SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

A/C blowing full blast by itself

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 01:34 PM
RoseLitoBa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C blowing full blast by itself

I am a proud owner of a 2002 SC430 that I happen to LOVE!! BUT, I am having this issue where my heater will be on then out of nowhere my a/c will start blowing and will not shut off. I have tried hitting all the buttons. I even tried shutting the car off and it still blows. I just noticed the other day while I was driving, i happen to hit s pothole and it came on, it kind of upset me so i revved the engine and all of a sudden it went back to normal. May have been a fluke cause revving the engine has done nothing sence... please help me!!
Old 12-10-17, 03:14 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RoseLitoBa
I am a proud owner of a 2002 SC430 that I happen to LOVE!! BUT, I am having this issue where my heater will be on then out of nowhere my a/c will start blowing and will not shut off. I have tried hitting all the buttons. I even tried shutting the car off and it still blows. I just noticed the other day while I was driving, i happen to hit s pothole and it came on, it kind of upset me so i revved the engine and all of a sudden it went back to normal. May have been a fluke cause revving the engine has done nothing sence... please help me!!
...is it possible that you have it set to "auto" & it's changing from heat to air, to keep the temperature at the desired setting?
Old 12-10-17, 03:23 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

push AUTO AND 65 Degrees, what happens?
Old 12-10-17, 04:09 PM
RoseLitoBa
Driver School Candidate

It stays on high a/c. No matter what setting I put it On. But when it shut off it goes right back to the heat setting I had it on prior. I've tried the auto setting, I've tried every setting there is... when it happens, it will no t shut off. Then it seems like out of nowhere it will start blowing heat again. Now, when it blows cold, its ice cold!! Now as for your suggestion, I litteraly have tried everything...question: is there maybe a relay or hi/lo switch that may be going out??
Old 12-10-17, 10:15 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

It stays on high a/c. No matter what setting I put it On. But when it shut off it goes right back to the heat setting I had it on prior. I've tried the auto setting, I've tried every setting there is... when it happens, it will no t shut off. Then it seems like out of nowhere it will start blowing heat again. Now, when it blows cold, its ice cold!! Now as for your suggestion, I litteraly have tried everything...question: is there maybe a relay or hi/lo switch that may be going out??
Do you know if the car has been in a accident? Have you tried checking the harness in back of the ac controls panel to see it they are frayed or disconnected/pinched? You said it wont turn off, so I assume the buttons don't work. If I were you I would start there.
Old 12-11-17, 09:29 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

I even tried shutting the car off and it still blows.
I think this is the key to your problem. The HVAC is keyed to the ignition switch. The fact it blows when the car is off makes me wonder if it is a relay, or a short in your blower. You can try swapping out your A/C relay and/or your Blower relay and see if you notice a difference.

If you have access to Techstream, that will aid you in diagnosing the problem faster.

If you have an old computer to put it on, you can buy a copy & Cable from ebay
Old 12-11-17, 10:32 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

First, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new acquisition.

I agree with DashingDar, it sounds like a relay problem. The pothole jolt may have knocked the relay loose and when turned back on it stays again.
Old 12-11-17, 12:36 PM
RoseLitoBa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DashingDar
I think this is the key to your problem. The HVAC is keyed to the ignition switch. The fact it blows when the car is off makes me wonder if it is a relay, or a short in your blower. You can try swapping out your A/C relay and/or your Blower relay and see if you notice a difference.

If you have access to Techstream, that will aid you in diagnosing the problem faster.

If you have an old computer to put it on, you can buy a copy & Cable from ebay
ok, sorry for the confusion but it does not stay on after I turn the car off, it turns off with the car but what I m want was i can shut the car off and when I restart it it will continue to blow high a/c like befor. Again, sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-11-17, 12:42 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

ok, sorry for the confusion but it does not stay on after I turn the car off, it turns off with the car but what I m want was i can shut the car off and when I restart it it will continue to blow high a/c like befor. Again, sorry for the confusion.
have you cleaned the HVAC sensor in the dash?
mine was full of lint when I purchased the car.

BTW, can you manually control the fan speed?

Last edited by Bgw70; 12-11-17 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 01:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

You could try cleaning the smog sensor, I doubt it will fix your problem, but a good maintenance item
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/479244-pics-of-smog-sensor-cleaning.html

you could also clean the air sensor in the dash. If you are sitting in the drivers seat, it will be in front of your right leg, in the dash. A small black vent about one inch.

Clean sensor
Dirty sensor
Old 12-11-17, 03:44 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

oh, ok...

That makes more sense. Most cars use a resistor to adjust the speed of the blower. Maybe you need a new module for yours. You can buy a used one on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/i/391642916312?chn=ps