SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Recommended Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-17, 03:07 PM
mikail
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC430 Recommended Tires?

Hey there, I recently picked up my first SC430, a beautiful 2004 Indigo Ink Pearl with Ecru interior and am wondering what those of you who really know this car recommend for tires?

I've gotten quotes from a few dealers on the following models:

Cooper Zeon RS3-A
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus
Hercules Raptis R-T5
Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S VSBTL

Plus a few others from Les Schwab which I'm so far not too crazy about…

The Goodyear model currently has a nice $60 rebate, but that's no reason to buy if it's an inferior tire ;-)
I'm kind of leaning towards the Cooper Zeon RS3-A, but I've also read here on the forum that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus are quite good, just wondering if anyone has any other thoughts or if any of the ones I've mentioned have got good reviews from any of you?

Big thanks in advance for any thoughts you you care to share.

Last edited by mikail; 11-25-17 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-25-17, 04:14 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Great Question!

Cograt's on your new purchase, mine is just 6 weeks new to me! I am in the same Boat as you regarding Tire choice! I am leaning toward the Michelin Pillot Sport 3 A/S+. If you have the money, this is a top choice among many SC Drivers.

Also, I am considering replacing the TPS Modules when I replace Tires, that will add about 260.00 to replace all 4. My year is 2003, 15,500 miles, however I believe the original TPS monitors are in my Rims! At 14 years old, it is a matter of time before the Batteries die and will trip the Monitor. However another thought, I may just disable TPS, there is a Sticky on that subject!

Long story short, Michelin is what I will be mounting, I had them on my BMW Z4, they performed very well!!! I believe Michelin now owns Cooper Tire, I would drop them an email and ask them what the Cooper has over the Michelin! and vice--versa.

Good luck!
B-
The following users liked this post:
mikail (11-25-17)
Old 11-25-17, 06:05 AM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My car car 1/2 worn out Michelin PS2's on it when I bought it...ride was somewhat harsh...I put the Michelins mention above on....big improvement in ride and handling.
The following 2 users liked this post by sippy2:
Debs (11-26-17), mikail (11-25-17)
Old 11-25-17, 06:39 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

We put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus on our 2004 SC about a year ago. The tires are fantastic. Purchased at Costco where their tire prices and quality of service are tough to very beat were we live.

My TPMS monitors are all original. I will disable the system if any of them go out. I think the pressure monitoring system is absolutely mandatory for using runflat tires, but for regular tires I am fine with checking my own tires as I have done for last 40 years with no issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jabberwock:
Old 11-25-17, 08:55 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

The Michelin ps/3's are a great tire. Michelin owns BF Goodrich. If your on a budget, you can get Michelin technology at a discount. The BFGoodrich sport comp A/S is a great choice.

nobody owns cooper tires. Cooper tires owns some UK tire company, but cooper tire is an all American company. They are based out of Findlay Ohio.

Last edited by Coleroad; 11-25-17 at 08:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Coleroad:
Old 11-25-17, 09:11 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm running Michelins as well & haven't had an issue out of them, but if there is a big difference in the price, I might consider the BFGoodrich. I have owned the Cooper Zeon tires & really liked them also, although they weren't on the Sc.
mikail (11-25-17)
Old 11-25-17, 10:07 AM
Bre88
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently installed Michelin pilot sports 4

LOVE THEM
The following 3 users liked this post by Bre88:
Debs (11-26-17), joemg (05-16-21), mikail (11-25-17)
Old 11-25-17, 11:10 AM
mikail
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks to you all for the quick replies. Dang what a great community this is, so responsive and helpful.

