SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cooling fan running a lot

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 10:53 AM
sandy3421
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan running a lot

My 430sc 2005 cooling fan goes on with in minutes when I drive my car? Coollent level is fine. Temp gauge is in the midddle. If I drive my car is there any chance I could blow the engine out?
Old 08-28-17, 10:59 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Our RX was doing the same thing, it was because the right side fan had seized up and the left side had to run constantly to compensate. The engine temp ended up running high, but i think a leaking radiator contributed.
Old 08-28-17, 07:57 PM
hotrodsrj
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy3421
My 430sc 2005 cooling fan goes on with in minutes when I drive my car? Coolant level is fine. Temp gauge is in the middle. If I drive my car is there any chance I could blow the engine out?
Cooling system fans are for the air conditioning condenser and obviously the radiator. Some systems are sequential in that they bring one fan on at a time depending on temperature and/or design protocol. Fans in general only run at low speed/idle, if needed. Your car's fans should be completely off at cruising speeds.. or most are that I am aware of because you have enough airflow across the radiator to suffice without fans.

To directly answer your question(s): I doubt your fan is running so soon after start up due to radiator demand, unless you live in a very hot climate (in Phoenix on hot days my father-in-laws Toyota Avalon cooling fans can take only minutes to come on after leaving the garage for example). Your fans maybe running due to the demand of the air conditioner and controlled by a binary pressure switch(s) (full disclosure.. many automotive systems are designed differently and I am NOT intimately familiar with the SC air and they may be sequential or not). or you may have a faulty control switch somewhere in the circuit that is acting up too that is sending a demand signal to come on. So.. it simply could be this protocol for the condition that is turning on your fan(s). Secondly, if your temp gauge is reading normal and everything else looks good, there is no harm in running the SC and no.. you won't blow it up.

One poster mentioned that a fan could be out and therefore that causes an early call for "a fan" however, I don't think a fan being faulty is this problem per se. But, the poster makes a good point about how many fans are running? You actually can see them running and/or hear them running if you raise the hood and stick your ear side to side.. maybe a good thing to do anyway. When we purchased ours this spring... fan health (both function and noise) was one of the things that I made sure worked. I don't know how bad or good these SCs are with fan failures. Perhaps another poster will chime in with their stories.

Hope this helps your concerns.