SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

car sat for 1 year and now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-17, 07:58 AM
tjohnson32
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car sat for 1 year and now wont start

I have a 2004 lexus SC430, which sat undrove for 1 year, I knew it would need a new battery so that was replaced. I then tried to start the car and got nothing, i had plenty of power, all the lights came on and the car wouldnt even turn over. I heard the fuel pump and everything just not even a click out the engine what so ever. I also know i need to put a battery in my key but didnt think that was the problem, as this key has been dead and has ran the car before. I am getting the OBD2 out to check codes but does anyone know if anything special needs to be done., Does the key need to be programmed maybe? Any help would be great i will be reporting back with my OBD2 findings. Thanks in advance guys
The following users liked this post:
airmaui (07-16-18)
Old 12-08-17, 08:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by tjohnson32
I have a 2004 lexus SC430, which sat undrove for 1 year, I knew it would need a new battery so that was replaced. I then tried to start the car and got nothing, i had plenty of power, all the lights came on and the car wouldnt even turn over. I heard the fuel pump and everything just not even a click out the engine what so ever. I also know i need to put a battery in my key but didnt think that was the problem, as this key has been dead and has ran the car before. I am getting the OBD2 out to check codes but does anyone know if anything special needs to be done., Does the key need to be programmed maybe? Any help would be great i will be reporting back with my OBD2 findings. Thanks in advance guys
If it were a security system issue with the key, the engine would turn over but not start.
you said the starter will not move. Do you here it click?
try starting it when it is in neutral.
Old 12-08-17, 08:33 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Check relays
Old 12-08-17, 08:40 AM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a Toyota truck that had similar issue. It did not even crank because the battery was low, but all lights were on. I had a Honda Prelude that sat for more than a year. It cranked and started eventually even with low battery. Some electronics did not work after the car started, but after driving it for a few days, everything worked fine. It seemed like some electronic components stored energy and depleted over time with low battery. I wish Toyota makes its vehicles at least crank with low battery even if they won't start.

Crazy as it sounds, but is the new battery full? How about after a new full battery is installed, let the car sit for some time before starting it?

Last edited by MH6878; 12-08-17 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-08-17, 02:08 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Did you just buy the car? Possibly getting a great deal because the car wouldn't start?

If so, it maybe due to the fact the starter is bad. The sc430 has one of the worst places a starter can be. It is very difficult to change.

Hopefully I am wrong and it is just a battery issue.
Old 12-08-17, 02:23 PM
tjohnson32
Driver School Candidate

No, Ive had the car since 2011, I was the one that put the new starter in the car. Now I'm not saying it cant be bad but with 20k miles on it no matter if it sat 3 years I find that hard to believe.
Old 12-08-17, 02:24 PM
tjohnson32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
If it were a security system issue with the key, the engine would turn over but not start.
you said the starter will not move. Do you here it click?
try starting it when it is in neutral.
Tried starting it in neutral with no luck at all. Waiting on the OBD2 to come in to run a scan.
Old 12-08-17, 05:57 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Is the key battery working?
Old 12-08-17, 11:24 PM
tjohnson32
Driver School Candidate

no the key battery isnt working.
Old 12-09-17, 05:35 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd check and clean and tighten battery terminals and the grounds leads to and from engine/firewall. Will it start from a jump pack or with assist from another car? I think there have been cases where a fuse was blown (sometimes during a battery change) and it looked OK on casual observation but was bad and that stopped engine crank.
Old 12-09-17, 08:38 AM
tjohnson32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I'd check and clean and tighten battery terminals and the grounds leads to and from engine/firewall. Will it start from a jump pack or with assist from another car? I think there have been cases where a fuse was blown (sometimes during a battery change) and it looked OK on casual observation but was bad and that stopped engine crank.
i just did the battery change and made sure everything was tight, I am waiting for my obd2 scanner to come in tomorrow, I will also try and find a schematic for all the fuses and check them as well.
Old 12-09-17, 09:38 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Is it possible that the cables to the starter came loose or have bad connections?
Old 12-09-17, 11:28 AM
hotrodsrj
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Notwithstanding all the possible connection issues.... the relay to the starting solenoid is suspect IMO. I have had these failures before after letting a car sit for along time. The relay for some reason sticks open and won't supply voltage to the starting circuit. IF you can locate that solenoid relay..... I would take it out and give it a couple of taps to see if you can get it to release. I don't know if these relays are hermetically sealed.. so corrosion could be the suspect here. Just an idea.
Old 12-09-17, 11:43 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I agree hotrodsrj. Sometimes a good whack will free up a relay or solenoid. I used to have to do that with the old voltage regulators (or clean the contacts on them) to keep them working. I still have to do that with my 30+ year old air compressor in the garage.
Old 12-09-17, 06:46 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

no the key battery isnt working.
If the key battery isn't working (dead) that might be your issue, maybe something with the immobilizer?

Quick Reply: car sat for 1 year and now wont start