally due a good experience!
Old 10-13-15, 02:44 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

great news; glad it's done. where in NC are you and which dealer? I use Hendricks Charlotte as I'm in the Lake Norman area.
Old 10-13-15, 05:00 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jdave,
I'm in Greensboro.
Dealer was Flow Lexus here.
I have had horrible experiences with them over the years, but Toyota dealer can't do these recalls.
I always loved the Hendrick store on Independence Blvd when I lived in Charlotte years ago.
Old 10-13-15, 05:13 PM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nc356
Jdave,
I'm in Greensboro.
Dealer was Flow Lexus here.
I have had horrible experiences with them over the years, but Toyota dealer can't do these recalls.
I always loved the Hendrick store on Independence Blvd when I lived in Charlotte years ago.
So shouldn't the dealer give u a rental car until the parts come in? What happens if this is your daily vehicle I mean it's the manufacture fault for this delay. Either your insurance should cover this or Lexus for free rental til parts come in. =)

Quick Reply: Latest on my Airbag recall