SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

LH Strut Rod Arm Assembly dislodged from the chassis

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 09:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts
Default LH Strut Rod Arm Assembly dislodged from the chassis

Couple of days ago, leaving the house I heard a thug underneath towards the back. Suddenly my driver’s side rear tire is rubbing on the fender. I head back to the garage. And this is what I found when I lifted the car…my LH Strut Rod Arm Assembly dislodged from the chassis. Root cause, the bolt and nut were gone…big mystery. How could the nut and bolt work it self out? It is what it is.

However the arm is now wedged tight. I have been trying to unbolt the other end so I can replace it and it is giving me misery. The nut is stuck tight. I have sprayed it with PB Blaster and I have tried some heat. It is hard to get some leverage to get some torque applied. I will try using my impact wrench next.

The other option is to cut the rod off to release pressure…

What a pain in the behind…
Attached Thumbnails LH Strut Rod Arm Assembly dislodged from the chassis-strut-rod-arm-assy.jpg   LH Strut Rod Arm Assembly dislodged from the chassis-lower-arm-strut.jpg  
Old 10-23-17, 09:22 AM
mandyfig

It is a good thing that I noticed it right away and headed back to my garage. I have a suspicion of where these nut and bolt were taken off...but I will not go further than the hunch.
Old 10-23-17, 10:33 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Mercy, that does look difficult to rectify. Good luck.

Can you use a jack someway to get it past the pinch point?
Old 10-23-17, 11:16 AM
mandyfig

I have 2 stands supporting the rear chassis. Another stand supporting the rear center mount. And a Jack supporting the ARM ASSY, REAR SUSPENSION. No matter what I do, it is not budging. I have to remove the bolt to free it up and raise it and pull it. Hence I could be looking at just cutting it free. That a pain. However it looks like nothing has been damaged. Surely will require an alignment. Just frustrating, but lucky that nothing has happened while I was driving the SC. Still thankful.
Old 10-23-17, 11:27 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

What do you think about taking off this bolt and nut? Would
it give you enough room to finagle the arm out?
Old 10-23-17, 11:31 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have a suspicion of where these nut and bolt were taken off...
Me thinks, thee thinks it was sabotage?
Old 10-23-17, 11:44 AM
mandyfig

Yes a chain of tire and services. Where I bought my set of tires, who did the alignment as well (packaged deal).

Why I bit the deal given to me, unlimited alignment checks within 1 year. I have taken it twice because the steering wheel was offset. When the alignment period was almost over, took it in for a re-alignment and remember someone telling me something was wrong, so either I mistakenly ignored it, or they were scamming me. The fact that 2 visits prior they did not notice anything and then suddenly something was missing.

My bad was that I ignored it and I did not do my due diligence in checking my suspension.

I am not making a judgement, I am just saying.

The fact is, I will never see that place again. And have forgiven them. Karma will catch up with people like them.

I hate that Costco does not have an alignment service. Lesson learned.
Old 10-23-17, 11:49 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by DashingDar
What do you think about taking off this bolt and nut? Would
it give you enough room to finagle the arm out?
In one of my early morning wake up dream, I have thought about this step as you mentioned. However, upon checking, the strut sits on the hub that is connected to the chassis. I will have to tear that down to free up the bar. Means the whole assembly needs to be torn down. I dream about this **** though. You guys do too?

My electric saw is fitted with a brand new saw, I am ready. I ordered the parts from mylparts and am just waiting for it. Thanks for thinking about it though.
Old 11-01-17, 04:13 AM
mandyfig

The lower arm support came in. Did not realize it is made from a tube, making it light. Therefore if I end up cutting it, would not be hard to do.

Now my weekend is planned, some good old SC work forthcoming. I also bought a bunch of brake bleeder screw caps, quite expensive, got it for $0.50 a piece but had to buy a 25 pack. Otherwise they are about $1.00 a pop. Auto stores will cost you about $2 a piece. I know I need at least 8 of them between the SC and the RX. Them caps brittle away after years.

way after years.
Old 11-01-17, 02:40 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Good luck with the work. Stay safe and take your time. And let us know how it goes.
The following users liked this post:
mandyfig (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 05:26 AM
mandyfig

I have been looking at Electric Torque wrenches to free up this bolt. I will try to use my electric impact wrench that I use for my wheels. If not I will get a 200 ft-lb electric torque wrench, figure it will do the job! LOL!
Old 11-02-17, 05:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have been looking at Electric Torque wrenches to free up this bolt. I will try to use my electric impact wrench that I use for my wheels. If not I will get a 200 ft-lb electric torque wrench, figure it will do the job! LOL!
I had one from Harbor Freight but it wouldn’t take some bolts off...I was frustrated and fed up and said enough!!!
went to Lowe’s and picked up this bad boy...it will take any bolt off!!! And hold on tight! 350ft/lbs
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-8-Am...Wrench/3307992
Old 11-02-17, 06:21 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Mandy, like Darrin, I can’t but think you may be able to get the rod out if you loosen up enough bolts...I keep wondering if cutting it is a bad idea.

BTW, do you have the maintenance manuals?
If so, I was wondering how the remove and replace procedure is written.

what ever you decide, be safe and share some pics if possible.
Old 11-02-17, 06:47 AM
mandyfig

Thanks for the concern.

The old strut arm support is bent and cannot be recovered. The issue is the arm is acting like a constraint, because I sit lodged on the cross members on the stabilizer frames. If I can loosen the nut and free up that end, I can just pull it up and yank it out. If I get into a bind, I will cut it off, freeing up the pressure and I can dislodge it. Then I just need to figure out how to unbolt from the other side (spindle). Installation should be easier, since there seems no other force applied to the arm while in the air. This support arm is the link that provides support while you propel during acceleration, in the forward motion. Critical piece of hardware. It is still a mystery on how I lost the nut and bolt…to start with.

Like everything else, I have slept on this for countless nights, I think I am ready to tackle this simple job this weekend. I will take pics.

Thanks again for your safety reminders and tips.
Old 11-02-17, 10:35 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Since you said it is hollow, Could you Hack Saw/Recip Saw it right here and take it out in two parts?

Quick Reply: LH Strut Rod Arm Assembly dislodged from the chassis