So I ended up being a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus for $900 -$70 rebate from Michelin so $830 out the door which isn't too bad a deal considering the cost of the SC430 ;-)
I could have gotten them a bit cheaper, but where I live up in the Sierras I'd rather have local servicing w/o having to drive 40 minutes, and in the end the difference between local & Costco for example was only $21.
Just seems like the right fit after reading so many good reviews of this tire.
Old 11-25-17, 02:57 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Since this thread is about the recommendation of tires I am going to add one here for having the best value not for the best performance. Frankly, I cannot tell much difference in tires in terms of how they feel from the steering wheel. Its like wine, most people claim there is a huge difference, but blind tests always show otherwise. So here is the cheapest one I just put on my beloved SC430 (245/40/r18) and with that price I can do it every 20k miles to keep it safe:
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tir...is-3hm/p/11446
With $75 rebate the four tires came to $153. That's only $38.25 a tire! So, out of the door price came to $249.8 (with installation, fees and tax) assuming I get the cash rebate in six weeks. The tires are just as quiet and comfy as my last Michelins.
The following 2 users liked this post by jzdulexus:
Old 11-25-17, 03:35 PM
mikail
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
Since this thread is about the recommendation of tires I am going to add one here for having the best value not for the best performance. Frankly, I cannot tell much difference in tires in terms of how they feel from the steering wheel. Its like wine, most people claim there is a huge difference, but blind tests always show otherwise. So here is the cheapest one I just put on my beloved SC430 (245/40/r18) and with that price I can do it every 20k miles to keep it safe:
With $75 rebate the four tires came to $153. That's only $38.25 a tire! So, out of the door price came to $249.8 (with installation, fees and tax) assuming I get the cash rebate in six weeks. The tires are just as quiet and comfy as my last Michelins.
Wow! That’s quite a great price, anyone else tried these?
Thanks for the heads up...
Old 11-25-17, 03:51 PM
Coleroad
Racer

i had never heard of Barum tires. Upon looking them up I see they are made by continental tire. Hopefully that means they have good wet and dry braking. Braking ability is on the top of my list when it comes to tires. Wish I could find hard data on them.
Jabberwock (11-26-17)
Old 11-25-17, 04:42 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Typically, I would find more credence in a test conducted by independent agency like Consumer Report than a tire retailer who had an agenda against cheap knockoffs and counterfeit on the market. And we have no idea how the tests were set up, such as the braking pressure, which wheels and tread depth, etc.
Barum tire is a house brand of DiscountTire not a counterfeit. As a top tire retailer recommended by consumer report, and they are the largest in US, I would find it hard to believe Discount/America Tire would risk selling an unsafe product.
If wet braking ability is the top concern replacing tires before they hit 4/32rd is a must. Most tread starts with 10/32rd and is considered unsafe when it reaches 2/32rd. A generic tire at 4/32rd will have better wet braking distance than a top of the line tire at 2/32rd. Before the rain season starts here in Ca I am swapping the tires out just to be safe even though they still had 4/32rd left. (every 1/32rd depth usually lasts 3-5 thousands miles)

Last edited by jzdulexus; 11-25-17 at 04:47 PM.
mikail (11-26-17)
Old 11-26-17, 06:58 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Typically, I would find more credence in a test conducted by independent agency like Consumer Report than a tire retailer who had an agenda against cheap knockoffs and counterfeit on the market. And we have no idea how the tests were set up, such as the braking pressure, which wheels and tread depth, etc.
Barum tire is a house brand of DiscountTire not a counterfeit. As a top tire retailer recommended by consumer report, and they are the largest in US, I would find it hard to believe Discount/America Tire would risk selling an unsafe product.
If wet braking ability is the top concern replacing tires before they hit 4/32rd is a must. Most tread starts with 10/32rd and is considered unsafe when it reaches 2/32rd. A generic tire at 4/32rd will have better wet braking distance than a top of the line tire at 2/32rd. Before the rain season starts here in Ca I am swapping the tires out just to be safe even though they still had 4/32rd left. (every 1/32rd depth usually lasts 3-5 thousands miles)
I could not agree more about the replacement at 4/32. I've said that in other threads myself. I wasn't knocking the tire. I don't have data to give a opinion on it. CR has said the same thing that was said in the video. Nobody here said Braum tire was unsafe.

Last edited by Coleroad; 11-26-17 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-26-17, 09:02 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

The reason I recommend it as the best value for SC430 is that it was sold by the largest tire retail chain and made by a reputable manufacture like Continental. Just like if you find something of value sold on Amazon and made by Toyota you probably buy it and recommend it. And since this is a BF special thru Mon I feel its a timely recommendation for SC430s, especially those having rainy months ahead.
Old 11-29-17, 01:10 PM
bviverette
Driver School Candidate

Default XL Load Range Tires?

Has anyone considered, or had any experience with, a tire with an XL load range versus one with an SL load range? I am considering either for my 2007 SC430.

I am looking at otherwise identical (except for speed rating and, off course, load range) MIchelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tire, in XL and in SL. The XL carries a 45,000 mi warranty, whereas the SL carries only a 30,000 mi warranty.

I have read that the XL tire has reinforced sidewalls, and that the ride can be a tad harsher but handling can be a tad better. I say 'tad' because I have also read that the difference is not so great.

Given the difference in warranty, I am tempted to get the XL. If so, I will have to be satisfied with a V speed rating, which is not unreasonable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill

Quick Reply: SC430 Recommended Tires?